Any reason why my system takes up to 4 hours to warm up?

@silverback Sorry I wasn’t able to read through all of the posts. I gather you have a building on your property that you use for your hifi…Is it always heated ? or only when you go out there and turn on the heat? I suspect it’s temperature related… AC power gets cold, equipment gets cold. Three… Four hours of warmup and it all sounds good? I think maybe leave the heat on low say 15c so that it takes less time to warm up. I’d also suggest you’re not doing you equipment any favors letting it get cold then turning it on. That’s no different then getting a new piece of gear Delivered and letting get up to room temp before hooking it up and listening.

Doesn’t answer the main point.
If products demonstrated aren’t the same as what you get then I find that very deceptive.
After all those hours it’s gone past the 30 day return time.
“ How is accepted that it can only get better.?”
I just don’t agree there is much if any difference my Naim amp and CDP was great out the box and it still is but I’ve never encountered all these run in wobbles and bad days.
It’s all in the mood of the listener. :thinking: :rofl:

3 Likes

My findings exactly. Even my speakers sounded great straight away and they were brand new and boxed. Perhaps they did improve with time and considering they contain moving components, just like a car, it actually makes some sense.

If I bought new kit (and I always do buy brand new) and it sounded off, I would return it. Also, if I had to wait 4 hours to be able to enjoy music then something would definitely have to go.

4 Likes

@Bjm
Thank you for being honest.
I do agree mechanical moving things “mate “ over time. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I don’t see the point in not being honest and I certainly don’t take myself too seriously! I know my limitations and accept that no way could I determine the improvements brought by certain cables or the nth switch in the chain etc. the way that others can (or claim they can :wink:). This is why I don’t do small upgrades or feel the need to constantly upgrade.

Let’s face it, this gear is very expensive and the higher up the chain, the more ‘attention’ the system needs. That’s why I would never entertain a 500 series - just reading some threads on here about massaging burndies, feeling internals move around in 552s etc. just scares me to death! Thankfully they are also too expensive for me.

1 Like

After a certain level it’s mostly head games and oneupmanship.
That’s why I’m happy to stop at the level I know there is consistency.
I could afford easily a lot of this stuff but why the more you spend the less you get.
Diminishing returns etc.
What’s wrong with being happy I’m not kidding myself.
Cheers. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

Now that’s a movie I should watch again.

Nor, in over 50 years periodically upgrading to where I am now, have I. Of course more has been purchased secondhand than new, but I never noticed anything with kit I bought new. Having said that the only new things I would expect possibly to change were my early, DIY, speakers, and a few years later my first and only new manufactured speakers, IMF TLS50ii - but then they were so wonderful sounding that I guess I spent my time listening and enjoying music through them and not paying any attention to them possibly loosening up.

3 Likes

Slightly off topic perhaps but I’ve not been happy with the sound of my 282 fronted system, sound clinging to the speakers and pulling to the right. Checked all cables seated correctly and made no difference. Read another thread on here about someone was unhappy with the soundstage through their 252 and and it mentioned resetting the unit back to factory defaults. I don’t understand why as I thought that was just for programming inputs but thought I’d give it try and hey presto the I have now have a lovely wide soundstage with vocalists property centered and the sound is now free of the speakers. I purchased the second hand so do not know in what configuration it had been previously used so not sure what doing the reset changed but might be worth a try if you are getting unsatisfactory sound. I had checked it was not in mono so that was definitely not the issue can anyone explain?

1 Like

Hi opus, the room in question is our main lounge so normal room temperature for us is around 18 up to maybe 20,21 in the evening when we move in there and close the doors.

Hi Scramble mine 282 was also purchased s/h so a factory reset would definitely be worth a try, nothing to loose.
Guessing the details on how to carry this out are in the manual, thanks for the heads up, appreciate it.

Yes instructions are in the manual, put preamp into
Programme mode and then hold down display button on the remote. Made a massive difference on mine

1 Like

Don’t want to get into burn it times, run in, settling how ever you want to word it, I know I have a problem hence the thread.
Surprises me how quickly a simple request for advice can turn into something else.
This morning I started a listening session as normal(for me at the moment) couple hours was the warm up plan but decided to try the TT for a change to my surprise we were pretty much good to go straight away, considering the TT and the phono stage were actually both switched off at the plug socket this really surprised me.
So had a couple of hours exploring some old vinyl, then switched to the streamer and played a similar selection of albums, even tried listening to some wav files that are loaded on a usb stick inserted in the back of the streamer, again of the same albums.
Things have definitely changed, all I have done recently is cycle through the input buttons a few times, have checked all my connections for anything loose or not fully inserted correctly that’s about it.
I still have a bit more edge than I would ideally like but at least I have made some progress which is great.

Thanks for that will definitely give that a try.

I wonder if it could be the case you are using switched sockets for the system.
These are very much frowned upon in these circles due to being a break in the supply and over time may be pitted internally on the contacts.
Making me think that a few good clicks on and off have reinstated a better connectivity flow.
Seems more viable than many other possibilities. :thinking:

1 Like

Could this be an effect of cables or plugs or other components used in your new dedicated radial?

1 Like

One possibility is that you now have a more revealing system and are perhaps hearing things that are on recordings that lesser systems may have smoothed over?

1 Like

Morning Skeptikal, the TT and the phono stage are still connected to the original house circuit while the rest of the system runs off switchless doubles in the new dedicated supply.
I totally get your point about hearing more maybe the issue, as I have upgraded items I do get more information off each source.
Even if I play a track I know is not recorded that well you still get masses of information it’s just the harshness gets worse.
I know it’s very difficult to get a system to play everything well, so I expect the good and bad at times but I feel so close to the sound I want just that annoying edge that spoils it.

1 Like

Hi @silverback
Could it be possible even temporarily to connect the turntabke source to the switchless dedicated circuit to try.
It’s just being a main source much more beneficial than put further out of the line.
I’d concentrate on source first as this info is more important that what has been missed or lost later.
Hope you can give it a try. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Morning JimDog, I did wonder because at first the new circuit made the system sound a little shut in with poor dynamics but that has improved since November when it was installed.
It’s the vocals that you notice the edge and also the large dynamic swings can sound harsh at the top end almost like the power is limited.
I would imagine the voice issues are probably due to being in the ears sweet spot of our hearing.
I take your point on a more revealing system that makes a lot of sense as well.