An Appreciation Of 1971

I couldn’t afford much in 1971 but I did buy this. It’s an American release version, but I think they were imported by WB. It’s possible that I bought it in the first Virgin shop, upstairs in Oxford Street (or maybe that was Europe 1972).

7 Likes

Got into these later but another masterpiece from 1971
Can - Tago Mago

7 Likes

Anybody remember these collections back in the day. Great way for a kid to listen to these records. I have a K-Tel one somewhere I’ll see if I can find it.

5 Likes

My first full year of employment so I had some “disposable income”. So many lp’s to choose from that year I had to be selective.

1 Like

I recall buying a single in 1971 post decimalisation for 45p.

Assume albums were about £2

1 Like

I used to get three singles for £1, or 6 shillings and eightpence each, whilst albums were £1.12.6, or £1.63 in today’s money … happy days!

2 Likes

Looks like your memory is spot on for LPs

3 Likes

And who can forget …

3 Likes

That’s just ruined my evening :smiley:

4 Likes

Nah, I got my years mixed up, in '63, the albums were only costing me £1.12.3 … inflation, eh?

1 Like

September 1971 as Halfnelson
(and reissued a year later as an eponymous album by Sparks.)

4 Likes

ZZ Top’s First Album.

How could I have forgotten about this one?

Just when I thought that Jimmy Page was probably the best guitarist yet, along came the lil’ old boys from Texas, with The Rev. Billy Gibbons to give me someone new to try to copy.

9 Likes

8 Likes

If I could only remember my name, David Crosby’s masterpiece

10 Likes

truly a masterpiece that has rarely received the recognition that it deserves.

1 Like

Summer of ‘71 I had a school holiday job (before school and I reached the mutually agreeable decision to part company, for me to finish A-levels part time - they kept telling me to cut my hair, wear straight leg trousers, a proper plain blue shirt…etc). My job was for the UK WB distributor, just off Oxford St. I spent many lunchtimes it that Virgin shop above the clothes boutique, browsing and listening to tge huge range they carried, including many bootlegs! One souvenir was a promotional 7” version of The Doors’ Riders of the storm / LA Woman

3 Likes

I agree

I remember 37/5 for LPs but not when exactly - I see from your list that would have been 1969. Probably fixed in my mind because that was when I built my first hifi and started buying records!

1 Like

I have most of those already mentioned, but my first love was Caravan In the Land of Grey and Pink. Also Focus Moving Waves.

I was 15 and bought them at Bruce’s record shop in Rose Street Edinburgh. They were played on a Dansette until I got my first decent turntable in 1976 from Russ Andrews.

3 Likes

Not only rock, soul funk too:

image image image image image image image image image image image

6 Likes