No thanks. I will stick with my understatement
Even that weighs a ton and brings me out in a sweat during a summer clean

1 Like

552 is your next move, Dan
Don’t get 500 before preamp upgrade
I think that u recall my 52/135 system
David

2 Likes

The prices are coming down. There’s a 552 DR for £10k on well known website and matching 500DR for same price. I’m not ready financially to buy 552. But things are looking good on used market.

3 Likes

Go for the one that you find first as always with used stuff.
82/SC + Nap 500 is very good ,so you can
buy that first and then go for the 552 or the other way around.

I really do wish someone would hurry up and buy that 500DR…

It’s a good deal. They are both older and upgraded DR items hence a fair bit cheaper. I don’t think I have seen a better deal!

I don’t have the funds at moment but will do in July. I have alot of stuff to sort out though. I know that I will only be able to get one of my desired upgrades. It’s looking at 552 or new speakers or a 500.

I could buy them all but I am being sensible and will save for the rest!

4 Likes

I’ve had my eye on that one, struggling to pull the trigger on 10k

2 Likes

Yeah it’s tempting but I think I’ll stick.

I think it’s more fun and rewarding buying the items individually rather than upgrading multiple boxes at the same time. That way you really get to appreciate what each box does for your system. And it’s easier on the wallet too!

2 Likes

Only states a DR upgrade not a service, hard to believe a service wasn’t carried out though at the same time.

My 552 DR was 3 years old and I paid the equivalent of £9K…… the 3 years old was the only reason I bought it, I always planned to stick with the 252 DR and just possibly add the 300 DR.

2 Likes

That’s a great deal

1 Like

Well spotted. If it wasn’t serviced then that makes a big difference imv

2 Likes

Doesn’t a DR upgrade simply replace the boards with new ones, just leaving the old case and transformer?

1 Like

Yep, but there are caps in both the power supply and amplifier boxes that are replaced with a service. I had a service done at the same time that I had the DR upgrade done on my 300 (now) DR, and the service agent said that it was an involved job.

3 Likes

I’d strongly advise sorting your amplification before settling on speakers. I would do 552/500/speakers in that order.

3 Likes

That 500 is so tempting. I think if I were in the UK I would be in the car by now. The complication of selling my 300DR and vat implications between France and the UK both ways makes it an expensive change though.

3 Likes

This is what is a bit annoying with regards servicing and recapping with varying degrees of misinformation statements like servicing a pre-amp makes a huge difference. After 17 years without a service my 252 had a few basic things done. A wobbly volume knob, reset of balance potentiometer to electrical zero. Frequency response test without any changes to components electrolytics optocouplers ……

I am happy to be corrected here but a service by company A :wink: seems different to that of company B

1 Like

15 years is the “max recommended” service interval for a 252 but if it still sounds good then why not hang on. Mine aren’t due for another 3-5 years but I only book them in if I feel they need it. Or might even downsize :blush:

1 Like

It says the PS was DRd and serviced. Nothing about preamp. Still a good deal IMHO as they are normally £15k. Maybe it’s better to get one two or three years old for a bit more!