% Allocation in your system?

I think you are right. I would be amazed (but delighted) if someone offered me that price.

2 Likes

Eeh, lad, considering that my first house were a cardboard box in the middle of tā€™ motorway, ā€¦ you were lucky, etc. etc.

7 Likes

Mike, get your wife to give you a hand with figuring out the percentages :+1:t3: ATB Peter

2 Likes

Well, I say house, it were more of a hole in tā€™ground

Well, I say hole, it were more of a puddleā€¦

4 Likes

My second house was 1990

But to try to get into the actual topic, I am (in very rough terms)

Sources 40%
Pre and power 30%
Speakers 20%
Balance cables and fraim 10%

1 Like

Here are my rough percentages and as lob sided as they come:

Source: 21%
Preamp: 45%
Amp: 14%
Speakers: 10%
Mains, cables, Fraim and room treatment:10%

ATB Peter

1 Like

Surprised me as well, but In my defence, I got the Sibbles at a very, very good price, and being active, they need 4 runs of NACA5. Supplement that with a few forays into third party interconnects - nowt extravagant, mostly W*******, and it just about tops the cost of the speakers.

And no overpriced mains cables either!

1 Like

Hereā€™s mine

Source - 18%
Amp - 27%
Power supplies - 10%
Speakers - 18%
Cables - 18%
Rack - 9%

1 Like

Source 23%
Amplification 48%
Speakers 22%
Cables, stand, power 7%

1 Like

My allocation is almost identical to @GraemeHā€™s, as the only significant difference between our systems is our sources (full monty digital vs analogue). Percentages calculated from current UK new costs. Long live the monkfish :fish:

Source: 40.3%
Pre: 44.5%
Power: 8.5%
Speakers: 3.2%
Cable: 1.5%
Support: 2.1%

4 Likes

Hurrah!

G

2 Likes

But not as much of a place as speakers, which is what surprised me, given the influence speakers have on the sound.

1 Like

If you find a pair of loudspeakers that works with your room, both acoustically and aesthetically, then thatā€™s a fix for me. One could spend a lot of time and money searching for something ā€˜betterā€™ which successfully ticks both these boxes.

Iā€™ve had so many ā€˜speakers in the past that niggled in a ā€˜it must be the roomā€™ kind of way; S600 no bass, Proac 1SC mid-bass hump etc etc. The Tab 10 Sig. just nail it, regardless of price.

G

1 Like

Nailed it there Graeme. If the speakers just donā€™t work in your room then nothing you do further up the chain is going to fix that.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised by your ā€˜no bassā€™ assessment of the S600. Lots from mine - much more than the SBLs, and very clean. Not as much as from DBLs, but then the S800 pretty much did that.

ā€˜ā€¦It must be the roomā€¦ā€™

G

2 Likes

Interesting question. My source has multiple boxes and cables connecting them and the preamp is built into the source. Valued in that way;

Source 55%
Amp 23%
Speakers 22%

1 Like

All-in-one 48%
Speakers 48% (incl subwoofer)
Cables 1%
Network/storage 1%

1 Like

We have spent a lot of time trying out speakers in our lounge but happily not spent any unnecessary money thanks to out excellent dealer. Speakers are the hardest thing to get right. Itā€™s as much about how the room plays them as how they play in the room. Good speakers must resolve, time well, and all that, but most of their characteristics are about the room they are playing in.

This is why we happily ran Spendor S5e on the end of 552/500 until we found another speaker that actually sounded better to us, as opposed to just different. And probably also why the speaker we ended up with was a brand we have never rated - until we heard it on the end of our system, in the intended listening room. That particular quest took over a year. The search which had previously resulted in the Spendor took several months.

1 Like

Well, I donā€™t exactly skimp on the speakers (they cost Ā£6,950). In reality, the speakers are the most important component to me as all other components are built around it. Itā€™s just that I overspent on the ā€œaccessoriesā€ :grin:.

3 Likes