Anyone in the UK getting any rain?

And now …. my next door nieghbours water meter has sprung a leak, and they are away on holiday until friday. The pavement tarmac has lifted, there is a spring erupting in a hedge/bush but most worrying is his block paving drive has erupted along the pavement line and it’s washing the sand bed out. The water is oozing into my garden/lawn & I have flower beds flooded in places. I’ve set up some brick & sand damming (I have mega major building work going on at the moment) to direct the water out to the road gutter, that seems to be working.
This morning I was desperate for water on my garden & brown lawns, now a few hours later, I have more than I can cope with.
Thames Water might be able to fix it tomorrow, but reading between the excuses lines, probably Thursday

3 Likes

Good grief. How random ( :crossed_fingers:) Just what you’d want to come back to.

Not good. Hope you get it sorted.

Had a good few hours of rain in Warwickshire now, good job too as the river levels are desperately low and I’m keen to go fishing.

1 Like

Just so long as you can still see the tops.

C.

Thanks for the ‘hope’ thoughts Collywobbles, appreciated.
Problem is it’s not ‘my’ leak & it’s Thames Waters job to get it sorted. And will include relaying a section of next doors paved drive

Drove last night to Gainsborough in north Lincolnshire yesterday evening, as we’re catching the Northern Belle train today.

It was raining, very hard.

Traffic on the A1 slowed to 20mph just south of Worksop, then we turned east towards Gainsborough. At times we were wading through 20cm of standing water in the middle of A roads. Much of the way we drove along the centreline of the road to avoid flooding of both carriageways towards the kerbs. It was a bit lively!

When we arrived in Gainsborough, the river level was … low. Bizarre!

Best regards, BF

How long has the dry spell been people?

It’s not so much how long has it been, the problem is many areas already had significantly lower rainfall for months prior to the very low & zero rain from around mid June.
Add to that the periods of above average & record high temperatures have added further demands on supplies.
The concern now is even if we get normal autumn & winter rain, ground water, aquifers & reservoirs will not recover enough for 2023.

3 Likes

We had a load yesterday, filled up my water butt.

Today I water my beans, tomatoes etc with rain water :droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet:

3 Likes

Happier garden this morning.

1 Like

37 drops yesterday in northern Essex.
The radar projections promised much but twice it just disappeared.
80% probability of lashings last night but nothing.

3 Likes

The tops of transmitter masts only disappear in conditions of low cloud or fog.
Derek

So far 34mm overnight on Exmoor and it’s still raining. I’m glad I’m on a hill…

We’ve a major storm incoming, with a warning for 150 to 220 mm of rain overnight and tomorrow.

I’ve just put the washing out on the clothes line…….that should do it😉

8 Likes

With your drawers on the line and me prancing out a Hopi rain dance around what was once lawn we can do no more.

5 Likes

First day of the test match @ Lords, that’ll do the trick

2 Likes

We’ve had a couple of rain showers here in West Oxfordshire and forecast is for some light rain this afternoon with a yellow warning in place for thunderstorms but these can be very localised. I think we are looking at drought conditions in this region until October. My poor lawn and pot plants are just about hanging onto life.

The ground is so dry and hard the rain water won’t absorb into the ground and this causes surface water flooding. Not good when it runs off parched fields onto the roads.