Achievement Unlocked: Holographic Soundstage

My dream since childhood (42) has been to have a speaker system capable of creating the illusion of sound originating from behind my listening position. This dream has been realized and all it took was nearly everything.

I’d like to thank my daughter for generously allowing me to use her college fund, the folks at Naim, all you wonderful forum members, and my mother without whom I’d certainly have a different name and might not even exist.

Now go out there and turn your dreams into reality!

2 Likes

I am your father…

2 Likes

Care to expand on this??

“Worth to remember it is that inky blackness a temptation towards the dark side”

5 Likes

Sure… my daughter used to have an account with money to eventually pay for her college. Now she gets to watch me listen to my favorite music instead. After explaining to her how she “can’t stop me”, she very reluctantly agreed that she lacked legal recourse.

1 Like

Are you achieving this with the Rossini, or the Atom HE?

You bought a 5.1 system?

1 Like

I’m still unsure if you have a holographic soundstage or not. I must be missing the joke.

Rossini… and the clock is still sitting unopened in its box. Absolutely stunning compared to Bartok.

That was a quick upgrade…you do still have an Atom versus Bartok thread running.

3 Likes

Yes it sounds completely immersive. This has been the thing I’d always wanted from hifi. The college fund thing was a joke.

1 Like

You got it bad man.

I will never reach the level you have already, but in my 20 years of owning hifi what I have learnt is that no matter the quality of your system (not that mine is anything special), your enjoyment level will be the same soon after the purchase. You have to learn to appreciate what you have and live with it for a while. Satisfaction is tied to being content with what you have not the next upgrade.

14 Likes

Well I’m done now so on to the next adventure I guess.

My first experience of holographic sound was Pink Floyd’s experimental work on The Final Cut, but that was sound effects. The best I know is Roger Waters’ Amused to death, which made me almost jump out of my seat the first time I played it, when Bill Hubbard (the character recounting his WW1 experience) started talking, sounding as if he was sitting right beside me on the sofa. I actually jerked my head to the left, expecting to see someone there! Uncanny!

5 Likes

I remember to saying this before and I tested and get the same thing. Quite amazing.

Ordered it back in July before the price increase. Traded in the Bartok unfortunately. Can’t even begin to justify owning both even considering it’s a better investment than Alibaba.

1 Like

Brilliant opening track turn volume up right at beginning listen for dog barking in back yard a long way off to your right. I use Roger Waters Amused to death album for speaker placement. Being recorded in Qsound really opens up the sound stage.
Another track I use for bass extension is 3 wishes the genie is awesome :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

His messe solenelle is a good piece of music.

Turn your nightmares into reality? :laughing:

Indeed, it’s better spend on hifi :slight_smile: