552 First Impressions

My Titan T 88s sound great with humble 52…… via ndx2/555drps/52.
Would love to experience a 552 but cannot see spending the big bucs on a 552-
My system sounds so darn good now and I am quite content ever since I got the better ps for ndx2.
Probably my final system….unless I get tempted to get s/h nd555
David

3 Likes

Omega,
Keep in mind it is an opinion. I understand your sentiment seeing how you Own a 252. You also have a 300, and ATC SCM40, where Graham is utilizing a 250DR and Proac tablets. He has chosen to invest his money in the preamp. Everyone has there idea of Nirvana for a system set up. And I bet both of your systems sound great, for your ears.

Scott

Also, I think people are generally only speaking of their personal views without trying to say it is a waste for everyone. I had a 52 for 8 or 9 years before getting a 552. The 52 wasn’t a waste of time at all - if I couldn’t have afforded a 552 (or had thought it was not good enough to be worth the extra) i would happily have stayed with it. It would only be a waste if having it would have delayed the 552, or ended up costing me a lot of depreciation

3 Likes

I meant to say it was a waste of MY time. I can understand why it sounds elitist. I didn’t mean it that way.

3 Likes

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation :+1:

Congrats to you from another Anti-Mulleteer. I see that, apart from sources, your system and mine are the same - 552DR / 250DR / ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures. Regarding the latter, your other thread was instrumental in my buying a pair of Tablette 10 Signatures sight unseen, so belated thanks for that.

I see we have some professional commonality as well (I was an architect in a previous life).

1 Like

Thanks Corry and nice to hear our shared commonalities. Glad the Tab 10 Sig is working for you too. I’ve some time off so looking forward to more music today!

G

1 Like

Gents Corry and GraemeH, I run my Tablettes Sigs with a modest SN2, these already sound sublime, I cannot imagine, really, it is hard for me to imagine how these respond to this level of electronics, would love to hear your views with regards to this point.

In a word…effortlessly.

The Proacs have easily shown the gains up the ladder. They really are the gift that keeps on giving in our living space.

No inclination to look elsewhere.

G

1 Like

Hi Omegaman, I think you might find that above statement is not the general sentiment here. :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Cheers @GraemeH. I look forward to hearing more about your 552 as it settles down. In my experience, it continues to evolve over a six month period, with some ups and downs along the way. And, for what it’s worth, I found the down days to be, at worst, a little bit “blah,” so I think you have a fun journey ahead of you.

C

3 Likes

‘Blah’?. I was expecting ‘Meh’. :joy:

G

2 Likes

I see that your Tabs have finally arrived - if I recall correctly you were in the process of swapping to them from ATCs. Mine took a good while to open up properly and I can only imagine what they must be like with your and Graeme’s setups. I tried Naim nSats on a 552/300 once and they were unbelievable.

3 Likes

Short of a 552, I’m beginning to think I should unbox my old ProAc Response SC1. They were ready to sell…but…lol…

Would be diverting to hear them again, now driven by the 300DR.

3 Likes

I had to re-read that. I thought you were saying the sentiment is that you don’t need to go above Statement (level) :joy:

2 Likes

I sometimes have the same thoughts with a small pair of speakers I own. They are little known and slightly one-off as they became the Ion Obelisk JC1 speakers. Knowing the designer I have a pair that have been ‘breathed on’.

They are the size of Kans and easily bettered them to my ears, having their strengths but not weaknesses, in fact they gave SBL’s a good run for their money!

It’s just such a faff to get them out of the loft, level the stands etc but I should do it one day.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve had them since April but I’ve not been able to do a huge amount of listening. I think they’re only just about broken in. I’m at the point where I’m fine-tuning the setup.

They’re now on Custom Design FS104 stands, about 60% filled with Atabites. I was unhappy with Blu Tack as a speaker/stand interface so I tracked down some Black Tack – much stickier – which seems to work better, although it still flattens out almost completely, causing the speaker to touch the stand in places, which bothers me. Still puzzling that one out, and I may try some other solutions. As is common with new speakers the nuts holding the drivers had worked a tiny bit loose, so I whipped out a Torx driver and nipped them up.

Overall, I’m happy with them, and I doubt I’ll be reinstating the ATCs, although they definitely have their own virtues. Hopefully life will get back closer to normal when school’s back in session and I’ll be able to do more regular serious listening.

2 Likes

I don’t have kids, or your exact speakers but I’m using AudioSerenity ISO-9H-35 9 isolation feet with my D2r’s having ditched Blu Tack as well.

1 Like

My stands have little carbon fibre cubes glued to the metalwork, on which the speakers sit. I was advised to use tiny bits of Blutac on top, just enough to keep the speakers secure, as they are quite light. It’s a balance between security and isolation I guess.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check those out. Also looking at Herbie’s isolation products, which seem to have a dedicated following.

1 Like