Ambient music

I was curious if there are any fans of ambient music in the community? Some of my past favorites are: Enigma B Tribe Deep Forest …

Also worth your time Penguin Cafe **** check out the song Cantorum.

4 Likes

yes I’m a big fan but more in to stuff like Yagya, Martin Nonstatic, Tyco, All India Radio, Eno, Aes Dana, Stars of the lid, Biosphere, Miktek…the list goes on and all available on Tidal

3 Likes

I also love ambient and chill out music, all of it but especially the stuff from Buddha Bar and from Claude & Jean-Marc Challe (Select Colection)…

imagen

imagen

2 Likes

Big fan also, currently listening to RY-X both albums are very good. Unfurl and Dawn.

Long time fan here too. Although much prefer using “Ambient” music amongst many other genres.
Long listening sessions can be made more poignant with careful selection of something to turn down the heat.

1AF968FF-4DFF-4B7E-8137-356ACCEB4226-2506-00000334C8612B67

Laraaji has been busy in the recent years. Definitely one to check out.

2 Likes

You guys have got me in the mood now for a session of Buddha Bar tonight, and maybe some St Germain thrown in as well, great work @anon63788981 starting this topic :star_struck:

3 Likes

If you like Ambient, like we do, I would definitely give Bliss (Danish producer duo) a try. My wife and I love them.

Also see Bliss Wiki

3 Likes

I forgot all about Bliss they are really blissful. The singer Sophie Baker is wonderful. I’m going to listen to other folks recommendations and see what else is out there. There was a time and we had a Tower Records and a marvelous CD store down in the Palo Alto California and they would let you listen to everything that they had. I’ve spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars buying Windham Hill Music and putumayo just to name a few labels. Happy listening to you and your wife.

1 Like

Useful thread. I have enjoyed what I would generally think of as minimalist music, electronic and otherwise. Arvo Part, Nils Frahm, Bing and Ruth, A Winged Victory For The Sullen etc but now have some wholly new artists to explore
Thanks
Bruce

2 Likes

Don’t want to de rail the thread here, but curious to know what’s your favourite Cafe del mar album, is that too main stream? Or the topic for another thread? I’d always loved 5, a lot of great memories and first stroll down the ambient/chilled genre, it got me hooked. If you have one of course… :slight_smile:

Not sure on Caf del Mar as got 3 or 4, I like other Hernan Cataneo stuff as well, but is this ambient?
Listen to a fair bit of Mixmaster Morris Aphex twin, Robert Fripp, Eno, Harold Budd, Orb etc on vinyl mostly. Penguin Cafe are great live, would love to see them again.
The Orb sounds great on good hifi, Jah Wobble base lines being particularly good on some of their tunes.
So much excellent ambient out there, always up for any recommendations to extend my collection!

2 Likes

Hey, I kinda guessed the cafe del mar mention might not be hard core, but like I said, put me on the path. And oddly enough, when the cantorum track was mentioned I searched it on tidal and it came up on cafe del mar 23…
loving the penguin cafe first album, 3 tracks in and melting. It’s going to be a good weekend. Thanks.

1 Like

At the Macmillan Horizon Cancer Centre in Royal Sussex Country Hospital, Brian Eno has created a room that plays ambient music and is decorated in a manner to compliment it. Whilst I have not spent much time in there but did find it relaxing. It is often being used by someone who is living with or beyond cancer and the people who like give postive feedback. Others though are less complimentary, so it seems to be a bit of a marmite experience.

I do occasionally listen to Eno’s Music for Airports album, which I have had since it was released, beyond that I haven’t really explored the genre and might do so having read this thread.

2 Likes

Eliane Radigue started working with Henry/Schaeffer in the 50:s (she should be 88 years old now).

From the 1970’s to 2000 she worked exclusive with an ARP 2500 synth and a tape recorder to produce sort of a drone:ish music that have been a great inspiration for me. She used the technique creating electronic feedback in the big synth. I have tried this with a mixing desk and it was very hard keeping everything under control.

Perhaps more drone than ambient. Lately I have been listening to her Trilogie de la mort which is available at least on Apple Music.

1 Like

Steve Roach has a pretty big back catalogue of mostly ambient synthesiser music. Back in the 80’s the album structures from silence was very popular. Dreamtime Return was a big favourite of mine, mixing synths with native Australian instruments. He has a huge amount of music available on Bandcamp and if you keep a close look he often has pay what you like offers for a limited period on selected albums.

1 Like

I took this cassette with me travelling during my student days in 1994. It was a massive hit in Dahab, Egypt and was played in all the beach cafes…fantastic times. Love this album.

3 Likes

I think it was about 15 or 16 years ago that I came across a fairly mellow CD featuring Depak Chopra and Demi Moore reciting a poem titled “Desire” it is beautiful piece and if you are in love youll want to share it

Dear AR I’ve been collecting CDs since they first came out. Currently I have to file cabinets full of music. The question as to what are my favorites I’m the kind of guy that really likes almost all music and continue to search. I’m not certain if you’re outside the US but over here in the States we have ambient music from the southwest. You can find American Indians chanting and others creating music out in nature. Some of this has been defined as celestial. As for my favorite music I’ve always made listening CDs 4 my friends and holidays that I send out. It’s kind of fun pretending you’re a disc jockey making playlist that complement all the songs. I’ll create a thread with Little Folks doing folk rock over here the states so you guys can sample. Sayonara

1 Like

Good choices ! Café Del Mar and Brian Eno are wonderful

2 Likes