A New App

Sorry to hear that, but I think it’s far from relevant here.

Naim and Focal have been together for 11 years. It probably makes a lot of sense to have one app to control products from both brands. Looking around the marketplace, it probably doesn’t take much to guess what’s likely coming from Focal, probably with a little help from Naim along the way…

Don’t be sorry Richard, it was 17 years ago & I’ve been retired for the past 7 of them.

This seemed to me a classic case of the new management feeling they needed to prove that their d***s were bigger than ours. It just seemed an incredibly stupid thing to do under any circumstances to prove a point. We had their money in our bank account, accepted it was their company & totally failed to understand the business logic.

I agree with you. I can’t see any business logic at what I am suggesting as a remote possibility & really wish I hadn’t bought it up in the first place. Feel free to delete these posts if you wish.

It’s not too difficult for an app to recognise if there are Naim or (future) Focal - or both - products connected and adjust accordingly. I hope there will be an option to exclude unwanted products/features etc. But that might negate a marketing purpose.

4 Likes

Agree, apps need to be fairly simple yet intuitive, but the more products supported could mean redundant menu items/sections which could make things more complex.

2 Likes

This is actually something of genuine but more general concern.

I have a Pioneer AV amp and although the iOS app still works I have to wonder for how long as the product is >6 years old. I’m keeping a few older phones simply to be able to control the darned thing if a new iOS version renders the app incompatible.

I’m hesitant in saying so, but I firmly believe that Naim will continue to support old app controlled devices for as long as possible, but we still face the prospect of new firmware potentially being incompatible with older controller apps at some stage - this may be needed to take product lines forwards or add new features, but some may find they are better of keeping streamers/whatever on older firmware in order that their old phones/apps still work. This is especially true when many current devices rely on app features to enable functionality not available directly on the product itself.

I hope you can customise the new app to omit the word Focal

5 Likes

I don’t see “VW, Audi, Skoda, Porsche” in my VW app although under the same flag. Or Harman branding one app with “JBL, Mark levinsson, Infinity etc” Who approves this crappy co-branding at Focal/Naim? Not ok. It’s marketing of a brand I don’t like within an app of a brand I like. This decision is company driven, not consumer driven. And those company driven companies eventually implode. It’s so sad to see Naim being eaten by lousy management.

7 Likes

If the new app can keep the room and not drop it, sign me up.

1 Like

I hope so as well. I buy and like Naim, I do not want Focal……

7 Likes

Interesting thought Richard!

Apologies if anyone has said so already but if Focal/Naim both are to soon have ‘connected’ products which need an app for optimal functionality, then whether or not they initially share common platforms it will surely actually be better to have a single customer facing software product with a single development team.

Little point Naim/Focal duplicating software efforts when the resources can be invested and shared in a single team/software platform - I just hope that Naim’s software development team are the basis for this and will not be swept aside by something new from Focal.

Embrace change guys. Or listen to a pair of Focal Headphones - there is really synergy between Naim and Focal.

Now of reading

(when you look carefully, you can identify upset Naim fans in the sportshirts)

6 Likes

Richard, you said the same thing in a different thread, but I think that this hides the apparent reality that the Senior Sister is most definitely Focal.

What an entertaining thread! Don’t know if I should laugh or cry :joy:

2 Likes

As the Naim app controls their streaming hardware and there are “some exciting new products from Focal” it seems fairly obvious that we are looking at Naim powered all in one Focal active speakers using the Naim streaming platform.

3 Likes

It would still be a Focal speaker in need of a Focal app. My VW doesn’t have “VW and Bosch” because it has electric motors from Bosch that I also can control. Either accept they are two brands with different end users or come up with a new brand to replace them both becoming a “PS Audio” brand doing everything from speakers to amps. Doing it like now is just messy.

1 Like

I might be second guessing things here, but it’s to be hoped that future streamer firmware updates will make it clear beforehand, which older versions of iOS will remain compatible, otherwise disaster looms.

2 Likes

I have zero interest in Focal and would prefer their logo to be discreet (or better absent) on the new firmware. I will therefore wait and see how it works and looks.

4 Likes

This might be a good thing, as more adoption might mean more development budget. There’s definitely room for improvement, not least the Android app still doesn’t have feature parity with the iOS one.

Or perhaps it just needs someone at Focal that cares about the Android users :wink: Or is that to cynical of me?

1 Like

True, changing a brand (or replacing the customers) is hard and messy. Unless they swap. Focal electronics and Naim speakers. :slight_smile:

All-in-one speakers are such a compromise. You would at least go to switching power supplies. To avoid problems with vibrating analog components my guess is you need to go with a digital signal path as far as possible.

But I think more of a coop/competition with Focal would a good thing for Naim as long as internal invoicing & politics can be kept to a minimum. The Focal design-language excepted.

1 Like

It will be “Focal Powered by Naim” speakers using the Focal Naim app. The app has “Focal & Naim” as the logo.

The FPBN have had a big uptick in stores and has had a very active social media campaign.

I think it’s self evident where this is heading.

1 Like