Albums which blew you away on first listen

it was around 1985 for me, a real shock!

image image

6 Likes

Brothers%20Osborn

Brothers Osborne

Will Hoge- My American Dream, just gave this a spin and was reminded of how it gripped me when I got it last year. Heavy country rock, it’s a full on politically committed album with heartfelt lyrics, great songs played and sung with fire and class, it grabbed me and dragged me 8ntinte the music and the feel from bar one. Unusually for a 2018:album it runs to under 45 minutes, real old-school style.

2 Likes

Casualties of cool.
Devin Townsend.
Sonic soul food.

Peter Gabriel - CD streaming

Bought this after seeing it posted recently possibly by @Polarbear. Only having his Hits and Misses double CD and early Genesis, this was a bit of a surprise to say the least. Maybe my new Innuos Zenith toy is revealing too much! This needs to come with a health warning! My ears are being assaulted by lots of strange sounds from all directions! But it’s fantastic! Maybe the picture is the health warning!

Phil

7 Likes

8 Likes

Peter G’s best album in my view.

1 Like

Mike, you may have gathered that I am giving up my CDX2 for an Innuos Zenith. It’s that that is revealing at this moment how amazing this album is. The amount of clever stuff that has gone into the arrangements is considerable. Just before I was listening to Selling England by the Pound which gets better and better as the tracks move on to the end. This album is even better with all the experimental sounds on it. Right now listening to the xylophone on Lead a Normal Life. So beautiful!

I think I will keep the CDX2 and use it bare with its DAC because whatever was happening with my system seems to have got sorted out and CDX2 was sounding on a par with the Innuos a few days ago.

Phil

Agent Fresco - Destrier. I’d have considered this band and album outside my normal listening tastes. But on first listening I was astounded. The energy and sensitivity communicated in the music are stunning. Great and clever recording, and best listened to in it’s entirety.

220px-Agent_Fresco_%E2%80%93_Destrier_album_art

2 Likes

Before my time, but imagine being, young, beautiful, hip and your inner-city pad in London in 1969 and dropping the needle for the first time on the first track of this…

8 Likes

Only just recently came across this.

From 1957 !

1 Like

In a similar style.

Although this was listened to under the influence of LSD so unsure of the particular aspect of mind blowness - had help from others to put the record on and turn it over of course.

2 Likes

15 Likes

Something delightful from 2018.

1 Like

First Man original Motion Picture Soundtrack.

Just finished listening to this album. Absolutely loved every minute of it. Especially ‘landing scene’

3 Likes

Every now and then needed to stay sane

3 Likes

recently, the track « everything is everything « , by Gabriel Garcon Montano.

Posted under the wrong category…but ok…

3 Albums all heard in one afternoon, on a portable cassette player, while driving through Northern France with 3 mates in a Renault 4.

Atom Heart Mother - PF
John Barleycorn Must Die - Traffic
Stormcock - Roy Harper

Happy Days

That’s a great shout Bhoyo. Recently went to see them in Birmingham.
Superb. Shame only about 70 people turned up.

Prem.

1 Like