Amazon HD Streaming issues

They are not advertised as Roon Ready that is only for devices using RAAT, which Linn didn’t want to, so they use Songkast. They are like Sonos and Kef in this regard. They support Roon but are not Roon Ready they are Roon Tested which is very different and relies on the Manufacturer to send them a device to test. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t work they just haven’t had one to test. Most DACs are not Roon tested yet work. My Chromecast speaker is not Roon tested but works as it’s Chromecast.

1 Like

I know all those little details, but the point that I am making is that the Roon support for Linn streamers is sub-par. Even Danny does not know which model is which. :frowning:

1 Like

Given that you know all those little details, it is perplexing that you don’t seem to understand @CrystalGipsy’s point…

Do the Linn streamers incorporate RAAT? If not then I guess they’d be like any other networked streamer potentially allowing UPnP, Bluetooth, Airplay, Chromecast connectivity if licensed and supported by Linn.

@Alley_Cat, Roon communicates to the Linn streamers using the Linn (ancient) proprietary Songcast API, as I stated clearly a few comments above, and because of this, it is officially classified by Roon as Roon-tested (as opposed to Roon-ready)!

AFIK, the general Linn user consensus is that the Linn Songcast protocol sounds much more superior to the Roon RAAT, so there is no reason for Linn to switch over RAAT.

However, I think I read somewhere that someone from Roon advertised that the Linn streamers were Roon-ready, (maybe it was a typo, I believe), which I quoted sarcastically, but was taken literally, too seriously by @CrystalGipsy.

PS: I am pleasantly surprised/ totally shocked by an insulting comment by someone here that I do not understand @CrystalGipsy. :roll_eyes:

Hopefully Linn/Roon can work together to improve things for you :+1:

Best wishes

AC

1 Like

I know and understand all the good brand names like Naim, Linn, Roon, etc. are doing their best, but obviously there are some inherent resource limitations, which impact innovations, time-to-market.

I am not complaining anything, just stating the facts.

@Naim_The_Dragon , so what do think you understand from what he has been saying?
What on Earth are you talking about???

I have no stakes in this quarrel, but FYI from my perspective it was impossible to see any sarcasm or quoting. You wrote “Roon has been advertising the linn streamers as roon-ready.” Don’t rely on anyone getting the sarcasm or the history of this having happened some time, somewhere (as far as you recall) :wink:

No quarrel !!! Not sure why it is perceived as such?

No offense, but I used to work in Frankfurt, and Zu(e)rich for more than 7 years, so I guess I know how the German trait tends to take everything so seriously.

I was tongue-in-cheek, but you do seem to be a bit upset. However, it is not an exclusively Germain trait to need any indication for a statement being a sarcastic quote to understand that it is a sarcastic quote. Even as an Austrian I didn’t get it

No upset, mon ami :slight_smile:
I guess I was too cryptic & (too much) light-hearted because I was in a hurry, my bad.

Edited: Yes, I was extremely upset and annoyed by the other one, you know who. Who’s in the world gives him the God-given right to talk down to people?

Yeah, I didn’t mean to focus on that part :slight_smile: I was just trying to let you know that it was impossible to understand that you had been quoting something sarcastically. In the interest of furthering mutual understanding in the thread.

Can someone help me please? - I am still confused!!

So if an Amazon Firestick 4k (c£50) supports Amazon UHD - what happens if I connect it to the Muso 2 using the HDMI input and try to use the Amazon Music App on my phone to control content?

Are we saying this does not work - or does this enable Amazon UHD - just not as elegantly as a fully integrated solution - which I understand is in the queue but behind other priorities.

I use Amazon HD Music - but have not yet purchased a Muso 2 - so understanding what is and is not possible is a pre-requisite before investing in a Muso 2.

Many thanks to any of you out there who can clarify - or correct any misunderstandings!

The HDMI input is HDMI ARC only, so the Firestick isn’t going to work direct into a Muso. Sorry.

To get Amazon Music out of a firestick you need an AV amp that can handle PCM audio at 192/24 You can’t plug it in something like the Muso it needs to output video as well to operate.

Thank you ChrisSU and CrystalGipsy for your helpful explanations about why the firestick does not enable access to Amazon UHD streaming - guess I will just have to wait until this integration becomes a priority for Naim. All the best Chris

It’d not down to Naim . It’s down to Amazon for allowing it they don’t have an open API like the other two. Currently they limit support to Sonos, Blusound and Playfi enabled devices which all are bigger brands. Hopefully they team up with Naim and allow them access to.

There’s hdmi audio extractors available for not much money. Not sure if any exist that have an HDMI ARC out as well, but otherwise you can just use one of the other outputs like S/PDIF or even the 3.5mm jack.

Not all hdmi work with spdif. The hdmi converters often take multi channel and take it down to stereo and output it to rca or mini jack. These don’t convert the hires for spdif or optical.