Any info about airplay2 update for New Unity’s?

And what about the Airplay2 update for the Uniti series?

1 Like

Stephan, see my earlier post above from a few days back. Latest info from Friday was that things were looking good so, all being well, hoping for a release the week after the Munich show.

Ok, sorry, didn‘t see that

@Richard.Dane how is the finalization of the update (the beta testing) going? Now in the middle of the week after High End Munich, can you already communicate a day for the release announcement? :soon: :checkered_flag:

Thanks for your refreshing frankness! :relaxed:

1 Like

Last I heard just before the end of the Munich show was that a couple of issues had been found and were being tackled, and some listening tests needed to be done. Hopefully we’ll get some official word from Naim by week end.

1 Like

With the update would it be possible, to avoid the plopp when the Naim Nova is awaking from standby mode (muting)? I have a really big peak noise (plopp) to my loudspeaker while switching on the Nova. Many owner have more or less the same issue depend of the loudspeakers. I am wondering that this is not a topic here. Maybe the reason is that the power connection type in UK is different to Germany so that the problem don’t exist.

No noise at all from mine in U.K.

There is no noise, plopp or something else described by you from my Nova in Germany too. Everything is fine…

I guess your problem must be caused by something else. Just open a new topic if you think it‘s a common problem. Perhaps someone else does have a solution already.

I get a “clunk” sound when my Nova wakes up, it doesn’t come through the speakers, it’s a physical sound from the Uniti itself.

if you have nothing connected to the USB’s then you will hear a small relay click when turning on from standby and also a low level ‘pop’ from the speakers, likewise when you switch off. If you have a usb stick or drive connected you wont hear these as power is maintained during standby. On a previous Nova I had i was getting quite a sharp pop on power on, this turned out to be from the proximity of power and ethernet cables, when I repositioned cables it went away and I was left with the normal low level pop.

I also have a small “plop” when the nova wake up.

There is two sleep mode on the nova. You may try to check the server mode is on into the app. This will let nova in “soft sleep”, if it is off it go into “deep sleep” (in this mode you could clearly ear relay switching)

You are right, there is a difference between the “soft” and “deep” standby. With the “soft” standby mode, I always have more or less the “plop” (i mean not the relay click). Sometimes is very confusing because the “plop” can be very loud. Most of cases from “deep” standby mode, the “plop” it’s very small or there is no noise. The server mode doesnt have any affect to this, WLAN or LAN the same. Also there is no DC current on my power line because I have the protection for that, the same, no changes.

I would be very happy, when Naim could explain it technically and could provide a statement there is a solution for that or it is a feature :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. A solution could be to go always in “deep” standby (to press always the power button is to complicated), so it would be acceptable for me to wait longer time to boot the FW. It would require a change in the FW so that I can choose the kind of standby by pressing short time the power button on the Nova or via the remote control.

According to Richard the next update will be on the end of month?? Wow. What does this say? Do they need to rewrite it from a scratch?

woj, see my post from yesterday, above.

1 Like

The naim announcement is “we’ll come back at the end of the month with an update on the situation”

It’s clearly said their are not sure to provide an updated firmware but they will give informations on the end of the month.

Hoping that will be a real release.

No problem, better to wait now a couple of weeks than to wait again 1 year to fix other known issues. And it is better to be informed about it, thanks for that to Richard (the Germans are not open in the communication … I like :grinning:)

It says that these things are complex and they take as long as they take. It’s unfortunate for the user of course, but it’s better to have an update that works as it should than to rush things and release stuff that is not ready. As a member of the Beta group I can assure you that it’s going as fast as it can.

1 Like

You can always ask Naim to join the beta group, as many members do not always exhibit the problem, so cannot fully contribute.

I’m looking at this point a little bit differently.

Seriously, this whole update thing is getting really embarassing for Naim. While the whole industry is on AirPlay 2 already, Naim does postpone the release week after week and now month after month. Almost for two years now. So much time without speaking to the customers until they call them attention to do so.

I appreciate the change Naim does give us information now, but I have to say I partly lost my belief in any word of Naim related to this case. There are so much questions: what‘s really holding back the update for 2 years now, what‘s really the problem and what’s really going on, is there a release date Naim-internally they do not want to communicate, etc.? Whatever, I think loosing faith in the brand’s words is one of the worst things that could happen to the feelings of a brand‘s customer. And I really do not wanted to be feel like this, trust me.

The update will be released sometime when it’s ready and when Naim is satisfied with its results. I can only hope that it‘s damn good respectively flawless and that Naim will do a lessons learned concerning this drama. Till then I will not ask about detailed information anymore.

2 Likes

Why for 2 years? The last FW-update was 1 year ago.
What is so important on AirPlay 2? For me the new features and useability are much more important. Therefore I can wait for a while.
What do German manufacturers do like T+A? They tell you absolutely nothing. I can see that Naim is doing many improvements and good communication.