Amazon HD Streaming issues

The ones I saw did, but regardless it’s indeed good advice to get one with spdif out. The mu-so DAC will surely be better than whatever these cheap boxes have built in.

The problem with spdif is that it is limited up to 192/24.

And so is Amazon so what’s the issue exactly?

1 Like

Isn’t the problem the conversion to pcm from the hdmi input?
Most dacs only accept pcm I think?

Limited? Really?

AFAIK most sources allow you to select PCM for the output. But my experiences is indeed with IPTV settop boxes, TV’s etc. But I have no idea if you can configure anything for devices like Chromecasts and/or Firestick, so you make a good point. Worth checking before going that route.

Otherwise accept indeed that the box will do the conversion. I have no idea if this can be done bit perfect or not. Regardless select one with an S/PDIF out so at least your DAC will do the analog conversion and be able to reclock the signal.

I am using MM, optical max 96/24, coaxial 192/24, now USB is different, it can be up to 384/32.

Can you hear the difference?

of course, even a person of my age (67) i can hear the difference from Roon to Audirvāna, and of course it depends on the DAC, the music you play and different kinds of cables.

But please disregard everything I said, it is immaterial if you are happy with what you have.

No, honestly interested if you can hear a difference. Great for you if you can.
I am happy with what I have, but that doesnt mean there’s not room for improvement, but with my tinnitus, probably not that evident to me.

1 Like

Hi Clare,
Hope you are well.
Just completed my Uniti update, and was reminded that back in Sept you said you had 4 things to do before getting to Amazon.
Just wondering- are we nearly there yet?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Next up is update to Core software, which will likely be early next year.
Then something we can’t talk about yet.
All the time we continue to explore potential of Amazon, Apple etc. Will keep everyone updated.

Hi Claire, just to add my voice to the clamour (?) for Amazon integration. I appreciate there are other priorities but hopefully you’ll be able offer something more specific by way of timescales in the first quarter of next year.

I’m currently running the Amazon music app on my TV and connecting to my Mu-So 2 via the ARC link. Sound is fine, though limited to CD quality. TV interface is pretty basic however, hence my interest in the native integration. (First post!)

1 Like

Ok, thanks Clare. Not holding my breath then. But feeling a bit let down that I was sold this as already integrated.

By who your dealer? Naim have never suggested they support Amazon or will. Suporting streaming services is reliant on the service in this case Amazon wanting to play ball with smaller hardware manufacturers. They dont supply an open API like other services so you have to get their approval to be able to move forwad. So far like Apple they are only interested in intergrating with bigger companies. Look at the hardware that supports it they all use specific platforms that have a big market share. No disrepect to Naim but it doesnt reach anywhere near the market share of these. They only suport Sonos, Bluesound, Heos, or DTS Playfi supported gear.

1 Like

Yes, my dealer. Who was wrong.

Shouldn’t be a Naim dealer then.

Auralic have today announced Amazon support through the Lightning ds software for their devices.
Time to start looking for a g2.1 or wait for Naim to integrate Amazon for the ndx2?

1 Like

Planning to take out a trial sub and compare with Qobuz on my Vega G2 when I have time. Probably early in New Year.

Roger

2 Likes

Indeed I have been thinking about their streaming transports for a while. I also have a preference, perhaps even a love for Naim though, and can just see the ndx2 sitting in the space on my rack. Streaming is important for me as the future lies with this I feel. It would be good to have Naim on board with Amazon, my preferred stream subscription service.