Anyone else ‘Daisy Chaining’ from 2960 to EE8?

No I can put it with the two switches and Router

1 Like

Around 10 metres away from my system in my hallway

Ok… the key thing is the segment length from switch to streamer… and you may find 30+ metres of coiled Cat5e ‘sounds’ marginally better that Cat6. Remember this is only really relevant for a segment physically connecting to a streamer with a DAC built in… (it’s about reducing some of the noise energy from coupling)

1 Like

:+1:. So just a basic coupler sold on Amazon will suffice? You recommend sticking with the two switch cascade Simon? I do slightly prefer it in the current config/ layout

Yep…assuming you are not using ground shielded cables.

Yes the cascade switch is addressing data network related noise from unnecessary processing in the streamer… the discussions immediately above are about reducing voltage transition energy and subsequent coupled noise to the streamer via the Ethernet lead… there may also be a change to common mode currents if the EE8 is not grounded.

2 Likes

I’m not :+1:

Thanks Simon, a technical response that I can understand… more than happy to leave my ee8 6m away from my streamer, stops me thinking about moving it and tearing system down

1 Like

Brilliant Simon. Even before the coupler/ Chord Music is fitted as final link to ND555 I’m loving what I’m hearing. You like Thomas and his room acoustics info are an asset to the forum and a welcome break from some of the conjecture written!! Thank you.

3 Likes

Now I have to make this look respectable for SWMBO :see_no_evil:

1 Like

When I’ve got more time, I’ll do some listening tests by swapping the 2960 with a more basic Netgear Gigaswitch, but that ain’t gonna happen this side of New Year. Also I need to read all the Cisco documentation about configuring the beast; it’s the first time I’ve played around with a managed switch.

Do a factory reset on the Cisco Catalyst switch. Its default sate gives useful audiophile home networking goodness.

You can add an IGMP querier to make the Naim app work quicker when doing discovery, however if you have BT Broadband and their current HomeHub, that has a querier built in already to help the Naim app.

Forthat to be optimal best ensure there is nothing else plugged into the EE8, especially nothing that uses multicast ip group addressing… which many devices do use these days.

So in short on the streamer segment the two switches daisychained provide:

-2960 provides streamer network processing noise reduction
-EE8 provides physical electrical connectivity and serial line phase noise reduction.

But do remember removing some digital noise can result in a less enjoyable audio presentation in some circumstances, so always worth experimenting.

1 Like

Unit came with a factory reset already done, but I did another one anyway via the terminal (more as a learning ecercise). Now using Cisco Network Assistant to have a look “under the hood”.

Don’t use the Naim App, the Allo streamer is an RPi based setup running MoOde Audio.

1 Like

I noted above Simon that the app is working quicker since I introduced the 2960 between the Virgin Superhub 2 and EE8.

Would the reason be as you have suggested with the IGPM querrier (whatever that is)?

G

From default state it doesn’t need much. Turn off unused ports etc.

Once it has a management address trivial to ssh in and make changes or view stats.

When we had 272 we put some traffic rules in place but these are long gone now.

Well if the Virgin hub doesn’t have a querier then almost certainly yes.
Sorry I just re read… the querier isn’t active by default… you have to configure it… so if you haven’t done that then it won’t be that reason.

1 Like

Ok have fun… I have never found the Network Assistant that useful… if you are curious it’s worth connecting via telnet, ssh or even the serial console if you feeling adventurous and learning how to use the show commands and then experiment with the device… there are loads of guides on the web including Cisco’s own 2960 config guide.

BTW if you do learn to connect, then one simple change that is beneficial is to enable portfast on the port facing the streamer or EE8 switch… this means if you powercycle your ee8 or streamer the port comes up quickly rather than going through network loop safety checks.

Started out using the serial console (via PuTTY - which I also use for my RPi streamers), and quickly learned the dirrerence between Switch> & Switch:.
Downloaded Cisco guides -Quickstart, Command Reference & Config- are there any others I should look out for?

Enabled Portfast for the streamer port. I noticed that CNA gave me two option, “enable”, and “enable when static access”, but would only let me select the latter.

Asked my wife if she knew anything about Cisco switches. The reply was a short “Not bl***y likely, I was the IT Director. I just signed the cheques. I had four guys to do the work!” That’s the management for you!

2 Likes

I think you have the key configuration guides by the look of it.
I think you are referring to the port setting applying to a trunk port or an end point port… a static access is typically for a port connected to an endpoint such as a streamer as opposed to say another switch which accepts trunked connections using tagged packets. (Ie how you convey multiple Volans across an Ethernet segment).

I must admit I have always found it helpful to keep reasonably hands on or low level literate as I have progressed my engineering career through senior management in to chief/principal technical officer… it can become very helpful and allows me to better challenge and direct with confidence… but also ensure my team can give me the detail when I need it, and I guess those are the jobs and roles I enjoy :grinning:
If in your 50s and you don’t enjoy with a passion what you do I suspect it must be a depressing place with early retirement being the only attractive door open to you…

4 Likes

Thankfully well retired. Enjoyed what I did, but fed up with management BS.

4 Likes