An Appreciation Of 1971

Allman Brothers. Live at Fillmore East. 1971.

Although I didn’t start buying music until 73, ( also a cracking year), I later became a big fan of the Allmans (and also Lynyrd Skynyrd.)

13 Likes

Always liked the illusion of a box that this album represents. Must confess that I came to this after 1971 but I was only 11 at the time so money was short and had to buy as and when I could. So much to buy not enough time with school getting in the way as well. Always remember the old record player I had at the time a buyrite special suitcase style. Top came off that was the speaker and that connected to the bottom half which was the record deck. My dad bought it for me, I remember enjoying that old thing a lot gave me hours of entertainment.

13 Likes

A good year indeed, when I left school and started earning, suddenly more money to buy records with (and upgrade my TT to Thorens TD150). Between then and getting a mortgage in 1975 was the peak of my record buying. And what a good year it was for music, ir at least rock in various guises! I can think of at least 20 albums from that year, all of which I still have (though no longer as vinyl). Of my initial list of 20, I’ve definitely played at least 14 in the past year, some more than once.

For my contribution here I’ll offer this, on the basis that of my initial list it is one of the more obscure and so less likely to feature in others’ potential choices:

Edgar Broughton Band’s self-titled album.

Curious sleeve pic, perhaps offputting to vegetarians… Last played about six weeks ago, the album includes the rather beautiful and engaging Evening over rooftops, that became a mainstay of live oerformances, bringing fond memories of numerous gigs and one of my favourite songs of theirs for that reason. The album closes with the rather haunting song For Dr Spock:

What if the babies went on strike
For a better life to be born in
All of the lights would go out that night
You wouldn’t be saying good morning

What if the thing that holds that together
Decided to change its mind
You wouldn’t care who your neighbour was
There just wouldn’t be any time

6 Likes

Though it was not their self titled album that was released in 1971, which I assume is to what you were referring. but their second,Aquiring the taste.

1 Like

I agree to pretty much each and everyone listed here; just thought I’d mention the good Bayou doctor of said year…

As for parental acceptance, I made a virtue of picking music I knew my dad would dislike and loved every second of it. Imagine my complete disappointment, when I one day caught him tapping his feet to Pink Floyd or some similar band. It later turned out that he was just like me [in reverse] and disliked my music out of sheer father-political reasons.

[We ended up admitting to loving each other’s music pretty much 1:1 :blush:]

12 Likes

A tough listen when you are 11 but stuck with it and now is an album that I enjoy immensely. I used to buy a lot of albums on the cover art alone always found it to be a good way of buying stuff. Local record shop was called Threshold Music. I remember that it had something to do with the Moody Blues. One day John Lodge came to town and visit the shop he arrived wearing a thick fur coat with a blonde on his arm. True rock star status.

14 Likes

Thank-you a great share. In my case, it was 1969…I came home from school and on the RCA stereo console in the living room my military dad, still in uniform was listening to my Jimi Hendrix Album, “Band of Gypsys” . He looked at me and remarked : “This is really good stuff”… I have never forgotten that day.

4 Likes

Bought in a small, independent record shop opposite New Southgate tube station just round the corner from school where we spent most lunch breaks. Much to the exasperation of the (to us) elderly lady who ran it and regarded us long haird louts with deep suspicion. We sometimes even made a purchase. This one came out with me during my last week at school. Still sounds good. A fortnight later I found myself in work with money to fritter away on vinyl. Most of that then came from a shop in Strutton Ground, just off Victoria Street in Westminster.

15 Likes

Quite a few of my favourites already mentioned (Meddle, Who’s next, Sticky Fingers, LZ4).
and throw in a couple more:

and

15 Likes

Another of my favourites, but nowhere near the commercial success of a lot of the others in the thread:

Judee Sill had a tragic life by all accounts, and died very young - but what a talent!

and also an honourable mention for probably my favourite Kinks album - “Muswell Hillbillies”

6 Likes

I was just discovering music outside of the classical envelope; three come to mind:

However, the Stivell I only came to appreciate a few years later.

9 Likes

T Rex - Electric Warrior
Reissue of this masterpiece still have an old beaten up original copy knocking around somewhere on the Fly Label. Remember seeing this guy on tv and thinking he was from another planet.
Jeepster Get It On
Don’t need anymore reasons to buy this…and that cover art

13 Likes

And me!

1 Like

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself
With the epic July Morning and Manfred Mann with his Moog

9 Likes

Alice Cooper had two albums released in 1971 - when bands did that sort of thing.

Second was Killer in November 71 but the first and best ‘Love It To Death’, in fact the best album he has realeased - on which every track is a mini-master piece apart maybe from the cover version we don’t mention anymore.

5 Likes

I remember the first time I saw Yes at Sheffield City Hall, Keith Emerson “riding” his Hammond round the stage. Plus when he did Toccata and Fugue on the city halls big pipe organ, Well that blew me away

Some random geezer’s Top 60 which sums it up - and well if you don’t own over 50 of these already you better start breaking open the piggy bank - pretty much essential for a record collection.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/oldno1/top_60_albums_of_1971/

1 Like

Your record collection perhaps, not mine! I have only 12 of those - and another 12 I have presently thought of from 1971 aren’t even on that list and I rate those more highly than the things on that list that I haven’t got! Some of the ones I haven’t got are OK, but I not good enough for me to spend money on as I’d probably never listen, while others I would simply chuck in the bin if someone gave them to me.

Incidentally, that list includes Paranoid, which was released in 1970!

Love affair with Tangerine Dream began with this release, other worldly, lights out, float off to some other world. Wondering what sound would come next.

8 Likes

Released January 1971 in the US :sunglasses:

1 Like