Andriod on Windows 11

Windows 11 could be a disaster.
Windows has a mixed track record with Windows releases.

Having got a substantial base on to Windows 10 they are now rocking the boat with the majority of users unable to migrate. Introducing bios and security changes is to applauded but this should be for those machines that can support it.
The Android feature (the purpose of this thread) has been dropped for now.
Business users may not change equipment all at the same time and want a mixed base like a hole in the head.

I have two HP PCs, both 10 years old, running Windows 10 with big SSD. sufficient memory and fast enough. One is running 32bit but could be upgraded. But am I going to rebuild Windows to 64bit just for Windows 11 - No I am not.

I prefer to keep my systems lean with ā€˜life stuffā€™ on other drives so I tend to regularly reinstall windows (and mac) as its not really a bother to me.

I successfully installed win 11 on two laptops today both 5th gen processors so not technically supported it went just fine and everything is running well.

Iā€™ve not read all the posts so forgive me if this has been mentioned already.

I use an Android emulator called BlueStacks on Windows 10 to run Android apps. Works very well. Maybe that would suit you?

Hi MC2

iā€™m on IoS, so not an issue. Started teh thread as thought it might be of interest to Windows users who often ask if Naim will ever do a Windows app and so not have to use an emulator.

I have used BlueStacks on other devices before - its very good

1 Like

I think Windows 10 is likely to be like Windows 7ā€¦ people stick with it and donā€™t upgrade because subsequent OS versions are pants and work less well.

@SiBrighton. I was a Simon in Brighton for 25 years. Now Iā€™m older Iā€™m Simon in Barcombe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A great place to live :grinning:

Went to Brighton yesterday for first time in 15 years. God itā€™s as expensive as being in London,.parking was extortionate and the traffics a nightmare.

And donā€™t forget the rubbish ! Iā€™m a native of 50 years (non continuous :grinning:). And this is the first time Iā€™ve started thinking that thereā€™s better local alternatives. Sure the feelings will pass, but itā€™s not ā€˜halcyon daysā€™ at the moment

One of the two parking fines Iā€™ve picked up was in Brighton. A Sunday jaunt to a hifi show. Never occurred to me to check - ā€œsurelyā€ parking on the sea-front would be free on a Sunday?ā€¦ and this was nearly forty years ago!!

Nope.:- thatā€™ll be ten quid please! :laughing: :laughing:

OTOH the money went to the local council, rather than the b****** private companies.

According to Microsoftā€™s health-check tool, my PC is not capable of running Windoze 11.

Iā€™m devastated :scream_cat: :smiley_cat:

I just helped a friend install Windows 11 on a PC that the compatibility checker said couldnā€™t run it. The PC exceeded the published minimum spec by a reasonable margin and Win 11 ran just fine.

Whatā€™s the problem? What does the compatibility checker say is incompatible?

Did it auto install or did you hack the registry?

Neither, we installed it from a USB stick.
Perfectly normal install, no ā€˜hackingā€™ necessary, just a couple of BIOS changes.

1 Like

Canā€™t say that Iā€™m overly worried. The mobo, proc & RAM are six years old. At some point in the next year, I may give it some new bits - then again I may not :laughing:

Have Microsoft changed their position on unsupported PCs not getting W11 updates? Iā€™m sure my laptop would run W11 no problem (7th gen Core i7 7700HQ CPU, meets all other requirements) but I donā€™t like the idea of not getting updates.

2 main issues:
1: Does the BIOS support UEFI boot?
2 Does the motherboard have a header to connect a TMP 2.0 module?

If 1: then Secure Boot can be fixed with a reformat of the C driveā€¦
If 2: then installing a TPM 2.0 module will allow you to do a clean install of Windows 11 from a USB drive.

An i7 4790 has plenty of power for Windows 11 even if it isnā€™t on the supported list, it still meets the requirements EXCEPT for TMP 2.0 support (which can be added as an external module if the Motherboard supports that).

My understanding is that if a full clean install of Windows 11 is done (i.e. NOT using the registry hack) then updates are supported. My friendā€™s PC did start to check for updates and didnā€™t report any errors doing so.

1. It does.
  2. I donā€™t see any mention of it in the mobo manual, so I assume not. (six year old Gigabyte top of range mobo)

LOL, Iā€™ve just done a complete reformat of the c:\ drive after a Windoze10 update trashed it! - took the opportunity to replace the 2x2TB HDDs with a brace of SSDs. It took days to rebuild my c:\ (1.3 TB worth of installed system, apps and some bl**** big games), so Iā€™ll take any excuse to not have to do it again! :grinning:

No Windoze 11 for me thenā€¦
I think I can count that as a lucky escape, and I will contain my disappointment by firing up the PS5

:laughing: :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.