Any info about airplay2 update for New Unity’s?

@naimadmin - we’re now in late March - do you have an update regarding this firmware upgrade for the new streamers? Thank you!

2 Likes

Hmm… so there is no Noise out there! I had a lonesome night yesterday so I googled what other companies do. The same boot as we airplay 2 awaiting dumb idiots.
Bose announced it cancelled it announced it - end of 2018 early 2019 now their support talks about somewhere in 2019 the early was deleted.

What makes me so upset is how people get treated. I payed a lot a few people told me this streamer will get airplay - the posts of naim as I posted suggested that this would happen in the near future 1 “1” year ago!

End of March no info - now we have to clarify what a grown up person means with end of March! It could be the latest possible moment …

I decided to sell my streamer - which soundwise I love!!! But I feel so betrayed i want to make a statement not be buyingsheep anymore

@syrinxx: you can buy my atom, im done with naim. i bought it at exactly the same reason 1 YEAR AGO, my bare …
naim told there retailers to say that it will get airplay soooooooon.
NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.NEVER NAIM AGAIN.

chill guys…naim said end of march and you’ve still got one of the best sounding pieces of kit out there. Airplay cant be a deal breaker surely?

1 Like

Yeah, the streamers have Airplay, Airplay 2 doesn’t do much. Anyway, Airplay is the worst of the sound quality options, so don’t sweat it guys.

Well, the units already have Airplay, so that can’t be a dealbreaker. The updated Airplay 2 has arrived on the Mu-Sos and is coming on the new Unitis but it’s never just a simple case of adding new functionality. It has to sound right too. And that’s the tricky bit. Because any new functionality, any new additional code to the firmware will have some effect on sound in some way. The trick is to get it all just so. Naim have said on here they’re aiming for a release at the end of March. We’re not quite there yet, so until then…

5 Likes

What I can say is that I wish Naim would release smaller updates but more often. I understand the new SW release will have not just Airplay 2 but other improvements included. Would it be better to separate these two things? Just when ROON capabilities were added. Naim did not wait with it to include other things but just released it as a stand alone update.

1 Like

good work Richard!, id hate for any update to be rushed and spoil my nova sq so happy to wait as long as naim are happy with it, as after all that’s why we paid a bit more to a company who invest in sound ahead of convenience

@NaimAdmin any new information about the launch of the AirPlay 2 update? “End of March” is gone. A comment on that point would be very thankful - thanks a lot in advance for your openness.

Update rushed??? :joy:

@Hifi-dog. naim are surely in a rush with a uniti/airplay2 update, they must be since they announced it
a year ago. so slow down folks and get prepared for airplay 4…coming to a planet near you.

Firmware update went into Beta Test today; we shall have more news tomorrow – thanks for your patience!

2 Likes

Thank you for the information! I appreciate that a lot. Can you please keep us up to date just a little bit with your progress, that would be great (and calming). Thank you therefore - and good luck!

Thx for the info! Good luck with the test

Since I have a party coming up in June and want to play whole house music on my Naim and other systems, I was just searching for Airplay2 updates. While I am excited to see that Airplay2 is coming for my Uniti Nova, I did figure out a work-around just in case the firmware update is ready before my party.

If you have an old Apple TV (with digital audio out), Airport Express (2nd generation with 3.5mm analog) or recent Smart TV (with TOSLINK out), you can hook one up to your Uniti and connect your Apple mobile device using Airplay2. While I won’t vouch for audio quality, it does work.

@NaimAdmin

Update please?

They work on it. Beta testing! They plan to release the update soon :wink: apple announced it in 2017. Sonos managed to implement it a few month ago maybe a year not sure. Bose also tells their customers for more than a year now that it will come to their products soon! Brave new world.

To be fair I assume naim wants to solve other problems and keep everything else fine! Give them time!

Another option is to join the beta group by replying to naim admin. You will have a better idea what is going on, and it would help Naim particularly if you have a problem. Beta testers are not allowed to tell you what the current status is…as it is Naim who decide when a software update is mature enough to release.

1 Like

Hi Billy, all the latest info can be found here: https://www.naimaudio.com/news/26627/uniti-the-best-systems-get-better-still

Apple often announce things well before they’re mature, ‘announced’ features of their AirPod speaker and now vapourware wireless charging mat are good examples. Naim are implementing a 3rd party protocol, and presumably paying a licence fee for offering it, they need time to incorporate it properly.