Any gamers amongst us?

I was watching Eve promos when it was being developed because I am interested in the designs of the ships, worlds etc, but I don’t play them. I can see how you spent 10 years playing that game.

Did you feel relieved or strangely empty when you finally finished with it?

Some games are platform specific.

I guess some of us have different devices in different rooms.

I have an uboxed XBOX 3 I purchased about 18 months ago in a silly Amazon sale, how daft is that.

Yes, I guess if you are really into games and there is a new game that looks immense but on the other platform, the temptation is there to just get the other second hand.

1 Like

I think in general the software companies want cross-platform releases but there are always some that are exclusive or work better one one platform vs another.

It’s all a bit VHS vs Betamax etc I suppose, but in addition with digital platforms for music/video/games one platform is likely to hook you into their ecosystem if you buy things digitally rather than on discs/game cartridges (how old does that sound :smile:).

1 Like

An odd one too, I bought the original PS3 simply as it had phenomenal processing for the time (and could play my PS1 games), but primarily to use as an early BluRay player - it ticked lots of boxes but I bought very few game titles and I abhorred the user interface.

Yeah, I bought a PS3 to use primarily as a bluray player too.

1 Like

Someone rightly described Eve as electronic crack cocaine. I never really liked being part of a Corp so achieved as much as I could with two characters. The new version is pretty good abd am playing that. It wisely does not go down to the level of detail within the original game such as ammo and ammo types. Everything still has to be made, bought or earned in combat while skills can take months to learn to a high standard as well as cost a lot of in game money (isks).

1 Like

@Alley_Cat in Finland the game pass ultimate for 3 months is ~35€. That gives you all features xbox has atm.
I remember one ps4pro fan insident with a game. The game was small free to play basketball game still available on playstation network offering. At first console was silent during play session until one update the fan started to go full speed even at game’s startup menu.
@JOF console exclusive games are most likely the reason why many gamers own more than one console. Pc gamers have the largest game offering at the moment because exclusivity is mostly among consoles while console brands usually offer pc version of their games.

1 Like

No longer a gamer, but, way back when, following Doom and Quake, this one, MDK, from Shiny Software was quite a revelation with it’s smooth graphics … and a healthy dose of humour mixed in too.

Anyone here old enough to remember it?

1 Like

@dave-marshall I remember that logo, but my computer was too weak to run the game.
My favorite games were Monkey island and Indiana jones made by LucasArts. Luckily some of those games have remastered editions available for current gaming machines.

Playstation make spectacular cinematic single player games like spiderman, days gone, god of war and ghost of tsushima which take years to develop for while microsoft concentrate on multiplayer type games . I prefer playstation but i also have an x box scorpio for multiplats and some of these can play smoother on the scorpio if the dev does the required optimization, but not always.

1 Like

It’s around £50 and a shame that it’s required on top of the game price. I don’t make any use of the “free” games it offers monthly.

1 Like

Slightly behind the times as 7 has just been announced but I’m trying to find a decent secondhand copy of Farcry 5 with the dlc intact. Anyone played that?

No comment on farcry, but I wont touch 2nd hand if I want the dlc included. The sellers always state ‘dlc may be used already’.

I’ve confirmed from the seller that it is available and managed to get a copy for £15. Somewhat better than the ridiculous new price, if it’s not as described it’ll be returned.

Yes a while ago last year and it was brilliant one of my favourite games of that year. Great story, soundtrack and excellent gameplay especially stealth with some extra stunt challenges and the dlc is okay too. I think you’d be hard pushed to get an unused copy of the gold edition for a reduced price but there’s quite a choice of differing online stores inc e bay which can offer bargains every now and again. I still have my copy on x box and may play it again in the future.

1 Like

Thats a real bargain for the game inc the dlc many hours of great gameplay.

1 Like

Well I bit the bullet and actually dedicated to spec a custom made gaming PC.
Ultimately it has many more uses than just gaming and way more that a console.
Being extremely powerful and fast, I may try it as my Roon core to see what it’s like.

1 Like

Well Farcry 5 turned up, complete with the dlc too. Loving it so far on the PS4.

I’d be interested in the specification / details. It’s about time I upgraded mine; although to be fair, it is running Assassins Creed Valhalla at a good 60fps with “ultra everything”.

1 Like