6 Nations 2022

Watching France it was the ferocity at the ruck/counter ruck that created havoc. They did OK at set piece but not especially dominant.

England don’t seem to be able to create quick ball, and they appear not to be bothered about it. SA have perfected their brand of set piece, one phase into contact/box kick and chase and England appear to be trying to copy it. Badly.

Let’s hope for some pace and imagination today. From Italy maybe!

Bruce

I love an optimist. They might throw the ball around but struggle with tackling, although I do agree they’re entertaining.

This is the problem, can’t add much more.

There’s always the new coach inspiration to motivate an established squad, eg Ireland and Scotland, but for England there are some consistent good combinations at club level worth trying instead of mix and match.
To highlight the point - Dupont’s try yesterday was made by Ntamack who passed blind because as the commentary said “he instinctively knew he’d be running that line”.

Confidence is a big thing for the younger caps so I wish them a good game later. But pasta for dinner anyone?!

And to think I chose to stay in to watch that instead of going out in the rain to do the food shop.
Turgid, predictable and uninspiring.
Don’t think @Eoink (or anyone else) will be worried by that at all !

1 Like

Hard to think that NZ would have only put 33 on Italy…

Yes, pretty disjointed. Some good individual skills, not much cohesion, the concession of penalties under pressure, and lots of handling errors in attack. Italy looked at least as fit as the match wore on.

Injuries aside I hope EJ keeps the team together to build some continuity.

FWIW I thought Genge was man of the match. His pass to George alone won if for me!

Bruce

2 Likes

Italy v England -

Sadly, after last week’s match v France, it was as if the Italian team coach had told them to go and play like England e.g. ship pen’s, play without shape and make unforced errors (all tick).

On the other hand, it was great to see a highly energetic England 9 & 10, often mixing it with the opponents, with the ball going through the hands. Although why Randall was replaced on 54 mins is a mystery, as surely his qualities shine more as the oppo tires, and it wasn’t a fast game by any standards. Dombrandt also did well for me in showing how good his hands are.

England’s professionalism won through via the skills at 9/10 and controlling the bulk of possession but I’m not sure Italy, based on recent performances, left the changing room.

For England, it evidenced what they’ve been missing at 9, in not having a terrier-like SH.

I’m ashamed to say I fell asleep, after yesterday that game was such a disappointment.

1 Like

You cannot help but think that England may be visiting the taxidermist when they play France and Ireland, based on performances to date in this 6N’s.

2 Likes

Turgid is the word. Ireland and France have much more flair and imagination in the back line. I suspect a very so so 6N in prospect for England again. Disappointing to see them kicking so much ball away.

1 Like

I don’t know much about the technicalities of rugby but despite the commendably high score and retaining a clean sheet, I was a bit concerned at the number of English errors and lack of consistency. If I read it correctly, they also seemed to have less match fitness than the Italians, seemingly running out of puff in the last quarter.

I do find the six nations competition compelling as things can change between match weekends with the swing in advantage of home crowd support. There will be plenty more twists in the 2022 tale but England appear to have much ground to catch up on France and Ireland. Goodness only knows what mischief Scotland and Wales will add to the mix!

Peter

3 Likes

So Tuilagi is in, oh sorry no he is not! Daly or Marchant aren’t going to be similar replacements, but maybe noone is.

I am pleased to see Lawes back and Randall starting, but is there really no way to accommodate both Simmonds and Dombrandt in the starting back row? I just want to see both play.

Wales v England the tie of the weekend but is it only me that think Scotland might just give France a fright?

Bruce

Am I allowed to mention the Super Rugby, great game tonight NSW Waratahs v Qld Reds.

Sure. Enjoy.

Is that League?

Wash your mouth out, of course not. :rofl:It’s the Pacific Rugby equivalent to the 6 Nations.

Glad I’m not the only one confused and frustrated at Eddie’s weird world :joy:

At a press conference this week he was praising Tuilagi’s firepower and how much he brought to the game when he was ‘full throttle’ … err he’s been out with injury, not match fit and had a poor game for Sale last week. So why is he even in the squad never mind a starting lineup?
But the silver lining is that he may keep a consistent back line to feed off Marcus Smith who is maturing into a great play maker (as long as Youngs speeds up and stops kicking poorly - Wales are very good under high ball and will counter attack easily).

I rate Courtney Lawes highly but I agree he needs another explosive attacker like Simmonds or Dombrandt.

Should be another good game, both evenly matched at the moment. Possibly decided by the discipline and penalty count again? And it’s at fortress Twickenham!

1 Like

Just seen the updated team selection - Randall at SH. Great news! Hope he stays on for the whole game.

1 Like

Having watched the fine dining experience that was Scotland v France in the first half, we’ve now been served stodgy pudding with cold custard in the England v Wales game.

5 Likes

Good analogy - Indigestion again.

If you look at that game analytically England were lucky to hang on to a win. In the first half they had nearly 70% possession and only kicked 3 penalties, gave lots of effort but were not productive and looked a bit aimless, and only just held off Wales in the second half who came back with real fire & passion and scored 3 tries.
In the commentary they were asked (tongue in cheek) to sum up the first half in one word … mine rhymed with night.

In contrast, Les Bleus were scintillating. Thought they looked like a real world-class team who have a complete game and strength in depth. They were also tactically aware of options and possibilities, which they executed well.
Scotland were very good but France were simply better.
The game was a credit to international rugby and a joy to watch.

1 Like

I think that France are a class apart this 6N. They are probably the best team in the world right now, and if they go on to win the grand slam they thoroughly deserve it. England were good for their win today. Wales were second best, but to say England don’t play scintillating rugby like France is clear for all to see. At the moment they are not capable, France are the better team.

2 Likes