AMG lookup

I suppose the phones will be red hot this week. Glad I made the post.
Thanks all for your input :grinning:

Just one note:

To all ‘potential upgraders’ to 1.7c.
Get Naim or your dealer to post a prepared CD-ROM with the software.
Burning a correct image is a pain, especially as there aren’t that many computers with cd-rom drives any longer.

The installation procedure is easy and takes around 10 minutes.

I can confirm that 1.7c works well and music metadada lookup is resolved.
Adam

1 Like

The Naim attitude to announcing the Unitiserve update 1.7c seems a little odd. I realise that Naim might prefer this update to be dealer installed, but it seems strange not to announce its availability to the user community. Presumably they fear being indundated with requests? As already mentioned, the software download section only mentions 1.7b.

Presumably like many others, I was waiting for some announcement after the development of 1.7c was mentioned here last year, but nothing happened so I presumed we were still waiting. Then a couple of months ago my Unitiserve needed attention in Southampton for the dreaded ever-flashing green light. When my dealer got it back the only paperwork received said the BIOS battery had been replaced at a cost of £340. No mention of any software update.

However, when i came to use it I discovered it had been furtively updated to 1.7c during its stay in Salisbury. I had to contact Naim support to get the corresponding update to the desktop client (sent out promptly on a CD) but I must say the new software is a great improvement and much quicker and slicker than the old 1.7b. No more hanging while it looks for a database that isn’t there! Some niggles remain on lack of metadata editing and related issues, which will probably never be fixed, but overall it’s a very welcome update for what is now a legacy unit. Thank you Naim, but I wish I’d known about it months ago!

Hi Steve,

How long does it usually take for naim support to respond? I emailed them on Wednesday morning last week (24 April) and got an automated response, but nothing since.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I discussed this with the support team manager today. Normally 48hrs turn around. He said that he’ll chase it up asap to see what the deal is.

Best

Steve

It would be the case that Naim published on the site the download or instructions to obtain this 1.7C. I have a Unit TB 2 TB and various problems with Metadati start having them. Considering that the service unit in Italy cost about more than € 3,000.00 I do not find it right to suffer these sufferings for those who still use it.

Thanks Steve, not sure if it makes any difference but it was the “uniti-support” email address I contacted as opposed to the standard “support”. I notice that this seems to be run by a separate company so maybe I should have used the standard “support” one instead?

The good thing is you don’t have to ‘suffer’ anymore. Just contact NAIM and get them to ship you an update CD.
I suggest you do that, rather than try to burn a correct CD image from an download update.

@ChrisNZ I’m sure it should be the support email address rather than Uniti-Support which deals with the new Uniti (Atom etc).
Best

David

Thanks David, I thought that might be the case, even though strictly speaking the Serve is part of the Uniti range. I’ll send a note to them as well.

Adam do we just insert the disk into a Unitiserve to install?

1 Like

These are the instructions for the 1.7b update, follow these and you should be fine.

A number of people have had problems burning a disc on a Mac, thus the alternative of getting a disc direct from Naim.

Thanks ChrisSU.

Yes, but at some stage a re-boot is needed. Sadly I cannot remember when that should be.
Perhaps @davidhendon has a better memory?

You put the disc into the Unitiserve and it will read it. After a minute or so it will eject it. Then you just leave the Unitiserve but keep an eye on it. After a few minutes it will restart and the front panel light will start to flash. This goes on for a few minutes and you just leave it alone. Then suddenly the light comes on solid.

What you should do now is shut it down the proper way, so touch the front panel logo which will flash for a bit and then go out. Then you toggle the back panel switch to off and then to on again. The Unitiserve will restart and once the front panel light is solid it’s all back and ready for business. You should be able to discover it with whichever app you use and check that the firmware state is now 1.7c.

Two things to remember. You have to do the updates in sequence so check it’s on 1.7b before you start the upgrade and if it isn’t then you should get the earlier update(s) from Naim’s website and do those first. And if you started the update from anything earlier than 1.7b, you will need to reinstall the Windows DTC if you use that, as it changed with 1.7b

Best

David

1 Like

Thank David and Adam. I did it as described and am now on 1.7c RC1.

I got the cd from Naim and I’m now on 1.7c

After installation according to instruction, I need to do a reboot of the US SSD
normally done by touching the logo in front, blinking logo, turn off, followed by turning on again, blinking logon, and then a firm logo - done.

This time, the logo didn`t start blinking, instead I can hear the disk ejection is working (no cd inside, so no result).

Is there a change in booting procedures in the 1.7c for the US or are there other explanations ?

There is no change in procedure. Sometimes the US in normal use doesn’t respond to the press logo operation. As long as it’s not doing anything at the time, in these situations I have found turning it off just by turning off the back panel switch, wait a few seconds and then turn it on again, is ok and brings it back to normal.

Best

David

I received the Update and Support Disc with 1.7c on it.

Before I install it I just want to check something as it was mentioned above that the new Desktop Client needs to be installed too. However I use a Mac , which uses the n-serve app as opposed to the PC based Desktop Client. Can anyone confirm that the n-serve app (Version 1.4) and Serve update 1.7c work fine together?

Yes, N-Serve is fine. Just do the update as per the instructions and it should instal OK.