555ps dr

It depends on what it’s used on, and the overall system. With a NDX2 it wouldn’t be fully utilised and is, in my view, an over investment with funds better spent elsewhere in the system.

2 Likes

Allow me to quote from The Complete Guide to High-End Audio by Robert Harley (and the book is quite un-Naim-ey):

This might be a stupid question (or already discussed), but how even a current would a 24v Lithium battery in a black box give? You might charge it when not playing, then the charger components disconnect when feeding a HiFi device

I am sure there is more to it than just being smooth. The modulation of the DC by the audio signal must be as accurate as possible, including, e.g. during steep transients. This is probably not easy at least with the currents involved in an amp.

I’m obviously an outlier here I have always found the move up the ladder (202->282 etc. ) to have far more impact than power supplies added to a particular level.

I still remember the uplift from CD5x - flatcap2 ( which I loved) to CDX2. I’ve no great recollection of the effect of adding an Xps2.

Similarly CDS3 from XPS2 to 555PS and Supercap to 282.

Not snake oil by any means but I feel they are over venerated in this particular temple.

.sjb

I’ve been running NDX2 bare for two years, patiently waiting to afford the 555 ps. I’ve heard it just once in a shop demo and I was absolutely sold on it. The most noticeable improvement I felt was the absolutely sublime attack and release on notes together with more controlled bass.

Question to 555 owners: how does it improve the quality of low volume listening? I can imagine this would also be a major plus point?

Thanks,
Steve

I found the addition of an 555PS DR a huge overall improvement in every aspect when added to my NDX2. It’s well worth the price difference over the XPS DR.

4 Likes

You bet! Will it feed the CDS3?
I did so with a CDX2-2 later i upgraded to CD555 and eventually added a second 555 PS DR
Regards
Roberto

I use the 555 on the nds … happy where I am

I’ve only had my 555 two weeks, but improved SQ at lower volumes is one of the aspects I noticed immediately.

3 Likes

How long are you waiting for new to arrive I should be ordering mine next week. Will you let me know how you get on.

I ordered the 555 PSDR (along with some other stuff) in February and it arrived last week. Getting installed next week.

4 Likes

Got a preloved one off the well known auction site a couple of weeks back. A lovely uplift on my 272. Really happy with it.

1 Like

The low volume listening is the 555ps party trick. Just done some early morning listening and let my ears adjust to the lower volume. Amazed at how low the volume was yet the enjoyment level was still there.

1 Like

PS555DR incoming via DPD between 11:24 and 12:24 today.

Replacing XPS-DR which is no slouch itself in the upgrade stakes for a NDX2, in my case.

Arrived 11:25 - courier obviously needed to get home for lunch…

7 Likes

Been playing the 555/NDX2 for 90 minutes now, and still settling in with the new-to-me S-XPS Burndy.

“Less muddy” sound than with the XPS-DR was how the dealer described it, - greater clarity and more defined bass. The 555 DR is an eBay purchase from a Naim dealer, approximately a year old. It will be about £2k cost-to-change for me, worth it in the context of my system.

3 Likes

Congratulations on your now 555 I have just ordered one today and was told at least 2 months wait. Still using non dr xps for now.

1 Like

This can have a big as effect as the PSU itself. I’ve tried loads lately. Glad you’re enjoying your 555 DR, with moving up to a 500 Series system in the long run it certainly makes good sense…

He might have been able to drop it off earlier, but some firms don’t allow it. I had one delivery where the guy had to wait outside my house until the start of the one hour slot as his scanner thing stopped him scanning the parcel baroda before the allocated time.
Anyway let us know how different the 555 is from xpsdr.

Glad to see my 555PS DR went to a good home, enjoy. :blush:

2 Likes