Any gamers amongst us?

Gave up gaming when kids arrived, just couldnt get the time and the tiredness started to sffect my reaction times, then I got older snd reactions where even worse. Used to play a lot to and online. My son uses the consoles now and is obsessed with Fortnight and RoBlox.

yeah, that’ll do the job! very nice…

although I’m surprised no Blu-ray/DVD drive. I suppose most everything is download these days…

Yep loved it at the time.

1 Like

Still have my George Foreman grille PS3 in the loft. I too hardly used it, was using the Xbox 360 more at that time due to Xbox LIve being so good.

1 Like

No mention of the Nintendo Switch. I prefer the more fun side of Nintendo games. To me they’re the Disney of the gaming world compared to Microsoft or Sony who are more like MGM/Paramount.
My son has the X box Series X but he just plays shoot em ups which has never appealed to me. He did manage to get out of his game den the other day and play it on my LG OLED and the graphics looks stunning.

1 Like

I really hated the interface of the PS3, and wish I hadn’t doen a few updates. Only have a handful of games for it but it was the original so might handle PS1 games when I find them!

I must admit I hate the need for accounts these days for more than basics on most of these platforms.

Much simpler when you could just stick a cartridge or disc in and play.

2 Likes

I missed out on the Nintendo GameBoys etc as they came out when I was in University and had different priorities (ok beer and entry level hi-fi).

When I was in my late 20’s I got a PS 1, it was great, silly linear platformers that were simple but great fun.

I bought a Wii a few years ago when the kids were toddlers along with a balance board - all the Mii characters and Amibo (?) stuff has baffled me. We never used it to its full potential, then it was superseded.

PS3 bought primarily as a BluRay player (my excuse) but hated the interface and never took to the games, though I only bought a few.

Kids had Nintendos 3DS a few years ago and they were amazing value for money, used constantly in ‘free time’ and many titles still used today.

Son had a PS4 Pro in recent years for Christmas, games are either great and age-approrpiate or so-so. Tried Red Dead Redemption 2 for myself and found it incredibly boring, good graphics but tedious.

Got a Nintendo Switch when it first came out. My son snaffled it so got him a Switch Lite last year hoping the original would return to the family room but naturally daughter snaffled it on return to play Dance games and Animal Crossing :laughing:

While the PS platform is probably most advanced I’d have to agree that the Nintendo products are just fun and get used most.

Getting my son Ring Fit Adventure soon, but will really need a proper Switch to hook up to a TV, that means snaffling that back from my daughter or getting a new one for the family room (or for her to Dance/Rumba stuff in her room).

Ultimately there’s gaming and fun gaming - I think Nintendo hit the fun button most of the time.

Oh, and of course I have that XBox I bought 2 years ago and haven’t opened yet, largely put off my accounts/profiles and all that malarkey.

2 Likes

For any ps4 gamers who don’t have these games, you are missing out but no excuse they are £6.99 at argos/amazon: last of us part 1, uncharted collection, uncharted 4, horizon zero dawn. There are others at similarly low under £10 prices. Check hot uk deals where all the bargains have been found and posted.

1 Like

I started out gaming in 1986 on a Commodore 64 playing mostly flight and space sims and driving games (ACE - Air Combat emulator, Elite, Pole Position and Sublogic Flight Simulator 2). I’ve mostly focused on PC’s due to their greater ability to deal with flight-sim peripherals and have a range of Thrustmaster gear - Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar HOTAS and T500RS racing wheel.

I have had the PS2 and PS3 over the years and enjoyed those for Gran Turismo and some sports titles like Fifa and Top Spin 4. There’s no doubt too that the lack of faffing about with consoles is deeply appealing!

A few years ago I built my own cockpit to support my flight-sim activities but it was relegated to the loft when I was getting enough real world flying! Happily during lockdown I’ve pulled it down out of the loft and got it up and running again for space sims and driving games mostly. The technology that has me most excited is VR - I think it’s the single biggest leap in computer gaming since the advent of home computing in the mid 80’s. In particular I love ‘Star Wars Squadrons’ which in VR is absolutely mind blowing - I feel like I really am living out the dreams of that 8 year old boy who was wide eyed at Star Wars in the cinema in 1977. Part of the joy of it is it doesn’t have the crazy learning curve of games like Elite Dangerous - which is also wonderful but complex. It also captures the incredible sense of speed and atmosphere that made the original Star Wars films so beguiling.

Jonathan

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.