A visit to Naim HQ and the new Showroom

That’s our esteemed moderator trying to look well ‘ard. Assuming you don’t mean the guy in the lab coat, who just looks like he’d rather be anywhere else than there.

It was Brush With The Blues from Jeff Beck Who Else!

1 Like

Interesting. I listened to that track on the recording of Live from Ronnie Scott’s and it sounded more different than I expected, even bearing in mind my non-Statement System. I see that the JB Who Else! album was recorded live in Japan…

Best

David

I have the Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott’s bluray,stunning to say the least.Guest appearances from Eric Clapton and Joss Stone are incredible.Tal Wikenfel almost steals the show on bass guitar. At my old house, in 7.2 surround, this disc was my favorite.

They were trained by Russians last year.

1 Like

Please invite me on the tour when Naim produce one. :grin:

2 Likes

I recognise Richard and Steve (and Jason in one of the other pics) but who are the other Naim folks in the picture ?

The chap to Richard’s left has come to lay a carpet and the guy to the left of him is preparing to tell the visitors to someone is gravely ill. As there are seven Naim people maybe they are getting ready for the seven a side football in the car park.

1 Like

Standing from left to right (not including me, or Mark on the far left who’s not quite in frame); Gary Crocker, Roland Brewer, Steve Sells, Tom Johnson, and Paul Neville.

3 Likes

Cheers Richard.

And most, if not all of these gentlemen are from R & D but Charlie ordered them NOT to talk to us about the future. Bit tricky if your job is R & D, but I understand the need for discretion. That didn’t stop us chucking out one or two questions about future products followed by a steely look, eye to eye, but they all has their poker faces on. They were however as open as they could be and it was a very informative chat. A very knowledgeable and friendly group, I must say.

4 Likes

And those of us not on the factory tour also got a chance to chat to Will (of beta group firmware fame) and Paul (newly involved in beta group apps) so that was good too.

Best
David

2 Likes

Well i look forward to the 40th anniversary edition Nait 1, due in 2023. I’m sure it must be sitting in prototype form in the R&D dept alongside the 372 which should be here any day soon …

1 Like

I must admit, Steve Sells looked genuinely confused when we mentioned the mythical 372. When quizzed, we had to explain to Steve what a 372 was!

Either Steve knows nothing or he is a flippin’ good actor. I think the former, unfortunately.

1 Like

The more you know the more effort you must make to give the impression you don’t know. I explained to him exactly what it was when I met him last year and I’m sure his memory isn’t that bad.

Don’t forget that “372” is an invention of the forum members. If they were working on what we call a 372, they probably would have a code name at this stage unless marketing had already decided how to position it.
Best
David

Umm…not sure. Charlie seemed most concerned that Steve might spill beans, as he asked that we don’t press Steve, the most likely to crack, as he is such a nice bloke.

I hope I am wrong and we see a 372.

If you are right about Steve, I am thinking of taking up am-dram, so I will ask Steve which acting school he recommends. :wink:

Richard - this is only banter, so please don’t moderate me!

I talked to Steve about the 372 idea when we went there last year, on the occasion that HH mentions. Steve was totally in control and adopted a sort of puzzled-interest, asking things like, “how would that work?” I think there is never a risk of him saying anything that he doesn’t deliberately mean to!

I don’t think Charlie was worried at all.

Quite amusing though was when someone (I forget who) asked about plans for Naim Records and Charlie who was in the process of leaving the room, without pausing kind of glided back in again, to answer the questions himself.

Best

David

1 Like

Anyway, one can’t blame Charlie for keeping a very tight lid on things. Only yesterday Beta members who should know better were talking openly about developments on the main forum, so one can be pretty sure that if members were told things ‘in confidence’ on a visit that very soon someone would be singing like a canary.

2 Likes

Hi HH, I don’t recall any canary singing following April 17.