552 preamp

I’m having the same quandary… Would really like to hear the difference

If its possible you should separate power from source. I’ve heard all this stuff about empty shelves etc. but as long as the power isn’t affecting the head units you can’t go wrong. Source i.e CDP, TT, Streamer goes on top of everything. It then sounds brilliant.
IMG_0111

11 Likes

Sandwich your 552 on a standard level between your 555 and 500 and have a little listen. People buy Fraim levels and leave them empty to please their ears not their eyes - lovely as they may look….

2 Likes

Today my new 552 finally arrived. I changed dealers and the person installing it was a revelation. Took all the time to review my full set and of course carefully installed the 552.

It’s running in now and the dealer mentioned it requires a 100hrs minimum. First impression shows it is faster and slightly more direct then the previous 252. I like it. A lot (!) of detail, and I notice a better defined and more weighty bass. Very, very good.
Will report back with more impressions soon.

Ah, I also got a class #HowToEasilyConnectBurndy and learnt a lot. To be honest, I find it ridiculous Naim doesn’t do some practical YouTube videos demoing it. Every brand does that. Same for connecting my SuperLumina interconnect. I remember I struggled in the past, and today the dealer showed my how it is done. Not difficult, but you have to know. Allez Naim, create videos for that !

Iver

19 Likes

In my position…
What would you upgrade first… NDX2 to ND555 ?
Or PX the 252 for 552 pre amp?
Is the 552 that much better?

Glad it is a step up already……and you have found a like minded dealer👍

1 Like

I was faced with exactly the same dilemma and listened to 552 and ND555 at home. I went for the 552 first, as it sounded best and they had a mint pre loved unit and allowed a good trade in on my 252/SuperCap DR. That was with my NDS/PS555DR.

But, if you will eventually end up with both, I would see which comes up first pre-loved or ex-demo.

2 Likes

Lol I know I’m gonna end up upgrading both…
Source first I’m thinking… also bugs the hell out of me that there’s a big burndy port on my 555 ps that’s not being used…

Couldn’t afford new… so I’ll just keep trawling the auction sites…

1 Like

Not sure where you live but put the word out to dealers also.

2 Likes

Are they sending you food parcels yet😉 can,t wait for your 500 thoughts

Should be ready for collection any day, hopefully tomorrow. Got delayed because I had to order a set of longer (5m) SuperLumina speaker cables, as I am having a reorganisation of the room.

1 Like

Be careful it is heavy……the box for the head unit is the give away.

I’ll make sure to have 2 weetabix!

3 Likes

@andypandya1 @NigelB … I’d probaly said a week ago: upgrade to ND555 first. Yet, now the 552 is in - and just have a few hrs impression - I am not so sure anymore. The 552 impresses greatly. I think it indeed comes down to what passes your road first. Either are great upgrades

Iver

3 Likes

Indeed.

2 Likes

I’ll make sure to have 2 weetabix!

Nigel, I was at my dealers several years ago when they loaded up a customers 500 that had just come back from a Dr upgrade and service. I am afraid you will need at leasr three Shredded Wheat unfortunately Weertabix aren’t just not up to the job?

2 Likes

I have done the ND555 into the 252 and recently upgraded to a 552 both are superb upgrades indeed.

In my case I was using a NDX so I thought the source first was more appropriate in my case but a much more difficult decision if you are using a NDS or NDX2.

Enjoy your 552 it is a stunning pre amp.

1 Like

One Naim dealer who I greatly respected used to recommend a 282/150 over a 202/200 if the speakers weren’t too demanding when pairing with a CD5XS. I think @Richard.Dane once said that a 552 could quite happily be paired with a 150.

1 Like

I think a video re burndy cable preparation and connection would be very helpful.

2 Likes

When my 500 arrived I had prepared the Fraim so I could just slot it into the gap. I nearly gave myself a hernia trying and then had to rescue the steel balls, luckily the glass survived. It is possible but not the way I was trying to do it. I recommend building the Fraim up once it’s on its shelf.

2 Likes