A New App

Naim produced the excellent Atom HE recently, it benefits Focal/Naim to develop an active speaker solution. In this situation there is synergy between Naim and Focal and a combined app would make sense.

6 Likes

Bit of a surprise and it’s never been (to my knowledge anyway) tested by the Beta group.

I guess we’ve always got the option of not upgrading, keeping the app you already have. I mainly use my iPad to operate my stuff, I’ll update it on my iPhone first if I don’t like it I’ll stay as is. However I’m going to give it a chance.

The world keeps moving and things change.

2 Likes

You mean like a Muso 2 … :thinking: :innocent:

In preparation for Naim’s big anniversary in 2023, perhaps…

New App + NAC372 Streaming Pre + Focal & Naim Active speakers = Happy Birthday Naim!

5 Likes

Not to be inflammatory but if its a decent app then the angst can be set aside. I only use the naim app to change settings on my NDX2 or my Nova. Otherwise I use Roon. The lifetime purchase of Roon has been worth it given the adequate only nature of the naim app. Perhaps this too will be poor but it might be a step in a better direction.

If it were my company I would either invest to make it decent or reduce it entirely to a setup app.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of a range of floor standers, most likely.

1 Like

As long as it will control the “green screen” streamers I’m happy.

1 Like

In my opinion, the current Naim app is woefully substandard, poorly designed, and definitely long overdue for improvement. I know nothing about Focal but my hope is they, in collaboration with Naim software engineers, can overhaul the current app to bring it into the 21st century. Looking forward to October 4th.

3 Likes

App for setup only is the way some other manufacturers are going. The Sonus Faber Omnia for instance supports services via Airplay, Spotify/Tidal connect but if you want to access a uPNP server you need a third party app such as Bubble.

Can’t see naim (hopefully) heading this way as the app is the only way to access Tidal on Gen 1 streamers.

Sorry Mike, it was a bit tongue in cheek, what passes for humor here.

1 Like

Not sure sticking with the ‘old’ app will be that simple…

The email I received says:

“If you have enabled automatic updates on your device then there is nothing further for you to do, the app update will happen automatically.”

What is substandard? Works fine for me and does everything I need. What’s it missing?

7 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

Maybe the Muso’s will get a nice new Focal logo?

1 Like

Easy enough to disable automatic downloads and updates on all devices, though.

If you compare the UX to the Spotify or Tidal apps then it’s too basic. The search is not fuzzy enough so it doesn’t find what you want when you miss type like those apps do. There’s lots to the Roon for me that I really like. Then you layer on the need to kill the app and restart it regularly which is what I used to have when I used it on my old Uniti 2 and I became a committed non-admirer :slight_smile:

True, but it’s explicitly not a new/separate app as some posts seem to assume.

Yeah; I definitely agree with this thinking.
Otherwise you end up with a ridiculous multi personality company like I used to work for:
Currys PC World Carphone Warehouse Techguys, all owned by the Dixons Carphone Group and trading under one roof🤦🏻‍♂️

1 Like

A range of reasonably priced AV amps from Focal that had the Naim streaming board and spoke to other Naim streamers would be welcome imo.

Also does that mean we’ll end up with Focal/Naim forum?

As others have said, it seems that Focal will soon release active bookshelf or floor standing speakers — likely with all the steaming capabilities and ampslificarion from naim.

I think this would be interesting as I have been very interested in what companies like Dutch & Dutch have done with their 8c. It may not be for everyone, but it is great to have the option. I hope Focal + Naim can release a solution that sounds better than the 8c and is at least as flexible so similar money.

I am intrigued.

As for the co-branded app, i see no problems with that at all so long as the delineation of what Focal is vs naim is clear in all their communication, market positioning, and products. Customers of either brand can only benefit from the cross marketing and it will strengthen the user base and eventually R&D budgets of both brands.

1 Like