Album of the year 2020

That told me

1 Like

I wasnā€™t trying to tell you anything but perhaps you may want to place your 2020 album of the year in the thread. Iā€™ll get around to it myself but for the moment I can not make up my mind. A lot of great music to choose fromā€¦

FWIW - Ghosteen was my pick for last yearā€™s album of the year.

1 Like

Well spotted

1 Like

It was said or written in humour. Well spotted as well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In terms of what album reconnected me to a pre-Covid state of mind ( and reminded me what Iā€™d been missing by not seeing this band in person throughout lockdown), there is only one, for me:

I know itā€™s not the album of 2020 in general terms, but if music connects us to friends, social community and love, and (heh!) to @TheKevster, then, personally, this is IT!

4 Likes

Listened to bits of this - Iā€™ve seen Nick Cave at full welly at Alexandra Palace (fantastic) many years ago and Ship Song always, always makes me cry (happy tears - early moments with my new born daughter many years ago) & so Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve got the intestinal fortitude to listen to the whole thing. But, yeah, album of the year.

4 Likes

This continues to blow my mind

5 Likes

This one passed me by and resulted in an instant trip to the big river to have it arrive by Sunday, looking forward to it already, good start to the weekend, thanks for the heads up.

Itā€™s certainly not profound but a regular spinner of mine this year has been Bob Moses, Desire, find it a perfect antidote to some of what 2020 has brought.

1 Like

Idiot Prayer is a great choice @crispyduck. I watched the live stream (both times!). Stunning.

My favourite this year though is from a new Zealand artist, Reb Fountain. This album was released earlier this year but only got to have the release gigs recently. (Lucky we can at all!)

Track 6 ā€˜Donā€™t You Know Who I Amā€™ is a standout.

Cheers, Ian

Rumer: Nashville Tears the songs of Hugh Prestwood.

What an incredible songwriter he is.

Not really heard a voice like this since Karen Carpenter.

8 Likes

This is in the Qobuz sale.

1 Like

Igor Levit: Beethoven Sonatas

1 Like

Thanks - will have a listen!

1 Like

Very nice. Love it too!
But this is a 2019 release

Iā€™ve been listening to this today, itā€™s a fantastic recording, thank you.

1 Like

Shiā€¦ youā€˜re right;-)

1 Like

I like this Jazz album called Unifony II by Eggersman, Borger, Parks and Gudjohnsson
Cherrs, Iver

4 Likes

Am getting so many recommendations for albums I havenā€™t heard of - must do this more often!

3 Likes

Iā€™m sat on 4 spikes at present- more painful than a fenceā€¦
Neil Young- Homegrown
Dylan- RARW
Bowie- Changes Now
War on Drugs- Live Drugs- this could be the late winner- listened via cheapo dac but vinyl arriving this pm. Have got to go to the beach with my dogs- by order- so will have to listen later and make my final decision. Will post this nail biter of a decision to put you out of your collective misery later today.

2 Likes