A 'crime' help is required

I hope your dealer will sort out the situation – I feel it wouldn’t be unreasonable to pester him a bit more. Surely, Naim and/or the distributor in your country should be able to advice when you can expect your ND5’s arrival – the telephone and/or email should be your dealer’s friend!

Personally, I would rather wait a bit longer and get the gear you want (i.e. the ND5) than a second-best option you might regret after a few months…

The main question was about the meaning of the line in the 5si pdf :slight_smile: Not sure auralic guys study Naim’s manuals.

Is Chord available in your country?

A Chord Qutest (plus a Raspberry Pi based streamer, e.g. from Allo) could be a great alternative.

I use a Hugo 2 with Hugo 2go into a 282/250 – love it. The Qutest is basically the non-portable version of the Hugo 2 (without headphone amp).

I tend to agree with you. However, waiting is not my strongest side - that is how I came to Naim. I speed up a little the process of buying Yamaha R-N803 and finished with 5si.

My guess is they use the same chip and it would definitely difficult to replace without altering performance

That is I’m afraid as much use a chocolate teapot in a heatwave , reading it I think Pauel feels a little unloved and there is clearly a communication gap .

To be blunt I would ask his dealer about trading in the 5si and switching to a Star or Atom , my guess is with generous trade in -the difference may not be vast. (I am always generous with other people’s money)

My sympathy is with both Pauel and Naim equally here -simply because I worked for a plastics firm in the middle an oil shortage and know how production is being taken out of Naim’s hands. Naim would like nothing more than to make Pauel a happy camper

Exactly!

Clearly a huge communication gap, staff coming onto the forum saying one thing and dealers being told something completely different.

To clarify, the info I have shared is taken from the official comms sent out to our distributor/retailer network

3 Likes

There is an almost identical price option which is using an Atom HE as a source into the 5si and then at some stage fitting a power amp (say a 200)

The Atom and NAP 200 were/are reputed to work very well together , but I don’t know about the Atom HE

I just feel for you as clearly there has been some miscommunication (and after a lifetime in sales /customer care/ customer facing ) I’ve seen plenty of those.

My advice is “breathe deeply” smile and see if there are alternatives , I’ve been a Naim customer for thirty years and have been up the Naim ladder and down it , but always been happy or returned to them

But this does seem to be ND5XS2 specific , so just see

From what I have heard the problem is lack of component(s) for the analogue board of the ND5XS2, what is bothering me is IF they ever become available again in what quantity?

We all know of Naim’ s fantastic efforts to repair all their older kit but if you can’t get theses parts where does that leave those lucky enough to have actually got one of these streamers?
Will Naim find substitute components? if that is viable then why don’t they do it now to produce new units?

Just wondering after 6 months of waiting if it is such a good idea to go ahead with order.

It’s a widely used component - issue is huge global demand, not the chipset itself. We have more supplies on way and more to follow.

3 Likes

I had a computer failure last week, and just thought I would buy another one. Went to the usual sources and all if found was 8 Gigs Ram and 256 Gig SSD. For my application, I need 32 Gigs Ram and 1 TB SSD. After about 20 tries in the usual places, I found one. That used to be one step up from an entry level computer pre covid. That shows you just how bad things are. I feel fortunate to have got a replacement–and in about 5 days.

What I have been told by those in the business, many companies used up their inventory, rather than order replacement parts. Then when the demand kicked in again, the supplies were already depleted. In addition a couple of fires and an earthquake did heavy damage to the chip supply chain.

1 Like

Hi, my ND5 XS2 was ordered 5th Feb 21 and still no delivery date in sight!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that - what’s your dealer saying?

Welcome to the club, mines been on order since 19th January and my dealer still has orders for it from last year so I’m not even at the top of his list.
Dealer say’s it’s on his list of outstanding items he get’s from Naim but has no idea when he will receive it

These wait times are long. But the real issue is you guys not knowing when you will see your items.
Naim will tell you to pester your dealer, but you will have done that already. And, it’s all you have got. The dealer needs to get a straight answer out of naim, even if it is one you don’t like.
I ordered and paid for my ndx2 last June as was told at the time it was 2 months. By mid August I was loosing patience. They were not getting a delivery date from naim. By late September when it finally turned up, the relationship between me and my dealer was strained.

1 Like

I struggle to understand why dealers can’t get a straight answer from Naim. Surely, with reference to @Naim.Marketing’s advice here, dealers should be able get the approximate waiting time for outstanding products.

Obviously, things can get delayed when the delivery of whatever part doesn’t arrive — that’s life in Covid and post-Brexit times… But I have no sympathy for dealers just taking cash (£5K in the case of @Thegreatroberto’s NDX2!!) and then not following up with Naim on a regular basis.

Sometimes I really wonder whether naming and shaming was in order — so that Naim has a chance to get their dealer network in order, and it allows people here more informed choices when purchasing their next Naim . There are so many great dealers around that deserve the business of “failing” dealers.

I’m fairly sure my dealer pestered naim. I think it was naim not being honest. Or at least that was how it was presented to me. And I can’t see why a dealer I have a 25 year relationship with would lie. They were equally frustrated.
And yes, having paid £5k I had to wait twice as long as I expected.

2 Likes

I had a 250 on order from late February and up until mid June and my dealer was unable to get any conformation from Naim as to when it would be provided. I ended up getting it from the new Naim dealer at the start of this month (there has been a change in distributer here in NZ). Then after making those arrangements another 250 was delivered to the first dealer without advance warning and he’s going to have to find another buyer. Pretty slack really, and somehow this mess just becomes the customers problem.

Basically, the situation seems to be Naim says talk to your dealer, the dealers can’t get a straight answer from Naim and the customer gets very poor service. Delays from supply chains may be understood, but poor communication is just poor service from Naim.

These delays are a real, but unavoidable issue affecting all electronics manufacturers who rely on certain components in short supply. However that doesn’t make customers who are starved of delivery updates feel any better.

If a customer has ordered Naim kit and loses patience, and I can understand why, then he or she should be prepared for another kind of disappointment if he or she changes brand to a more available one. The fact is the best kit is in short supply and there is a reason why other brands might be ‘available’.

Just sayin’.