Advice please, How will an induction hob affect the sound

We are just considering getting a induction hob in the kitchen. Does anyone have any experience of how it will affect the sound from my Uniti Star. The Power to the hob will be on a separate spur. Plus of course we will only be cookingfor short periods.

We’ve had an induction hob for years, and I’ve never noticed any problems with it. To be honest, if I’m cooking, I usually open the door and crank up the volume a bit, so I could have missed any subtle changes, but I suspect not.

As you will only be cooking for short periods I wouldn’t worry about it!

As for induction cooking, we’ve been using one for about 13 years, and have never regretted the decision - it is a really good way of cooking. Better than gas (more efficient, quicker, no emissions In the kitchen, and of course no risk of leaks, and far better than other forms of electric, even halogen. Nowadays suitable cookware is commonplace (when we first had ours we had to hunt around for suitable pans). We had one fault with our hob, almost a year in, which was fixed quickly under guarantee, and no issues since. We moved it with us when we moved house.

As for the question, when you are cooking, unless the hifi is very close to the hob the direct induction is unlikely to influence, while the electrical demand and any transmitted RF on the mains shouldn’t be any more of an issue than any other heavy demand and/or RF sources like computers and SMPSs. I certainly haven’t noticed anything, though mine is not a Naim system.

It will make any jazz you are listening to seem HOT rather than cooool. :grinning:

2 Likes

My induction hob has no noticeable effect on any of the sound or vision stuff we have anywhere in the house & more specifically the equipment we have in the kitchen, FM radio, web radio, smart phone streaming.
They work at a frequency that is only just above human hearing range which is a long way from the radio spectrum.
TBH if they did hint at interference I would expect them to be very tightly regulated.

What cable are you using for the hob ?

4 Likes

It’s the first of May, not April.

.sjb

3 Likes

My step mother has a pacemaker and was told not to use induction hobs … but it did not interfere with her hearing aid (then again it’s not a bone induction model).

A copy paste from t’internet
Anything that produces a strong electromagnetic field can interfere with a pacemaker.
Induction hobs generate electromagnetic fields, so keep a distance of at least 60cm (2ft) between the stove top and your pacemaker. Most people should be able to use a hob if they follow these precautions …
Other appliances that contain a magnet include handheld hairdryers, older shavers with an electrical cord, large stereo speakers, electric toothbrushes and base chargers of ultrasonic toothbrushes

So hifi speakers are a health hazard !!!

1 Like

Thanks for all your comments

Oh No! :astonished::astonished:

We’ve had an induction hob for a number of years. The only issue I experienced with the UnitiQute and now the Nova was that I could hear a sizzling noise but only when cooking bacon.

3 Likes

Induction hobs won’t be creating RF on the mains unless poorly filtered harmonics. The fundamental induction frequencies are too low at around 20kHz to 100 kHz, so you may if unlucky get some ultrasonic electromagnetic interference … but I doubt it would come to much.
Just keep your loudspeakers well away from your hob!!! Or any magnetic tape or disk drives, but they are hardly things you are going to have near your cooker…

1 Like

My system improved significantly after we replaced a gas hob with an induction hob.

1 Like

My induction hob has a decicated mains circuit with 10mm cable. Sounds great.

I was scratching my head over the cause and effect of that comment. Are we going to have a thread of which gas supplier has the best SQ… sorry I just can’t see how a gas hob and system SQ are at all related, it’s a bit like say what BBQ charcoals you use affect your system SQ… unless of course your tongue is firmly placed in your cheek…

1 Like

Do you leave it powered up all the time (thunderstorms excepted, of course)?

1 Like

I was wondering whether an induction hob put harmonics etc onto the mains. From my HNC electronics days a long time ago I seem to remember that inductive loads can cause problems with other equipment. So that is why I posed the question

The inductive load is isolated from mains power, most have inputs into a transformer, that is rectified & then to a controlled frequency AC generator - plus a lot more. The heating plate end also have numbers of capacitors & other devices to control resonance & power factor

The power supplies in an induction hob will be SMPSs, and I think there’ll be 5 in a 4-ring hob, one for each ring, rated up to 4KW depending on the cooker, plus one for the control circuitry.