Album Chart Dec 1976

Yep, i have to fess up on buying one but it was in 72 not 76 :flushed: I seem to remember they were 99p or £1.99.
This was it :flushed:

1 Like

Here is the Record Mirror chart from the same week. Interesting to compare the UK with the US and Eddie & The Hot Rods making an appearance in the UK albums chart just above Peters & Lee!

2 Likes

4 from 1976 here. All bought around 2013!

I would have thought everyone had a Frampton album.

Six for me. Still have all of them bar one which remains unavailabe on streaming networks. My six don’t include anything hip which an audiophile might claim they had all along.

A couple of things to note. 1976 was allegedly year zero for punk and yet…

The compilation culture is relatively simple to explain. The 1970s was a long way from being an era of classic rock or vinyl. Rock was at its peak for teenagers and people in their 20s but largely didn’t trouble the charts other than some well known exceptions. You could find it in every sixth form but it was to some extent still alternative.

Vinyl was in the downward spiral which made CD inevitable. The 1973 oil crisis put significant amounts of recycled vinyl into the market which meant little was decent quality; artists (which we often forget) despised vinyl and longed for something which better reflected how they sounded live (subscribe to Rocks Back Pages and read the interviews. The moaning was consistent and relentless and included many who now eulogise it now. Hello, Neil Young. Is that you?). The cost of production flew up and thus compilations of things record companies knew they could sell were far more profitable than much else.

1 Like

Sloop, surely you have Songs in The Key of Life?

I have seven on the list and at school had a cassette tape of Derek and Clive Live.

I used to love this.

Surprised Boston was 1976, I associate it more with a time around 78 along with Gerry Rafferty Baker St. Also surprised to see The Song Remains the Same in there, I dont recall Zep featuring at that time although I would have been a fan. You can understand how Punk & New Wave caught on as everything was pretty dull

1 Like

You are correct, I have it on an Audio Fidelity CD - must give it a spin.

.sjb

1 Like

I have a couple of them but most of my records from that era either scrapped into the bottom of the album charts or missed them.

Playing Steve Miller Fly Like An Eagle …No11 US top 50. Ive got lots of the albums in those charts…76 was a good year. I was earning good money , and could afford lots of albums.

5 Likes

A decade of two halves, perhaps. What is now classic rock (but just rock at the time!) was predominently in the early 70s.

1 Like

This was a Christmas chart - all those ‘various’ albums destined as unwanted presents.

2 Likes

Size of bass driver would make nomore difference than on music without the bass reduced to fit - the only compensation would be tone controls to boost the bass.

I have 3 of the top 30, Stevie Wonder, Queen and Showaddywaddy, I was sure that I had ELO but apparently not. All were picked up after 1976 as I had only a small amount of pocket money to spend in 76.

Brings back some memories though.

Also appears in Sir Terry’s “Soul Music” as the famous guitar-maker, Blert Wheedown, owner of a lute shop in Ankh-Morpork, author of a guitar primer, and employer of a promising apprentice named Gibbsson.

He also got fed up within the first hour of hearing people attempt the chord sequence from “Pathway to Paradise”.

Oh yeah, I got three from 1976 list, Queen, Led Zep, and Frampton.

2 Likes

Interesting. I have far more from the US chart.

1 Like

Looking at the two Record Mirror charts, I have one, album, Tubular Bells - but bought several years earlier when first released.

I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned “Frampton Comes Alive”, which was hugely popular. I was looking for my LPs a few months ago, which I had in my time at University, but I must have given them away.

So I bought a new (vinyl) copy, and it still strikes me as sensationally good guitar playing.

4 Likes