Acoustic panels

Good Evening,

I have two GIK242’s on my ceiling.

Regards

Richard

1 Like

Hi what do you think sound wise and I would prefare to hang flush to ceiling if possible. But looking at yours they seem OK on the gik bracket.

I have detailed my experience with GIK acoustic panels elsewhere. I contacted GIK and just took their advice at face value i.e. installed the panels as prescribed and haven’t experimented as some on here clearly have.

They advised getting their Room Kit #3 + an extra 242. I fitted the two roof panels equidistantly i.e. the room is 4.7mtrs long so they were fitted on 1.567mtr centres which neatly fitted in around the centre light fitting. I’m assuming there is a good reason for the roof panels being distanced slightly from the ceiling using the GIK supplied brackets?

The centre point of other two 242’s are fitted at the first reflection point along the side walls i.e. 1.79mtrs.

The bass trap is, currently, just stood against the rear wall waiting on the new curtains being hung.

The other piece of advice I took was to move my listening location to 38% of the room length from the front wall i.e. a near field position as this is the best ‘null’ point. Yes it seems odd at first but it is a dedicated listening room and the chair is the only piece of furniture in there.

I also have to add that I already had Linn’s Sound Optimisation (V2) in operation when these panels were fitted.

The impact of the panels collectively was transformational especially in respect to the bass. The implementation of SO had already made some inroads in to eliminating the peak at 36.6Hz but the panels suppressed this still further allowing what was previously being masked/ suppressed to appear.

The lower bass region became much clearer and the whole sound stage much more detailed and ‘open’. I hadn’t realised how much the room was impacting on what I was trying to listen to.

I am very much a convert for both SO and acoustic panels and just shake my head at those ‘luddites’ that still try to match a speaker to the room to try and accommodate the deficiencies of said room.

Regards

Richard

5 Likes

linesrg, I have just moved my gear into a new, smaller room, with nothing in it and the echoes are pronounced. I’ve learnt a lot about acoustic panels these last couple of days, having never considered or heard about them before, and am considering options. I was intrigued by your advice about listening position - do you mean 38% from front, not rear, wall? i.e. if the room is 5m long, you should sit 1.9m from the front wall with the speakers? Or have I got this wrong.

aurinia,

Yes I would be sitting at 1.9mtr from the front wall with the speakers - in my case 1.79mtrs as the room is actually 4.7mtrs long.

Regards

Richard

Hi if your room is let’s say 240 inches you sit from front wall 91 inches with your speakers in front, or you can sit 90 inches from back wall i sit 90 from front wall and my room is 240 long and my speakers are 30 inches from front driver to wall.

I’ve dabbled a bit with some GIK panels and they have certainly helped improve the music repro in my listening room. I would urge a little caution with absorption as IME there are downsides (a loss of air and dynamics) as well as upsides (more even frequency response and a nice sense of calm and order). Be careful not to add too much absorption. For dispersion I find the amount used to be less critical and generally additive ( soundstaging and reproduction of recorded acoustic). Dispersion panels on the ceiling at first reflection points were especially effective in my room.
Kevin

1 Like

Are dispersion panels the same as diffusion panels?

Sorry, yes, diffusion is the proper GIK terminology.

It really depends on room size for difuser they work best behind the Listening seat in my case I have nearly 13 f behind so the gik monster bass trap with flex work better, I did try difuser but didn’t hear much if the room was smaller yes they are better.

Sorry, off topic, but what is your recliner and ottoman combination - they look very nice.

As for room treatment - I am definite convert, though have not placed anything on the ceiling, yet…

Thanks! :smiley:

It’s a StressLess Aura Signature.

Linesrg, so you sit 1.79m from your front wall? In this case, how are your first reflection points also at 1.79m? Trying to find my way into this particular maze!

My first reflection are 50 inches to center of panel from front wall I sit 91 to ears.

Are you using skyline diffusers on your sidewalls ? How do you find them ? Did you try anything else there first ?

Thanks
Alan

Following the discussion, has anyone tried the STILLPOINTS APERTURE II ACOUSTIC PANEL?

I believe Michael Fremer of Sterophile likes it and it is quite expensive but I expect you already know this.

1 Like

Hi Alan,

No, these are not skyline diffusers.
Here is an older post with my room treatment details.
–> System Pics 2020

Regardless of the sound in your room, which I’m sure is wonderful, it is simply beautiful.

1 Like

Yes, I started with one Stillpoints Aperture panel, and now have a total of four in my mid-sized listening room. Fremer’s description of the effects is spot-on, in my opinion. They suck up room noise but don’t alter frequency response, as far as I can tell. A whole new level of realism and focus for my SL2s with a minimum of fuss.

1 Like