552 preamp

My new 552 is coming on song now playing permanently for a few days. It replaced my previous 252.

I love my new pre-amp. Again a wonderful step up. There seems to be more of everything but I especially like the bettered 3D imaging and the extra level of detail. I notice the 552 is slightly more direct than the 252. The speakers I use, benefit from this additional directness.

The sound is so mature and even authorative. I had guests coming over last weekend (they know my previous set-up) and they couldnā€™t believe their ears. With the volume at 9 oā€™clock, there is such a wonderful sound in my living room. I keep on listening.

What a nice hobby

Iver

23 Likes

Mine has been running approx 24 hours and this evening Beth Orton is sounding a little harsh. Hopefully a temporary thing.

1 Like

My 2 week old 252 has dipped too hopefully it will come back on song soon, Kate Bush The Kick Inside sounds a bit off tonight :thinking:

1 Like

The 552 is stuff of dreams. It is fantastic to hear of these stories. One day this could be my dream! Congratulations to you all on getting the 552. Itā€™s a result of hard work and saving and living your dreams.

5 Likes

Canā€™t be the 252

Must be you HiFiman ! It happens, humans go through mood changes etc etc

It goes up and down a bit for the first few months before settling in to ā€˜consistently outstandingā€™.

G

3 Likes

My gosh your system has changed quite a bit over the last few years.

1 Like

Nice system :slightly_smiling_face: Is a 500DR on the cards anytime soon?

2 Likes

Youā€™re right @marcusman itā€™s been quite an- accelerated - journey. But you know, itā€™s my only hobby. Need to work pretty hard, and listening to music on my own in the evening is the single thing that relaxes me.

The journey went all the way from 5-series system to NDX/Supernait/Allae. I had that last system quite a while. A few years ago I went into the Classic series with 282/250 and that is where it really started fascinating me. Just love the sound and love to get things everytime a little better. The introduction of Roon made that even stronger; fantastic software that just keeps you listening again and again. I always dreamt of the system I now have, so expect to not make real big changes anymore. Thinking of loudspeaker cables maybe and / or powerfilter. I will also put the NUC in a fanless cabinet. ā€¦ but of course, never-say-never: I recently heart Wilson Sabrina X and canā€™t get them out of my had :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Iver

5 Likes

Hi @bongoman see my other answer to @marcusman ā€¦ for the moment I do not have the 500 on my radar. It is probably very good, but I believe my current 300Dr can easily drive my speakers and it doesnā€™t seem the ā€œweakā€ spot at the moment

Cheers
Iver

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if you saw my recent thread about SabrinaX? We have similar systems and I have pulled the trigger on going from SF Olympica Nova II to the SabrinaXs ā€¦ wonderful speakers.

1 Like

Hi @delta where can I find your thread ?
Iver

Hi @IvdZ here it is

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I thought too, until the 500 DR arrived to replace my 300 DR ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ jaw dropping doesnā€™t begin to cover it.

It may just have been the final piece in my HiFi jigsaw, but itā€™s effect was simply stunning.

5 Likes

Hi Dave, the 500DR has indeed got this uncanny depth to it, and that once heard is somewhat hard to live without :+1:t3: Enjoy Peter

5 Likes

I thought my 300dr was driving the 808s perfectly well. The 500dr I got has comprehensively disproved that. To my ears, my wallet, my roomā€¦

7 Likes

Well Iā€™ve had enough of a demonstration of the pre-loved 552 Iā€™ve had from my dealer to know that I didnā€™t want to give it back, and handed over the money today for it. The 252 and Supercap DR will be packed up at the weekend.

Iā€™ve only had the 252 for a couple of months, so a step up to the 552 was unexpected (to say the least), but Iā€™m stoked that the opportunity has come along to make it happen. Everything is sounding so good :heart:

16 Likes

A 555PS will improve your NDX2. That would be next upgrade. Give it time though and enjoy the 552.

Nice one. I think your outgoing 252/SC came from the same rack as my 555PS, who now has my SN2/Hicap. Small place NZ.

Please donā€™t say how the 552 compares over the 252, my system is finishedā€¦ā€¦

Iā€™d certainly look at a PS for your NDX2 thoughā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a pre-loved 555 here for a listen. It definitely makes a difference over the naked NDX 2. I suspect Iā€™ve spent enough on the stereo this year though :wink: (and have a Morgana DIN-XLR on courier somewhere between Auckland and here).

As the movie goes, ā€œthatā€™ll do pig, thatā€™ll doā€

2 Likes