Album of the year - 2019

Ok just seen your reply. Will order it immediately.

Thanks Prem.

1 Like

Yes if you love the original this will knock your socks off. Just listening to it is making me smile. Just beautiful.

1 Like

Just ordered from Burning Shed. Many Thanks Andy.

Looking forward to this now.

Prem.

1 Like

Prem, do you have the Philips original vinyl of this rather than the RCA 70’s release, if so i’d be interested in your comment re sound when you receive the remix?

Chris

Hi Chris, I have both. Once I have had a chance to listen to the new version and my Philips original I will let you know my thoughts.

Prem.

That’s great, thanks for that Prem…incidentally have you noticed the prices on Discogs for the 69 Philips, I wonder if they actually ever sell for those amounts?

Looks like they do Chris - one sold for more rthan £1,300!

Hi Chris, yes since the great man died prices have gone through the roof. I bought my copy several years ago for £200. It really plays like new absolutely no crackle or anything. Sadly there is a small tear on rear of cover. It’s probably worth £800 comfortably now. Absolute madness.
I will get back once I’ve played both versions back to back.

Prem.

Great, when I met my wife she came with the Bowie Philips…in very good condition…and plays well too…that’s the vinyl …

5 Likes

Lol.

If I ever try online dating I’ll remember that for my ad “looking for true love and a mint first press copy of Ziggy Stardust, please send picture of dead wax”.

5 Likes

…the Bowie Philips was accompanied by a an early press of “Forever Changes” and an apparently highly sought after “Principal Edwards Magic Theatre-Soundtrack”…can’t win em’ all…shortly after we were married and had no money whatsoever she presented me with an SME 3009 arm for our first Christmas…what a woman!

7 Likes

Live album of the year for me has to be this gem

She may be 70 this year, but Sonja Kristina sounds as perfect as ever. The queen of acid folk. I saw Curved Air’s debut performance and was stunned by how perfect they sounded. They are one of those bands that I simply pre-order when they release anything and have never been disappointed.

4 Likes

I remember playing their first LP, the picture disc one, where the picture was sandwiched between two pieces of vinyl, nice album it looked great…dreadful pressing… totally off centre and incredibly noisy. I haven’t bought a pic disc since…many are issued now maybe they’ve changed the manufacturing process?

Air Conditioning is a great album - shame about sound quality on early picture disc. I have the reissued picture disc and a plain black vinyl copy, which sounds fine, as well as the expanded CD.

1 Like

I’ve not bought much, but these are my top 3.

8 Likes

Some of my favourites this year…

Claire M Singer - Trian

Spaceship - Outcrops

Charlie Cawood - Blurring Into Motion

Diagonal - Arc

4 Likes

I particularly like the Arc album @Denis_Anderson

2 Likes

Teskey Brothers: Run Home Slow

3 Likes

Can’t remember who recommended it but the Big Thief album Two Hands is really very good.
Thanks.

1 Like