% Allocation in your system?

The replacement cost of my hifi is now what I paid for my first house :grimacing:

2 Likes

Oopsā€¦

Support/cables. 30%
Amp. 28%
Source. 25%
Speakers. 17%

2 Likes

Source, including power supplies. 24%
Pre/power. 35%
Speakers. 20%
Fraim. 6%
Cables, switches etc. 15%

Quick edit needed as I had completely overlooked those pesky Powerlines.

1 Like

Not sure about patterns, Iā€™m fairly surprised how many have a single source cf. how many have multiple. Iā€™ve spent c. 1/3 on source, but have that between 3 sources! Clearly I need to upgrade my sources to keep the balance right. Then upgrade my amp accordingly. Thenā€¦ ohā€¦

2 Likes

Mine is about 8 times the cost of my first house :laughing:

1 Like

Sources (TT & streamer): 50%
Amplification: 29%
Speakers: 6%
Accessories (stands, cables, switch): 15%

Cost of replacing the above would be approximately a third of the cost of replacing the vinyl collection. Time to check the insurance policyā€¦

1 Like

Frightening :astonished:

1 Like

Houses were cheap in the mid 80s :blush:

1 Like

Bought my first house in 1990 just before a property crash. Fortunately I bought my second just before a property boom - swings and roundabouts!

1 Like

Thatā€™s the best thing about percentages, they donā€™t betray the spend!

1 Like

We regularly pass our first flat together in the centre of Edinburgh and how I wished we could have kept it. I could buy my system three times over on the uplift in value over the last 30 years.

G

2 Likes

If only is a much used phrase in the English language!!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s why I chose % rather than cost. That and the comparability.

G

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit surprised at the relatively low percentage allocated to speakers. I donā€™t know how many contributors here are American, but I think our US cousins are more speaker-biased than the source-biased UK.

1 Like

Indeed, if only Iā€™d stayed in my first hovel I would have been a rich man today, after living in a hovel for the last 40 years.

4 Likes

Source 8% (NDX, no PS)
Pre 26% (NAC52)
Power 48% (NAP500)
Speakers 18% (S600)

But source, pre and speakers are no longer available, so hard to be accurate.

1 Like

Hmm - my first house was Ā£1300.00, second was Ā£11,000, third I canā€™t remember - about Ā£25000 I think, 4th I canā€™t remember (Ā£35000?), 5th was Ā£60,000 and current was Ā£242,000.
In my 1st house I had mostly home-made equipment, speakers about Ā£45.00, amplification probably about Ā£50.00, source maybe Ā£20 to Ā£30 - but in those days I had more sources than now (TT, Cassette, Radio and, later, R2R). So, say, 1:13, roughly. Second house had, eventually, Naim kit. NAP22,NAC120 and Naim 702 or something, say about Ā£400, plus Pioneer PL12D, two R2R tape decks, NAD tuner - say about Ā£200. So a ratio of 3:55 or 1:17 approx. I had much the same kit in the third house, so ratio about 1:40. 4th house, towards the end of my time there, was NAC52, active SBLs with 135s, sources much the same except for a Rega Planar 3. I think the Naim kit cost about Ā£6000 when I bought it second hand, so I guess a retail price would be about Ā£12000. Rega was - what? a coupla hundred? The house sold for about Ā£65000, so letā€™s say a much more reasonable 1:5 (really? that seems highā€¦). Current system retail should be about Ā£46000, probably a little more. Hard to know what the value of the house is now - Zoopla has a very over-optimistic valuation of Ā£790,000 but I think that is way over the price. But taking that price the ratio is 1:17, so back to where I was with the second house.
An interesting exercise - though I suppose otherwise quite meaningless.

1 Like

Yeah - I had a flat in Edinburgh - though not near the centre; Springwell Place on Dalry Road. Bought for Ā£1300, sold for Ā£2300 IIRC. Value now - Ā£150,000. Makes me weep. I could easily have kept the flat, rented it outā€¦

1 Like

Zoopla valuations are pure fiction, worked out on the back of an envelope I think.

1 Like

If you assume the preamp is a kind of bolt-on to the source, as I do, thatā€™s the classic source first hierarchy that I have followed - for the musical enjoyment, not the vogueishness.

Mine (rounded):
Source: 31%
Pre: 23%
Power: 23%
Speakers: 10%
Cables: 9%
Support 4%

Sounds lovely.

Cost of system today is approximately 5.5 times what I paid for my first house in 1981. Or approximately double what we paid in 1993 for the house we now live in. Looks scary but isnā€™t really. Our house is now worth more than we could comfortably afford to pay a mortgage on - now that is scary.

1 Like