555PS DR servicing - impressive improvement

Ahh that depends what you connect it to.
The NDS or ND555 yes, arguably they prefer the 555PSDR… after all they were designed for it.
The NDAC on on the other hand arguably sounds better on the non DR 555PS…
Obviously this is subjective… but was my experience, and a few others have had similar experiences so might be something in it.

On the big powersupplies I do find semi regularly, such as every 6 to 12 months, undoing the Burndy cable and give it a gentle ‘workout’ really improves the performance … kind of sounds like a mini service.
Only downside just make sure no one can see you massaging the and flexing the cables…

4 Likes

Tks 1000 Simom,I believe I will follow your advice: 555ps recap.
It might be enough to warm up slightly with a hairdryD:
Giovanni.

Interesting. Was that ONLY only due to aging, or were there design improvements in the interval?

Rather concerning if a 500 class component started to sound significantly worse after only 6 years.

Claude

Hi,
I can’t tell that the former was significantly worse, however the fresher one was a bit more open and refined mabe that components batch changed in the meantime.
Morever either my former 555 and '09 CDX2-2 layed turned off unused for a long time.
The above, according to my Naim service manager is particulary detrimental for tantalum caps
and in the 555 head there is a lot of these.

Regards
Roberto

I think there were some software updates in between those 2 units. Any older units are brought up to current spec. I know my 2007 model had some updates in 2014, then I sent it off for a service after buying it 2019 just to make sure it was all at current spec.

It’s a great bit of kit, no doubt about that.

Hi Rack,

Do you know what was updated in 2014, perhaps from the service sheet?

When I asked my dealer about having my bought-new late-2007 (IIRC) model serviced, they indicated it wasn’t necessary, on the basis it’s working OK. It seems to be playing OK to my ears and has never needed a return to Salisbury. I pray to the mech gods every time I use it!

Luckily the paperwork was in the office.

The player had a broken spindle repaired and that’s when the software was updated from CDc05-09 to CDd05-09 along with uprated tants.

Obviously I can’t say what the differences are having only had the player since the work was done.

Guess you could always just send it off via your dealer when the factory reopens just for your own piece of mind or if you have no issues, then leave it as it is. It’s a heavy old thing to move around and it’s more likely to suffer damage during transportation. I’d be tempted to leave things as they are. If it aint broke and all that…

Cheers, Rack.

1 Like

Thanks Rack.

I concur with your thoughts …if it ain’t broke and all that. I don’t want a mech change, using up what could be scarce resources, unless it needs it. My spindle is fine at the moment (all things crossed).

The servicing of the 2x555PSDRs has certainly helped a lot.

No problems at all HL.

The spindle failures seem to have something to do with CDs with slightly smaller holes having to be forced over the spindle. All of my CDs played so far have dropped in easily and any that don’t, I’ll just sand some of it down till they do.

I’m only using one 555DR and don’t have any plans to go dual supply. I think I’ve got enough boxes as it is! :smiley:

Cheers, Rack.

All I can say is you’ve dodged a bullet–my CD555 spindle insert snapped in half due to as you state
with the pressure caused by seating the slightly smaller disc centres–damn nuisance but you cannot play if they do not “click” into place. Some of my CD’s would not even allow any “seating” on my spindle.
Consequently the player sits idle unable to function-and yes that 1c sized piece of polycarbonate( or whatever) necessitates shipping the 20kg unit back to the Factory for a total mechanism swap.

So you are blessed you don’t have to follow suit.

D41

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.