555 PS...what are it's limitations?

I’m not familiar with your kudos speakers at all as not available in Australia but if the 250DR could drive then successfully then the 5 shelf option might be the go. I think 6 shelves looks a bit much for me DJM

I have a 5 shelf option but with Linn LP12 Klimax and Linn PS along with 252/SCDR/250DR and it’s excellent combo with my Neat XLS speakers

I have had a full 500 series based system previously but for some reason I prefer the above, maybe room or my ageing cloth ears .

And don’t underestimate the SN3/hicapdr combo it’s pretty damn good and great value . I have that in another location running a CD based system with another LP12 and it’s really good. I have heard with the ndx2/xpsdr and it’s mighty fine

Cheers

4 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Bevo…Would a SN3 and a Supercap give the 282/300DR a run for their money?

I would have to pass to @Richard.Dane on that one as I’m not sure one can use the supercapdr with the SN3 ?

I still think even if you could I think 282/300 would still sound better

1 Like

And let’s face it the 300 is better than the 250 but it’s a matter of compromise and getting the balance right

When I let the 500 series go ( as moved house ) I was looking to go 4 shelves but at the end of the day couldn’t get there so the 5 shelf system struck the right balance for me. I prefer the 4 shelf look but for my main system it couldn’t work, a step too far

1 Like

Agreed…getting the balance right :+1:

Ahh the same here… didn’t realise you had gone down that path too… I agree it’s a fantastically performant combination, that Etude is cracking… incredible bit of kit.
For me Naim make some of the best streamers, hence I made my choice, unfortunately I fell out of love with their amps.

No

1 Like

What? You got rid our your 552/300? I haven’t been on here for years but I remember you got it after gambling on bitcoin.

Either get the 555ps or an external dac. The xps is just just going to force you to eventually buy a 555.

Yes, you can use a Supercap with a Supernait3.

1 Like

so the etude sounded better than your previous 250DR?

That is correct… in the end I moved on, and for me it was the right move… I trust my loved 552 is now being enjoyed in its new home.
Box count and real estate reduced and top performing SQ and the power to really drive and grip my ATCs beautifully.

I did toy with (combined) Actives including from ATC… and although they have some advantages, they just didn’t bring the overall performance I had come to appreciate from a quality power amp driving passives in my listening room.
Overall in my experience system synergy counts for a lot… although the Chord Hugo1 matched Naim amps very well… I think that was unusual… it was not the case for me for other more performant Chord sources… it wasn’t until I got into high end planar headphones that I realised what I was missing, so I got curious. Alas I never completely gelled with the Naim PCM1704K and IIR based filter reconstruction DACs that Naim use in their top end streamers… I just feel there are some sonic aspects missing compared to alternates like the Chord custom noise shaper pulse array DACs with FIR reconstruction, perhaps it is based on how I listen and cerebrally decode audio… Anyway top end Naim NACs and NAPs tend to seem to sound their overall best to me with Naim sources… so the die was set.
Obviously YMMV …

1 Like

Did a click snd collect from my dealer who had an Accuphase £10k integrated playing…much better than i expected. @Tonym now has an Accuphase integrated powering his DBL,s instead of active 500,s, and he is pleased with his box count reduction and SQ. Just a thought…

Not me mate - DJM looking for options/advice

1 Like

There are options to reduce box count (down to 2 boxes), while doing better than a full 500 series in terms of sound quality.

But, of course, at a cost…

Thank you Thomas, I am auditioning some.

Best, BF

1 Like

Which options are you considering?

I did audition Soulution 760 into Soulution 711. Outstanding!
Will also try the CH Precision C1 into CH Precision M1.1

Thank you Gazza. Send Tony my best regards next time you see him. We speak over the phone from time to time. A wonderful enthusiast.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,
I’m sure such equipment is tremendous but it is a little beyond my pay grade. I do like reading about your auditioning experience though.

Keep up the good work!

Best regards, BF

1 Like