Advice On Choosing An Android Smartphone

Indeed. Being still wedded to CD we don’t stream. I have my music on my phone as FLAC via an SD card for when we are away from home. Don’t know what I will do when it’s time to replace my phone…
Embrace streaming, sell CD555 and source s/h ND555? :flushed:

1 Like

Cameras are great on Pixels (thanks in large part to Google’s computational photography).

Plus the Pixel 7 (in some territories at least) is currently cheaper than the (inferior) 7a.

1 Like

I’ve had the Samsung S22 Ultra for about 18 months now, never had an issue with it.

1 Like

I have a Google account to use with mine but that’s really all I use it for, my Gmail isn’t my primary email account. I also use it with Google pay so that I’m not limited to £100 for contactless payments and to tap in on London Underground. As for apps the only one I’ve ever paid for is Bubble UPnP.

Edit: I tell a lie, I also spent £6 on Acrobits Softphone. We migrated our landline number to a VoIP solution when we had fibre to the premises installed and that app lets us receive calls to the landline number on our mobiles without expensive call forwarding.

1 Like

Or if not cloud services then just plain old mp3. I’ve done that on my Android tablet, 15000 mp3 at 192kbps take up less than 100gb so will easily fit on a 256gb device. Let’s face it, Bluetooth doesn’t cut it for high res audio and the audio out on almost all phones isn’t audiophile quality so for me mp3 is fine for out and about

1 Like

What do you do with the flacs when you’re away from home?

Roger - no issues so I can’t give feedback on their support.

1 Like

Don’t forget you can now get Samsung phones with 1TB of storage. OK, they will cost you but that’s a lot of storage.

1 Like

Depends where I am. Play through earphones, stream to family Musos, occ bluetooth speakers(yea, I know…)

And with any of those use cases will you even notice the difference between flac and mp3 at a high bit rate? I have a pair of Bose wireless on ear headphones and I can’t tell the difference between mp3 on my tablet and streaming flac from Qobuz, the playback devices are the limiters for SQ as far as I can tell, not the source.

1 Like

No it’s great. You have to have a google account but that’s fine, All my emails contacts etc were ported over from my previous One Plus phone automatically.
I’ve never liked Apple phones especially when it comes to music their services are more restricted and can cost.

1 Like

The other option could be a USB-C OTG adapter that will let you connect a USB drive to the phone. These adapters cost a few pounds on Amazon.

Indeed - I agree MP3s likely to be just as good in practice…

I always used to get the highest amount of storage for a given phone model, but lately I’ve been thinking of not doing so next time. Having said that many apps seem to be so bloated that they are huge by comparison to a couple of years ago.

I always used to do manual backups of the iPhone not being convinced by the cloud stuff, but that just resulted in loads of backups/copies and faff.

When Mrs AC’s previous iPhone started playing up I couldn’t back it up with a cable as it kept failing part way through. Took a while but I backed it up to iCloud and her new one just gradually downloaded the cloud backup once selected - it was very easy and surprised me how it restored the backup in the background allowing her to use the new phone straight away while it did it (100GB or so).

Presumably Android phones have something similar or a feature to upload photos to the cloud if data is running low?

With many Androids now coming with 256gb or more of storage, you’ll need a LOT of photos to get close to filling that up. Assuming an average of 5MB per photo then 40000 photos would use 200GB of storage. If you took 10 photos a day every day it would take you nearly 11 years to take that many.

If you’re happy with the Apple eco system, why the sudden desire to change ? for the record I have an iPhone, but have no bones with either system, I’m just curious.

Yes, photos alone are not the main problem`, but I have taken loads of video footage in the past during events or family holidays, and those are much bigger files. I can’t be bothered editing video to remove rubbish but equally I hate deleting stuff (I’m a digital hoarder as well)

I probably have 100GB of downloads from Qobuz on the iPhone X currently, it has 256 GB of storage - I could free up loads of space if I gave Qobuz a haircut but their app makes it quite tedious to delete stuff. Nice to have a lot of music for the car/on the go without needing data usage though but most of it I haven’t listened to in a while.

Maybe an itch to scratch to see how I like the Android phones but primarily cost at the moment.

There are quite a few things I’ve disliked about iPhones/iPads over the years as I prefer more manual control of the files compared to auto/custom syncing, as well as reliance on cloud services when there’s poor internet. Apple changes things far too often, but I dislike change, that’s just me. Many 'new features’ in iOS are of little interest to me personally apart from maybe some of the newer photo/video features my phone can’t handle. The main innovations seem to be with the cameras/better displays which are cross-platform improvements.

I’m not in an immediate rush to get anything but the info in the thread is handy should I go the Android route - being able to add storage via an SD card was something I would have liked but from the sounds of it that option may be less common now.

Most phones I see these days are far too big for my needs, I considered the iPhone X to be big at the time of release, but it’s just about right size wise for me.

1 Like

I do know where you’re coming from regarding change for changes sake, however the change to USB - C from the Lightning connector on the iphone 15 was long overdue and opens up endless possibilities for extra storage regarding video with the introduction of Apple Log etc.

Music storage on your phone wether Apple or Android, we all seem to suffer from the same symptoms, we store too much, and listen to about 10%, in my case it was time for a purge and I went one stage further and subscribed to Apple Music, everything I listen too is available and more importantly wasn’t taking up valuable storage space, again I understand not everyone wants to go down this route.

If you do change over to Android, looking forward to your findings regarding ease of use, compared to your iPhone.

1 Like

you could always just replace the battery in your existing, easily done

1 Like