An Appreciation Of 1971

This year 1971 was 50 years ago. It was the time when I really started on my musical journey and what a great year it was. I thought it would be an idea to show and play the music from that year. Maybe some people will have their own stories from that year. So I’ll start with this classic

Yes - The Yes Album

33 Likes

Strolling Bones - Sticky Fingers.

Probably my favourite album from '71 … well, until I think of another one!

“Brown Sugar” immediately had me practicing my dance moves in an effort to impress the girlies, and whilst I can never be sure just how successful that proved to be, I always seemed to have plenty of space around me on the dancefloor. :laughing:

22 Likes

Led Zeppelin IV.

Oh yeah … silly me.

I’d just bought my first ever Les Paul, so set to with a vengeance to emulate Mr. Page …
still trying … unsuccessfully. :roll_eyes:

32 Likes

1971 was the year I moved from buying singles to albums and the first album I purchased was T.Rex - Electric Warrior. The album will be 50 years old this September and it has stood the test of time incredibly well and I still play it regularly, brings back great memories of the ‘70’s

21 Likes

The Who - Who’s Next.

Not forgetting …

'71 was just awash with great rock music, Stones, Zep and the 'Oo, and I’d not long since bought my first “proper” hi-fi … oh yes, turn it UP!

26 Likes

19 Likes

I discovered Herbie Hancock in 1985. In 1971 I was 5 years old. This album represents for me a new era in jazz, something completely new.
In 1985 I was completely dragged by a new world in jazz that begun with In a Silent way by Miles Davis.

6 Likes

Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Progressive rock masterpiece and my Genesis starting point

23 Likes

Janis Joplin - Pearl.

Oh yes.

I’d never, ever, heard a female singer with a voice like that, and I had to have a sit down immediately and have a word with myself … just stunning!

13 Likes

Three more to be going on with

R-708318-1586624955-5477.jpeg R-4137493-1537216935-9753.jpeg R-1795389-1319368947.jpeg

17 Likes

Do I win?

20 Likes

The same for me.
Congratulations for the Gentle Giant of your pic! :+1:

1 Like

It would be extra interesting if posters added some extra personal detail - of where they bought it whether their mates were into it, their Dad hated it, anything personal to make it more than a list of 1971 albums. –
Most of us have a pretty good idea of what the best albums in 1971 were (even if I was only six then).

It is interesting to see the mix of styles and genres and how many are still played today.

.sjb

6 Likes

1971! Such an incredible year for music! Creativity flowed, lyrics were brilliant, influences were wide ranging from blues, to soul to early rock to orchestral to afro-rhythms…I could easily add 20 more to the ones already noted.

3 Likes

I was in my late teens in '71…and interestingly enough our kids (now in their 30’s) and grandkid (10)…love so many of the artists and music from '68 to '75

1 Like

Fair point, I’ll get editing mine straight away. :+1:

2 Likes

It does make me smile this topic has been going for 40mins and look at all the different music so much of it. I think as this topic carries on it will be very interesting to see and read stories from everybody. Thanks for joining in all of you

4 Likes

No mention of this yet? Standards are slipping in here…

26 Likes

Following my above post, 1971 is perhaps the real beginning of the new jazz era , mostly called Jazz rock, but I prefer to call it jazz.
Some of my favourite albums from 1971:

image image image image image

10 Likes

My first big rock concert.

2 Likes