808 inbound

Well getting itchy now about getting home, 2 new updates to sort out.
But at the same time enjoying mid 30’s down in France in the motorhome.

1 Like

….and speaker set up :+1:t3: Peter

4 Likes

My piano black lacquer 808s never cease to please, both visually and audibly.

You will not regret, just sit back and enjoy.

We live close to Snape Maltings. R3 regularly do “live” broadcasts of music that we have been in the auditorium to hear live. Quite stunning what the Naim/808 system delivers.

Geoff

2 Likes

Room treatment is not happening in this house at least, maybe the next one when we down size in about 2 years time and i might get a chance then.
But room treatment right now would cost me my marriage and it’s not something i want right now

2 Likes

Well home after a lovely 3 plus weeks away.
808’s are coming down a week next Wednesday so that’s something to definitely look forward too.

4 Likes

Not all treatment is either bulky or unsightly - some mid to high frequency absorbers or diffusers can double as pictures on the wall, with any artwork of your choice, and not terribly thick, while if a hard floor thick rugs on the floor can make a house much more homely.

Yes i have seen it all and even had talks with one company, as said its not happening.
Plus i dont even like the look off it all if i am being honest and if i was going to do it then i would not want panels sticking out all over the place as i think it looks horrible, i would do it right and build new walls, etc.
Plus to a certain extent i quite like how my room sounds, the only real issue is the cabinet by the side of one speaker, as i can make that rattle a bit when playing loud or very bass heavy tracks.
Already have a good rug, lots of pictures down the main wall to help diffuse, large settee and heavy curtains opposite end of the speakers. It does sound certainly more likely than dull, but as said on the hole its not too bad and could certainly be much worse.

Dunc, when are they turning up?

I’ve just been moving mine, closer together and further out into my room. Quite liking what I’m hearing, getting ready for the impending darker evenings and full on music evenings! Call it fine tuning!! They look gorgeous, and deliver in spades.
All speakers are a work in progress, like children the more attention they get the greater the rewards. I know room treatments are always an option but speaker positioning can yield great results. As we know, we all hear things differently, mood affects as well…even wine!

20 Likes

This Wednesday coming
Been getting things ready, complete strip down of the fraim and clean up.
Moved a few bits around for better cable management, plus wanted to get my headphone amp back on the rack and this needed things to move about a bit.
Already got the boxes out the roof, just in case.
Even moved my speaker cable out so it can easily be swapped over.
Podiums ready to be swapped over for some decoupling spike plates for the 808’s so to protect my wooden flooring.
Can’t do much more i think till they get here.

So all ready for them.

5 Likes

Well they are in and working.
First off, they sound slightly different to the pmc fact 12’s, but its not a huge difference.
They are now just sitting in the same place as the pmc’s were, so no messing about as yet as need to adjust first and then we will see about different positions.
No toe in, just dead straight.

Ok, what do they sound like. The bass has an extra layer of weight to it, its tighter as well and no boom, which is what i was really worried about in my room. Its just as fast as the pmc’s but its certainly feels like its less stressful or maybe the pmc’s being a smaller driver and transmission bass, makes it sound more more forced to get the bass levels ? Not sure but the bass is certainly an inpovement.
Midrange, once again different and i would say less in your face over the pmc’s. They sound very natural, warm and smooth, not saying the pmc’s Midrange shouted at you, but these sound calmer.
Treble, this is i would say is very close between them and right now i can’t say much more really, obviously as i get to hear more then differences might become more apparent.

But i would say the biggest difference is that they just fill the room so much more than the pmc’s and it doesn’t seem to matter where you sit to listen to them,in my room the pmc’s had a sweet spot and out side that you really noticed the difference, these not so, a lovely sound stage thats just filling the room, its like i have a few speakers dotted about all round the room.

So placement doesn’t look to be a problem at all and if anything are far easier than the pmc’s.
Yes they are wider than the pmc’s and so right now look rather large next to my rack, but they aren’t as deep and about the same height and if anyone is reading this and worried about placement in your room, then i would stop worrying now and get yourself a demo booked.

As said its only been a few hours so far, so very early days yet and obviously will update as things progress.
But the boxes are in the roof already and yes they went through the loft hatch.

Cheers dunc

13 Likes

Very good assessment of the 808 sound. The fact that the bass doesn’t over power in a smaller room surprised me also. That “warmth” in the mids that you referred to I would describe as body and texture. Enjoy!

Pictures or it didn’t happen!

Seriously though, they sound amazing, and really interesting that the consistent comments about them are flexibility of placement. I really wonder how that is achieved, even more so if it is due to deliberate design. I wonder if the phase plugs contribute to this in any way?

They are glorious speakers, slightly jealous inevitably!
I had a good few hours in the company of a pair this Monday just gone, Moon power amp and Linn KDSM/3, very addictive, enjoy!

Very good news, specially as they don’t have a lot of space around, if I remember well your system in your room.
They seem very room friendly.

Pics later, yes i was very pleasantly surprised and just wish years ago i would have tried them, rather than listen to the dealer that said “no way will they work”

Well thats my initial thoughts, but it didn’t take long for me to decide that they were staying and i loved my 12’s

Yes it a bit tight, but it works. Plus like i said they are even happier than the smaller fact’s in exactly the same position, but they certainly look much larger from the front and they are only about 10cm wider, but they look much more, certainly fills my wall. Lol.

1 Like

What finish did you go with? I stand alone on this forum for my love of the white finish I think! My partner actually chose the colour, she did not like any of the wood finishes! White/Black/Tineo would all have worked for me. Having said that she does not like the natural cherry fraim and has asked me to change it to black a number of times now!

1 Like

A bit of live yello, well my god the bass is just superb, fast, deep and pushing my in my chair, maxell tape add rings a bell.
Certainly sounds front row, you know directly in front of the speaker stack lol.

But just in ore of it already, its certainly taken me to a new level and to be fair i didn’t think it was possible to do that in my room with its limitations, but i don’t mind saying i was wrong.

10 Likes

Tineo, but these are secondhand so didn’t get a choice, but for the cost to change i would have been ok if they were pink with yellow spots. In fact still can’t get over how little the price difference was, very happy boy.