A New App

Hi @sonwleo, more of our data? Can you expand as I always try and eliminate my data being taken.

@Richard.Dane just reported the first gremlin as requested. I think it was a pity that the app didn’t pass by the beta group; but heyho maybe the beta group is no longer required!
In the meantime I shall hold off updating two other iOS control points.

2 Likes

Far from it - the Beta group is very important. I guess the team felt that as the actual underlying app was not changed then a beta trial was not necessary until more underlying changes are made?

I agree it looks smart, but having multiple it can actually create an inconvenience (at least on mobile) see my post in the other thread.

And having named them after the rooms they’re in, I can actually remember which I have in which room so it’s not that useful. It’s more for aesthetics that this was implemented I imagine.

1 Like

Richard, good to hear. I know the team work hard and have said so directy on more than one occasion, but I have noticed two issues already, the second of which I think, is a change to Tidal display.

If I am not mistaken, it may cause some angst until it is understood that each Naim user needs to select in Tidal / settings, their display preference again. I noticed, so with more than one control point, had a point of reference for the different display.

I had to accept a new policy on the new app.

1 Like

Nice. Only available for my Android Phone at present- Not available in my iOS app store as yet. Quicker and far more responsive than the previous Android version that was pretty poor imho compared to the iOS app. Hopefully that will be there tomorrow when I wake up. My Android account is Japan geolocated, my iOS USA.

Do you like the new ‘Room’ graphic with all devices shown as such in Colour.

I got the Naim Universe by default.

BTW, is there any evidence that there are other actually other universes? Or is it just speculation from sci-fi authors and theoretical physicists?

1 Like

Do they add significantly to app size (embedded video) or are the videos played from the internet?

The video on my iPhone XR 15.7 played once, I pressed “skip” and haven’t seen it (the video) again.

1 Like

It looked as though the videos were embedded within the app.

1 Like

I suspect they might be embedded in the app as it looks to be 100MB larger than the older one assuming that size if I update.

While it’s not massive compared to some it’s 3x the size, and my iPhone X often runs low - mostly photos and 100GB or more of music in Qobuz app.

I manually update apps these days rather than enabling automatic downloads and am often surprised how large some apps have become - they probably have a lot more functionality than I use but it does all add up.

If videos are embedded I think that will look slicker to a new customer compared to an additional option to download.

1 Like

They’re played once after the initial update.

1 Like

Funnily enough I downloaded a ‘last compatible version’ onto an old iPhone yesterday and that showed pictures of Musos etc - I then realised I was stuck as it (the app version) pre-dated the Nova :rofl:

I have a gen 1 Muso I will give it a go later :grinning:

That is a shame… if anything I believe developers should be encouraging smaller apps so they take less space in execution memory and storage … if they need assets really they should download from CDNs and have the option, albeit perhaps with a more limited visual experience of running without them.

I have nothing against a common app and indeed if one is promoting a harmonised portfolio of products designed to work together it makes sense, but I had fingers crossed it was not at the expense of size (or dare I say bloatware) … and unfortunately you have confirmed that is indeed the case…. Hopefully that is it and it doesn’t grow any more with additional products being included… as that would be a bad idea… perhaps one could /or the app could download the appropriate libraries / assets as needed.

4 Likes

If we don’t have any Focal products is there any reason to dl the new app? Is performance better? Any new features? Otherwise I’m sticking with the old app until it can’t be used anymore.

1 Like

I can’t see any particular reason to update yet if you don’t want to - maybe with new firmware features it may be needed in due course, but Naim need to incorporate the Focal product(s) now I guess as there will be users of them imminently.

1 Like

I haven’t actually installed it yet so am only going by app size on the iOS AppStore. It might be a general figure or affected by app thinning, I can’t say I’ve really checked too much, I was just low on space so decided to do so.

I have to agree about apps becoming too bloated. I have several apps which used to be well under a 100MB but every time I update they get bigger and bigger, some around 350MB now with no real new functionality for me personally but I probably have older products. The iPhone X is several years old but has 256GB of storage, though increasingly I find I’m deleting infrequently used apps to make space - not such a bad thing perhaps.

1 Like

I just checked on Android. App size seems to have gone 96.61 → 152 MB, so not as dramatic although still > 50%