552 as Update over 52 with nap 135

Possibly, but I’d try and get the NDS away from all of it.

Sell it?

I had a Nac 552 before, and a bunch of Nac 52’s,82’s,72’s…:blush:

Away from the other Naim boxes, either to the side, or another rack.

And not in the right rack where the power boxes are so I need a fraim stack for 552, another for NDS, another for 500HU and another for the power boxes. Is this what is called wide screen HIFI? :smile:

1 Like

If it’s not too much of a pain I suspect your second option will sound better. I know DB recommends not putting the 500 on the base unit of a Fraim but I find it works ok for me. Also, whenever I’ve been down to the factory I’ve noticed Naim usually have their dem 500 on a base unit, so I’ve not been too worried about that one. My ‘brain’ rack is configured like this…

From the bottom up:

500HU
Empty shelf (actually has EE8 switch and old Node to damp the glass)
ND555
Superline
552 DR

I have a base Fraim, two standard shelves and two tall shelves going base, tall, standard, tall, standard. I find this configuration and height works quite well for all the cable dressing and sounds really good to me. Just a comment on the Fraim assembly, I know there are some who like the Fraim assembled with everything just nipped up but I’ve been told by Naim, on more than one occasion, that it should be done as tight as you can physically get it and them some! My dealer did my Fraim up and I haven’t been able to shift them at all. It’s also worth checking, if the Fraim is on chips, that it’s in the centre of the chips. The spike should not touch the machined edge. Same with each Fraim section, which can be done if you build the Fraim carefully.

1 Like

Why did you give it away

Only because I needed the money,also sold my Nap 500 and NDS,for the same reason.

2 Likes

Good, that the naim equipment has its own good ple-loved used market. You can sell it easily, if you need or like.
Will also do so with my 72/hicap. Would like to keep the 52, as is a serviced one and this is rare here in Germany.

According to prices … I checked the s/h price of 252/SCDR and found out that I got my 552 for the current price of 252 (here in Germany).
It should be a no brainer not to keep it :blush:

1 Like

Today it sounds totally fine - currently Paul Simon / wristband…
Thanks @Geko

1 Like

Currently going through Burn in procedure - burn in in my head…
552 is definitely better and I will keep it … so much groove and detail.
But today I hear some edges in the sound I do not know - yesterday all was perfect (strange effect with the mood). E.g. high-hat’s kicking in.
If there is any edge - than it is not the 552… 606 in my room?
Still unbalanced? 500 missing? Oh dear - what a money pit. :joy:
300dr instead of 135? No - I will miss their groove.
Nothing is perfect… and in my room I need speakers near the wall - there are not much (sl2 is too rare for example)

500DR will do the job at some point. No rush. Enjoy the 552DR and your new speakers. You are almost there with full 500 system.

A 300DR could also be an option if you can demo the two.

2 Likes

300dr will be interim … but they are widely available these days for the same price as 135 …
I have the 135 vs 300dr thread read 3 times and I struggle with the decision as the 135 has a perfect reputation…

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother with 300. Go 500 and enjoy 135 till then. 500 even non DR runs circles around 300DR.

2 Likes

The NAP350 fills the space left by the NAP135, but never seems to get much mention on this Forum.

Is it as good as the NAP135 undoubtedly was? (Not that I ever intend to change my NAP135s.)

That’s my plan for the future … but the only one currently available here in Germany is 20k (euro) es-dem. That’s a lot…

Have thought about them too - but think 500 is ahead - and has a similar price.

Depends how much a 500 costs where Drago lives. A 300DR may work really well with what he has.

I haven’t lived with a 300DR. But with 552DR, ND555 maybe it’s a better match if similar cost as long term interim?

Look, I got 500DR at a steal and it’s much better than 135s for me. But could 300DR work for Drago?

1 Like

You might run too fast :smile:

Pro and cons
300dr is much available s/h for a good price.
But if 500 comes up the 300 will be harder to sell - too much on the market as 300NC is out

I do Not know if the 300 will work for me until I tested it :blush:

There is still a 300dr online which was part of the system I bought my 552 from.

1 Like