5Pin Din to 2 RCA cable

Whew Cuppa tea and a lie down! :face_with_thermometer:

D41

Pins 2 3 and 5 are from the soldering side and it goes into the amp this exact way, so 2 3 and 5 are always on the left side of the din plug. You need to solder the opposite side for the outputs which are 1 and 4 solder side and the diagram shows clearly that the left side of the din plug is soldered.
People are getting confused because of the diagrams showing the NON-SOLDERING side. I’m making some 2 rca to 5 pin dins myself and you should always work from the soldering side.

It certainly confused me! It may be an idea for @Richard.Dane to add something to the FAQ. Probably not a picture, which doesn’t really help, but a clear statement that says ‘if you want to get a lead to feed a headphone amp from a Naim preamp, get it soldered to pins x,y and z’.

I say x,y and z because I’m not sure myself now.

1 Like

I am not a fan of telling people how to do something, unless I am sure I know more about it than they do.

A simpler alternative is to ask the cable supplier for a Naim DIN to 2xRCA for a headphone amp.

Even eBay sellers seem to know the different wiring configurations.

Any electrician or engineer wants a diagram, the less words the better.

1 Like

I went into this thread knowing the answer, then doubting myself, checking, doubting further and am now back where I started ( knowing the answer).

But, as an engineer it is my job to specify what I want rather than accept what I am given. I work to a standard and compromise only when it is necessary ( in my proper job, more than I like!)

I recently purchased a similar RCA to DIN connector from Ebay to allow me to bring in a RCA device to my NAC 72. I read what was on offer, but when challenged/confirmed what I wanted it for, the seller simply told me again what it was he/she was selling without explicitly answering my question.
There may be many reasons for that, perhaps they thought they were clear. I was trying to confirm what I thought I was buying.

But I get that many on here will rely on the seller selling what they want rather than what the seller wants to sell you.

But, given the confusion this thread has created to a simple question, the Id agree that something in the FAQ would be useful. However, I also recognise that Naim’s answer will be “just use DIN”

Ian’s picture is correct and it aligns with Richards image of the tape in/out, no surprise there!

As Ian says, it isn’t difficult, I was making these cables up as a kid!

It might help your understanding if you plug the ‘pin shell’ of the din plug into the tape in/out socket and assuming that you are viewing the back panel as per the image, you can then note the backs of the pins now facing you and note which pin aligns with each description in the diagram very kindly provided by Naim on the panel below the socket.

Or you could get a cable wired for both in and out and just use the ‘Output’ phonos into your headphone amp, you can leave the input phonos plugs unused. As far as I am aware this is a pretty standard din to phono cable for connecting tape decks.

Pull the plug ‘pin shell’ out of the equipment socket before soldering!

1 Like

Me too…!!

Back in the day, DIN’s were more common than Phono’s. In fact, thinking back, I have never had an amp with phono’s. Other than my NAC42 which came with Phono sockets on the Phono input, but was swapped out to BNC’s a bit later.

Good advice - plugging the ‘plug’ insert into a mating socket. In fact a separate mating socket makes a very good support for soldering. I wouldn’t recommend using the socket on your Naim prodict for this, though…!!! :thinking:

1 Like

My word - if only peace in the Middle East were so simple.

3 Likes

Din plugs used to be the norm for me, my first stereo amp and domestic tape recorders.

My first amp a Keletron KSA, a full 7W per ch!!
Vintage-Keletron-KSA-1500-MKII-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER
Vintage-Keletron-KSA-1500-MKII-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER|400x299 back

Note: actual wood veneer sleeve on a ÂŁ15 (new) amp, 2 pin din sockets for speaker connections and reference to handbook on how the pins are wired. :0)

1 Like

Now added.

Just to confuse matters…

Imagine my confusion when I replaced my trusty A&R A60 with my first Naim amp, and discovered that I needed an RCA interconnect to hook up my LP12 (my only source) to the NAC. That just didn’t seem right at all.

2 Likes

Same here…!!! My Rega Planar 2 had had a DIN plug put on it, to mate with the A60.
OMG - my new Naim 42 was Phono…!!! :thinking: :upside_down_face: :rofl:

1 Like

Seems to have been a common problem back then. Still got my A60, always hoped to get a second system going with it, 30 years and counting!

1 Like

Exxx-cel-ent…!!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.