72/Supercap -Mad pairing/staged progression : advice needed

So I can’t immediately afford to buy a 252/supercap. I’ve just sunk cash into an LP12 - Radikal, Kore, Audio Origami PU7 ti, DV XX2, Urika. Heavenly. I run a serviced 72, HiCap, 250-2, ATC19 set up. My intent is to upgrade to a 252/Supercap/250 (possible DR upgrade) or 300.

Has anyone ever run temporarily a 72 with a Supercap? My logic being, buy the Supercap. Then a while later, make the jump to a 252. I’m not convinced about a hop to the 282. I like to really jump when I upgrade (my previous TT was an Axis!).

Will the 72 get blitzkrieg’d by the Supercap? Should I just save longer? Any mad pairings to share? Naim Forum wisdom sought…

1 Like

A Supercap is pretty awesome whatever it’s connected to and I’m sure you’ll love it on your NAC72.

4 Likes

You could go for an 82 with the Supercap which is a mighty fine combination as it is. That’s what I have and if I want to upgrade in the future my path would be a 552 from that! I am sure a 72 will be fantastic too! If you have it already then keep it and get the Supercap. You won’t be disappointed and will provide a good interim until you get the wonderful 252!

Supercap or Supercap DR…
:thinking::grin:

1 Like

thanks, Dan - so you don’t think the SC will saturate and overwhelm the 72 (which I do have)? That’s really my question. It’s combi stepping stone. But I don’t want it to sound shrill or grainy

so you don’t think it will overwhelm the 72 Richard? It’s obviously a stepping stone and on paper it sounds very unbalanced as an idea - hence me seeking collective Naim
wisdom!

It’ll be fine.

2 Likes

:+1: :pray:

About a decade ago when i tried SC vs Hicap with 72 (and 135s) i found it merely sounded very slightly different, and was happy enough to stay with the Hicap. However, later i found a hicap classic to better the olive hicap.

If the 72 had Burndy connection i’m sure it would then make a lot more sense :grin:

4 Likes

As a stepping stone it makes sense and is a good call. I would be very interested to see how you get on with it. I had 2 hicaps on my 82 and the supercap 2 was an uplift.

It will work well and give you the space to enjoy the music and fund the 252.

1 Like

You have a wonderful Lp12 as your source and it will sound sublime. Enjoy the Lp12 with your new upgrade. You won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s very unbalanced as a combo at all. It will be great!

1 Like

Thanks for the wise counsel Dan. Right, were is the piggy bank… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Debs. Maybe a marginal gain until its replaced with a 252…:wink:

1 Like

I’m with Debs here. I ran one for a short time, but found it a bit too much in my system and actually slightly preferred a Hicap. If however you don’t have a Hicap and this is a stepping stone further up i’d certainly use the SC as opposed to finding a Hicap.

2 Likes

I used mine with a 72 until I found a good 52, as I knew that’s where I was headed and a nice Olive SC came along.

Marginal vs the HiCap, but not a downgrade by any means.

The 72 is one of the best amps Naim ever produced, regardless of price (I have one, in a box, just because). I’ve never heard a 72/SuperCap myself, but I’m told it’s a great combination. If I was in your shoes - running a 72, aspiring to a 252 - I would get a SuperCap in a heartbeat. You have nothing to lose.

5 Likes

Thanks Corry. I agree. It’s also why I’m not moving from a 72 to a 282. I’m not convinced it’s a beneficial leap. And I’ll be definately doing a home test before I jump to a 252. Thanks for the encouragement.

1 Like

I moved from a 282 to a 72, if that helps.

3 Likes

You’re welcome, and I’m glad to be of help! The only thing I would add is that my comment assumed that you were familiar with the 252 and were already committed to making it your endgame preamp. If you’re not there yet, definitely give yourself the time to get to know it well. Everybody hears things differently, and forum opinions, mine included, only count for so much (you’re probably already aware that opinion is divided on the relative merits of the 282 and 252). Anyway, best of luck, and keep us posted.

1 Like