552DR/300DR incoming…

Why not put the pre on a higher shelf on top of the Ndx2, and the two ps , side by side on the credenza ( on glass shelves with pucks), and the turntable on a wall shelf ?

I don’t have a higher shelf and I don’t think the cables would reach with 2 PS side by side? A,so, I’m not attaching the TT to the wall, it gets little use anyway, so it’s not. A big factor in the set up.

1 Like

I remain unconvinced on the directional glass front making a difference, but since I have had a ringing noise coming when our TV soundbar (which is just above the top level of my Fraim) is playing. The comment on ringing reminded me about the “knock test” I did when I built up the Fraim - next time I hear the ringing I’ll see if it’s something in the hifi system.

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying Mike. I’ve been lucky enough to add a used 552DR to my 300DR recently. Moved across from 252DR. Was keen to approach with a healthy dose of scepticism but on reflection I think it’s worth the hype. Difficult to put into words what it adds but I’m thoroughly enjoying.

First post by the way… used to post but stopped after the new forum started as didn’t make a new account!

10 Likes

Thanks Nick and welcome back.

4 Likes

The 552/NDX2 + 555PSDR and 300DR is truly amazing :star: Had 272/555PSDR/300DR just 6 months ago and while it was a great system it is nowhere near in musicality and tone. All my former naim boxes have been versions of itself but stepping up to 552 and NDX2+555 has been mindblowing. I’d say the 555 is really needed on NDX2. Without it it doesn’t glow. True story.

With the updated system I for real get a wow feeling on every bass note played (mostly jazz). Contrabass in this system is breathtaking. It feels like nothing is between me and the musicians. It’s a huge move to something different, something much better. The flow has this easiness and lightness even though it goes really deep. Tones release so easy from the speaker membrane I can almost touch them. Highest definition from low to top and never for a second does it feel tiring to my ears.

Two days ago I added a Chord Sarum Super Aray power cord from wall to my distribution block and I’m mesmerised in music these days. Love it. It’s been a long naim journey but finally I feel like I’m home (until I can afford a 500…and ND555…)

12 Likes

I love my 552DR even with a none DR300 sounds incredible the detail and musical engagement from an mDAVE into this amp setup blows my mind, I’m waiting to see what Naim release around the new so called 300 or opt for a NAP500DR

4 Likes

I can only say that the Nap 500 is a fantastic match for the 552,made for each other.

9 Likes

I believe they were! :grin:

2 Likes

Were they :wink:

1 Like

Don’t let truth get in the way of a good story

1 Like

I think it’s good to rub it in, because it’s such an enormous upgrade from the smaller power amps.

1 Like

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: And here’s me with my lowly 300DR

:laughing:

4 Likes

My 300DR has a greeting for you.

5 Likes

You will understand when you buy a Nap 500 :wink:

1 Like

Are you running the 500 with an 82? How does it sound? I have 82, Supercap 2 and 2 x 135s. Am interested in getting 500 and 52 or 552 DR or non DR in future, depending on funds.

1 Like

Er…“when” ???!

Are you sending that cheque?

1 Like

Yes it sounds very musical and fun ! I had Nac 552 before and it is in a different level.
Skip Nac 52 and 252 and save for a Nac 552 / 500 non DR.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Even without going through the tedious burndy de-stressing routine :flushed:

2 Likes

You obviously have not been following the DCS thread. The 500 series is not where it’s at :wink: