Album of the year - 2019

First I’m slagging off an artist when patently I offered a reasoned critique. Once I pointed that out you changed tack. Now apparently I offered comments about other people. Anything else you’d like to be offended about whilst you’re policing the thread? It’s an average album. Feel free to pick apart my selections. Opinions on a forum. Whatever next?

1 Like

I think that threads like this work well when they facilitate members promoting something that has enthused them - i.e. have a positive vibe. Quite rightly Mike acknowledges that his critique is controversial which begs the question of whether he - consciously or otherwise - was intentionally provocative and seeking a response.

It’s Western Stars btw…:wink:

1 Like

Fink - Bloom Innocent.

I’m guilty of flogging this album to death over on the “What are you listening to?” thread, but it’s grown on me to such an extent that it easily qualifies as my album of 2019, … thus far, that is.

9 Likes

No it’s my thread and I’d rather it just be your choice of your album of the year and if you feel the need, why. If you want to criticise other people’s choice in music (which is rather subjective as thankfully we’re all different) start another thread.

If not I’ll just delete the thread altogether.

Thank you in advance.

10 Likes

A good year for British neo-prog.

Two of my favourite bands had what I think are there best releases this year.

Mostly Autumn’s White Rainbow, tributes the death of a long time band member. Exotic blend of progressive and Celtic rock, with fantastic PRAT.

IQ’s double “Resistance”, familiar territory here, awesome production and classical prog with tempo changes blended with rock and rhythm.

5 Likes

It’s “your” thread!!!

It’s the internet. People start threads and they go where they will. Good luck with that. I suspect threatening people with deletion probably isn’t the way to go. Can’t imagine why you think it might be.

My “End of my tether” thread has gone well off topic. You’ll not hear a word of complaint from me.

And it’s great that everyone is offering positive helpful suggestions :blush:

6 Likes

Yes, it would be very weird to complain if people are trying to help…

3 Likes

Wasn’t threatening anyone, just a fact. I really don’t want this thread to deteriorate and go the way others have, and yes it is the internet but that’s not really an excuse. I am asking you nicely to please refrain that’s all. I welcome your choices and why, which was the original intent of the thread. Thank you.

4 Likes

This year has seen some wonderful reissues including Traffic’s Studio Albums at last, several King Crimson LPs, the Beatles Abbey Road and the Kinks Arthur the Decline & Fall of the British Empire and the one and only Quatermass LP. However, it may not be fair to include these.

So this year’s new music that I enjoyed most was

Ed Wynne’s Shimmer Into Nature. If you like the Ozric Tentacles then this is their main man with a stunning solo effort.

Isildurs Bane & Peter Hammill’s In Amazonia. More great songwriting by Mr Hammill and the fact that the great man lives a stones throw away from the Village has no influence on its inclusion at all. There was also a reissue of Van Der Graaf’s Aerosol Grey Machine that was quite superb. I think his K box was last year, but it’s fantastic in any case.

Kate Rusby’s Philosophers, Poets & Kings Superb singing, great arrangements and fabulous songs.

And my album of the year so far

Anthony Phillips’ Strings of Light. I could never have thought an album of instrumental guitar work would transfix me, but this does. From one of the truly great guitar virtuosos who happens to be a very fine composer. This is not the plinky plonk stuff of hifi shows, this is amazingly good captivating music.

And of course Dave Brock’s latest incarnation of Hawkwind released some fine new songs (All Aboard The Skylark) and some less inspiring revamps of old ones.

Looking at posts above I see I’ve missed out on a lot, but there are only so many hours in the year and I tend to play it safe when buying new stuff. Sadly another year has passed without a complete reissue of the Desperate Bicycle’s catalogue.

1 Like

Seeing them in London tomorrow - can’t wait!

1 Like

Album of the year threads on the forum always make me go and listen to stuff that has passed me by or that I wouldn’t usually check out.

I’ve just bought Nick Cave’s “Ghosteen” but haven’t yet listened to it, so I’ll have to reserve judgement.

Everything by The Delines is great, so I’d definitely put this year’s “The Imperial” in there. I just love their sound - my, that voice! I’d encourage anyone who hasn’t yet heard them to give them a listen.

From left field, but it’s garnered some favourable reviews already (one here), I would add “Incidental Music” by W H Lung. Synths, motorik beats, chiming guitars - filling the, ahem, obvious musical gap left by Kraftwerk, Human League, Echo & The Bunnymen and Hookworms - what’s not to like? It certainly does it for me…

2 Likes

Fink have been on my radar for ages, but not yet explored them in any depth. I’ll check this one out.

1 Like

Hey! lucky you that is a sold out show at a great venue - yes lovely voice. Hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Yep - I was lucky to be on the case when tickets came out. I’ll report back…!

1 Like

anima
johann
six%20lethargies
nerve
lambchop

2 Likes

I did a quick review of my purchases and found that I purchased the following 2019 releases: Areni Agbabian - Bloom, Avishai Cohen - Playing The Room, Maria Farantouri - Beyond The Borders, Fink - Bloom Innocent, Bill Frisell - Epistrophy, Bill Frisell (Harmony,
Jan Garbarek - In Praise of Dreams, Jan Garbarek & The Hillard Ensemble - Remember Me, My Dear, Bruce Hornsby - Absolute Zero, Nils Lofgren - Blue with Lou, Joe Lovano - Trio Tapestry, Stephan Micus - White Night, Dominic Miller - Absinthe, Keb’ Mo’ - Oklahoma, Ben Monder - Day After Day, J. S. Ondara - Tales of America, Michele Rabbia - Lost River, Enrico Rava - Roma, Ziv Ravitz - No Man Is An Island, Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars, Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars: Songs from the Film, Sting - New Songs, The Gloaming - 3, Wadada Leo Smith: Rosa Parks: Pure Love, Wadada Leo Smith - Divine Love, and Neil Young - Colorado.

It has been a good year so far and there are many fine albums and picking out the album of the year is going to require some more listening time.

…and of course there will still be more albums coming out before the year is out.

Life is Grand!

3 Likes

I still have my “The Medium Was Tedium” single. Don’t know why - it was awful then, and I’m fairly sure it hasn’t improved with age.

I’ve only bought a few albums that were released this year.
My favourite is Anima by Thom Yorke:

I still intend to buy Norman F***ing Rockwell by Lana Del Rey and Ghosteen by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Both of which I have enjoyed when streaming music from Tidal.

5 Likes

It is between The Imperial by the Delines or Nick Cave’s Ghosteen for me. Can’t make my mind up!

3 Likes