Amy Winehouse

10 years after her untimely passing I thought we could celebrate her music.

I’ll kick off with this lovely cover of Donny Hathaway’s I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know.

12 Likes

Stronger 2003 TV appearance

4 Likes

She was such a talent.

4 Likes

Of all the artists who died far too young, this one likely affects me the most. Tragic loss of a wonderful talent.

2 Likes

Just one of the most beautifully sad songs ever.

3 Likes

Fast forward the short interview if you want but don’t miss this version of Love is Blind.

1 Like

Great voice sadly I never took much notice of her until she passed away.

3 Likes

Me too I get really sad when I think of Amy and also very angry at the way she was treated especially in this country, she gave of herself so much and got treated like s*** in return.

So true. While she was alive, my impression of Amy was dominated by news of her wild lifestyle and substance abuse in media. Love her work.

4 Likes

Went to see her at Cambridge Corn Exchange. She was smashed but still a great show and of course the band were very tight and saw her through.

My wife and I had a conversation shortly afterwards and we both knew she wasn’t going to make it, I’m sure others saw the same in her, she just seemed hell bent on a course of self destruction. Terrible thing.

4 Likes

My favourite Amy. Made me cry. I can hear a lot of pain in the voice.

4 Likes

She had so much more to give musically and has spawned a whole generation of sometimes poor imitators but what she did leave us was three fantastic records if you include Lioness and some incredible live performances.

We saw her live at the Isle of Wight festival in 2007 which is a hard watch at times now and sections of the audience where not kind whilst others had clearly come to watch the spectacle rather than hear her sing.

2 Likes

I so wish I’d seen her. Curiously, although I’d vaguely heard of her, I didn’t really ‘discover’ her until last year when the BBC broadcast a repeat of her two performances at Glastonbury from 2007. Since then I have collected most of her recorded output as well as DVDs etc. Such an incredible talent.

I love her interpretation of Donny Hathaway’s song, We’re Still Friends:

3 Likes

Featured on the at the BBC.
Diane Washington’s Teach Me Tonight.

4 Likes

And another cover with Tony Bennet this time I love the arrangement on this beautiful.

5 Likes

And then there’s this one. On the DVD set of the At the BBC collection, even Jools identifies this as a particular highlight. I adore this.

5 Likes

@Clive I watched/listened to this a couple of days ago when I saw your post and it’s been nagging away in my mind ever since.

So I just played it again. It’s magic. Thank you for the introduction.

Best

David

2 Likes

This version of Carole King’s ‘Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow’ is IMHO superior to the over-produced version on the Lioness album. I’ve been trying to find this version for a while, but reading the description on this YouTube clip, it seems that it’s from the soundtrack to the film Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason.

5 Likes

Luckily for us, there is a wealth of material available on YouTube. After watching the above video, this came up in the list of follow on suggestions. This is just Amy singing with Robin Bannerjee on nylon strung guitar performing in a guitar store, but she sung with no less commitment and passion. This is a really fine version of this song.

4 Likes

Superb. Passion and intensity. A unique and irreplaceable talent. Thank goodness we have YouTube.

1 Like