An Appreciation Of 1971

My initial totting up was an under-estimate, and I can say I have at least 30 albums released in 1971. Time to post another: sticking with my chosen theme of possibly lesser-known music, this one:
Budgie’s first, self-titled album.
With a track title of Nude disintegrating parachutist woman of course I was intrigued when I saw it in a record shop, so had a listen (so easy in those days). That introduced me to small heavy rock outfit seemingly constantly gigging - I saw many times through the 70s, even, when I first had a car, travelling as far as deepest Wales, their home land (well, Tredagar, some 20 mikes north of Cardiff which was like deepest Wales to a young man reared only a little west of London).

It is a while since I played it (note to self - do so!), though I’ve certainly played a one of their 70s albums in the few months.

3 Likes

Roon tells me I own 47 albums from 1971, although none of them were bought then due to me preferring fizz bags and lollipops.

2 stand out for me as worth a mention that were not mentioned yet

This probably might not have sounded amazing in 1971 and without his subsequent career who knows if I’d have even heard of it (I think I first had a tape of it in 1980) but this is one album that I still often play and it brings a smile to my face.

I’m not a Jazz aficionado but this is a masterpiece…
I’m Jack Johnson, heavyweight champion of the world
I’m black, they never let me forget
I’m black alright, I’ll never let them forget

.sjb

7 Likes

You’ve all just posted my 70s record collection.
I used to feel unique …

3 Likes

The records that influenced me…
Meddle
Alpha Centauri
Tago Mago

Plus…

imageemphasized text

6 Likes

Surprised to see no mention of Deja Vu by CSN&Y.
Blue, What’s going on, Hunky Dory… what a great year to be 21 - which I was

4 Likes

Apologises if this had been mentioned there is a book on 1971 by David Hepworth (co founder of Q mag). 1971 by David Hepworth review – the very best year in rock music? | Music books | The Guardian

3 Likes

Agree - superb book, which has cost me quite a lot on Discogs! Well wort reading as it gives background to some of the amazing albums released in this year and puts them in context.

2 Likes

The only place where you will see the New Seekers and Slade side by side.

I must confess even now , I have a certain fondness for the original Seekers , along with Roger Whittaker and one or two others such as Glenn Campbell.

Off to stand on the naughty step

3 Likes

I have Deja Vu (the album that is), but I believe it was released in 1970, not 1971.

I’m going to add one more of my favourites. I am a bit of a fan of Grateful Dead, but even more so of this GD spinoff band - “New Riders of the Purple Sage”.

I still remember the immediate thrill of hearing the track “Dirty Business” with growling peddle steel guitar by Jerry Garcia on the John Peel Show back in 1971. The record has been one of my favourites ever since!

6 Likes

Great thread…here’s a few reminiscences

and thread number 71 !!!

12 Likes

Correct. Their 1971 album was the fantastic live 4 way street (recorded in 1970 and published in 1971), that in my opinion MUST be mantioned.

4 Likes

Interesting memory, though possibly flawed? ELP not Yes, perchance? (Or was there a brief flirtation of which I was unaware?)

Yep. Dega vu and Blue were both there as well. And Court of the Crimson King. Yessongs live. Trilogy …

Allowing for inflation, those 50p-90p ticket prices would be about £5.50-£10 today. It really was a good time for live music as well as record releases. Todays prices for popular bands are ridiculous by comparison (all tge more so in my view as they are generally much larger venues so most people are further away).

3 Likes

A wall of appreciation

25 Likes

That’s pretty much my collection from 71. This one seems to be missing.

10 Likes

I have more, keep um peeled

Classic from 71
Great film anybody remember the phone call

10 Likes

Looks great, I wonder how many of us have the same albums. I should fill a few gaps, I’ve only got 22 the same.

1 Like