Any gamers amongst us?

Prefer RAIDEN

:smiley:

Anyone remember Bungie before Microsoft?
They had a series of games called Marathon released in 1984 and on the Mac no less !

An excellent trilogy that kept me up many a late night.

Bungie released the source code of Marathon 2 in 1999 shortly before being acquired by Microsoft, which enabled the development of the Marathon Open Source Project and its enhanced version of the Marathon engine, called Aleph One allowing to play the game on modern versions of Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. The trilogy itself was released by Bungie as freeware in 2005.

Great expansive areas to explore, switches cunningly hidden, plenty of aliens to splatter.

1 Like

Not sure whether Kings Quest, Police Quest, Simcity, Transport Tycoon and C&C Red Alert work on an Xbox, but these were the games I played a lot.

Can’t get near our Xbox One X or PS4 as my 11 year old is the boss of them now…

1 Like

PS4/XBOX1X here. Always play with zero volume and the HiFi on. Its a great wind down for me. I mainly play GTA Online on PS4. Have done since launch on PS3! Can’t imagine how obscene my play time will be but well over 100 days I imagine! Maybe a lot more I daren’t look! I will get the PS5 as soon as its available on there also!

1 Like

YES! The Marathon series was AWESOME! A truly great game that PC users were a tad envious of.

I eagerly awaited Bungie’s next first person shooter… Halo: Combat Evolved, which was publicly unveiled by Steve Jobs during a keynote address. I was subsequently dismayed when Bungie was bought by Microsoft and Halo was snatched away from Mac users to became an Xbox exclusive. It wasn’t until I purchased an Xbox 360 that I started to begrudgingly forgive Microsoft… until it died with a ‘red ring of death’ - grrrrr! :smile:

1 Like

Classic gamer here, used to enjoy Doom which still runs on an iPhone3 and Unreal Tournament 2003/4 which I play on my Mac.

I just run a VM with Windows XP or Server 2003 as a desktop runs it nicely!

Real racing 3 on IPad maybe 5 years ago. But finally it tired me. However I played 2 years.

Only games I play are Chess and Cards. Strictly analog… you know it’s best!

I’m not really a gamer; I played Doom and Sims back in the day when work was tedious. Now I play Seaport on iPad, but I’m getting bored with it.

1 Like

I played Eve for about ten years. It is one of the hardest and most addictive games you can play. From mining basic ores to building super ships, Titans, that take six months to make, requiring the cooperation and defence of hundreds of players. There is a new, light version that can be played on iPads and iPhones called Eve Echoes without a lot of the complexity and treachery of the original but is certainly not for those who like shoot ‘em ups or think that resurrection and losses are pain free.

1 Like

A little late coming to this thread, but I have (and use) : PS4, XBox 360, PS2, WiiU.
I like stealth type games (or ones that can at least be played that way :
The Last Of Us. I suspect that TLOS 2 will appear as one of my Christmas presents this year!
Dishonored (all 3 in the series)
Tomb Raider - although the Angle of Darkness is frustrating because of various glitches
Medieval - I was given the PS4 version last Christmas - still haven’t got round to playing it
Resident Evil - up to RE 5. Didn’t like RE6 and gave it to the charity shop.

Currently replaying Lego Hobbit on the PS4.

My boys gave got x box and I was going to get the new release one for when they come over but liking the look of ps5. I don’t own an existing console so all new.

Decisions, decisions…

Got both an x box scoprpio and ps4 pro but havent played a games for six weeks now due to diying hi-fi upgrades but will soon be playing games like judgement, days gone, sekiro and others. Gamings the most immersive playing experience there is so much deeper than video or music listening. You can literally spend all day completely absorbed in what you’re doing and miss dinner and toilet breakes without knowing it. I’ll be buying the ps5 next year but am really disappointed in both consoles not having a dedicated optical output for true SQ esp as sony have the 3D tempest audio as a game changer, areal pity and missed oppotunity.

3 Likes

Not video games, but I play and write RPGs (almost always played in the ‘Theatre of the Mind’ style).

Never been into gaming but bought an Xbox and Forza7 because it was supposed to be a great way to learn some of the better known circuits. I was particularly keen to spend time on the Nurburgring. Trouble is I have never figured out how to select a particular car and circuit and stay with that.

I got Xbox series X last week and now my biggest problem is to choose which game to play. Gamepass offers many games to choose from. I don’t own any xbox games but with that subcription based service I don’t actually have to buy any.

I’ve been playstation user since ps2 and atm I have both xsx and ps4pro. Although I got so disappointed in ps4pro’s turbine jet noise that I chose to go back to Microsoft device. I once owned original Xbox.

Newest generation of consoles are both pushing gaming forward. Whichever path one chooses will certainly be a leap forward. I chose Xbox and so far I have gotten more than I got while upgrading from ps3 to ps4pro.

1 Like

My son’s PS4 Pro seems to go crazy fan wise with even undemanding games (at least you’d think unless they’ve been coded inefficiently).

How much is the Game pass thing?

I’ve just pre-ordered a game for my son for Nintendo Switch to get some ‘magical ladel’ he’d not get with the physical game card.

It beggars belief really that download codes for digital versions tied to a user account are generally more expensive tha untied physical purchases that can be sold on the second-hand market.

I guess the marketing model must work and people are happier for instant gratificaction irrespective of cost.

Just bought two other Switch games which would have been just under £100 as downloads, saved £16 getting the physical game cards, just have to wait 2 days for delivery (an eternity surely :grin:).

I am not a gamer, but out of curiosity, why do people have an XBox and a PS? Surely one is enough. I guess you maybe in transition but there are some that play on both right?