Album of the year - 2019

That is one of my favourite singles of all time. Though surpassed by their wonderful EP New Cross, New Cross so good they said it twice. It was easy, it was cheap go and do it.

Medium Was Tedium would be in my top 10 singles. My favourite 45 being Save My Soul by Wimple Winch.

OK, I was being a little harsh about the Desperates. The sentiment was perfect, but the music never really did anything for me.

And, as you well know, I will now have to go and hear the hitherto unknown to me Wimple Winch.

The last few months I’ve been catching up with stuff via Tidal; stuff I’ve bought has been diverse, but I cast my vote for this rendition of some the ‘lost words’ by Robert Macfarlane.

1 Like

Roon tells me I have 40 albums from 2019 in my collection.
This is my favourite

and this one brought a huge smile to my face and makes me face growing older with a bit more confidence.

. <for what it’s worth I don’t mind divergence from “group think” at all on thread>

sjb

1 Like

Yep, that’s a stunner. Quality. I’ve not bough a lot of new music this year, but that’s #1 for me.

1 Like

A couple of my favourites this year

Atb
Kk

6 Likes

No idea what the second one is but I really like the McMahon albums. Rough, quirky and unlike anything else so ticks a fair few of my boxes. Gut feeling is she will produce better.

1 Like

The other one is Fink’s “Bloom Innocent”, already a contender as my album of the year, (so far).

If you haven’t yet listened to Mr. Greenall, most of his stuff is on Tidal, so, have a bash, you’re in for a treat. :+1:

3 Likes

First and last track are perfect. I think this album is really a statement. Laid back and stripped back bare to reveal its self. Like it a lot

Atb
Kk

1 Like

@keanoking

I’ve been a fan of Mr. Greenall for years, and was dead chuffed to get tickets to see him and his superb band in Manchester a couple of years back.

In a recent interview, he paid tribute to Flood, the producer, who, he reckoned, “took the bare bones of the songs, and brought them to life”.

Possibly his best work so far, which is saying something, as what has gone before wasn’t too shabby. :+1:

1 Like

Never heard a Fink song in my life. Sounds like this latest album is as good a place as any to start.

1 Like

Well it might not be. I think I like it because I have enjoyed his other earlier material. It is very stripped back, his earlier stuff is more full and can I say more commercial?

Atb
Kk

2 Likes

I agree with @keanoking, and an easier introduction might be this one:

Fink - Biscuits For Breakfast … which contains the definitive version of Alison Moyet’s “All Cried Out”.

Still, if you’ve got Tidal, virtually all his stuff is there, so fill yer boots!

(Apologies for the thread drift).:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Another 2 nominations

Salt - Angie McMahon

And Lloyd Coles - Guesswork

2 Likes

Louis Sclavis – Characters on a Wall.

1 Like

csm_tool_cc139b05d2

12 Likes

This has to be one of my favourites out of this year’s new releases. Recorded on their final tour in 2015, it’s rather wonderful.

3 Likes

I’m going to put this one forward – Help Us Stranger by The Raconteurs:

5 Likes

I’ve just bought and listened to this too (albeit on CD). It’s great!

1 Like

This thread is bad for my wallet. I thought 2019 was a quiet year for great new stuff.

My favourite album is The Imperial by The Delines.

I also enjoyed Kevin Morby - Oh My God.

However checking some of your favourites I have just ordered The Rails, Better Oblivion Center,Angie McMahon & Ezra Furman.

Best not go back any further through the thread!

3 Likes