Anyone listen to FM radio any more?

Thread diversion alert:

We can paint the windows, but so long as it’s done with cream paint. We can paint the doors too, but only red, green or blue.

These constraints arise because of the proximity to the Manor House, which dates back to 1208. Funnily enough it has white woodwork around the windows and a natural oak door.

Planning rules don’t seem to have any basis in logic.

Anyway, time to get back to listening to the radio. FM, of course.

1 Like

I use FM in my car, in the garage on an old AV receiver with a little antenna and in the garden on a portable radio.
Inhouse internet radio on my Naim in the livingroom or Heos multiroom in all other rooms.

In the study on my Grundig Yachtboy

6 Likes

There’s surely a chasm between having some questions about the BBC not following one’s EXACT view of the world and, like my muppet brother, substituting the likes of Al Jazeera and RT as your go-to fact buckets.

“A person who believes in nothing will believe anything.”

I have portable radios around the place. With streaming I find that, too often, I slump down in the sitting room, engage the Qute and have to help it find rooms and generally get its act together.

The radios somehow just pick up the station and are pefectly synced from room to room.

2 Likes

I seem to have got away with it…

Had one of those a brilliant portable radio.

Thanks - I think ‘portable’ might be a bit of a stretch!

Me too :grin:

No - but I’ve had a colonoscopy.

4 Likes

What was the reception like ??

1 Like

Crappy?

6 Likes

Yep using a NAT 05 ,still enjoying FM immensely. What a great tuner.

1 Like

I listen FM all days, R3 and Radio Clásica here in Spain. I’ve used a Musical Fidelity Electra E50 the last years. Since Friday I have a new tuner, NAT01.

The radio tunes all stations perfectly, in stereo, but the volume is a little lower than with the MF. 9 position in the Nat in front of 7:30 in the MF to obtain same level in sound.
Maybe need for a service? It is a 1985 model. The serial signal I think is good and must not affect the level sound, is it? The rest works perfectly, displays illuminate very well.

1 Like

I used to listen to FM Radio over the air. My last tuner was a Fanfare FT-1a, I used the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna its a simple all stainless steel whip about 2 meters long looks like a car aerial. Any way it’s a great antenna and because it just a single thin element from 50 feet away it’s pretty much invisible. Best I ever used

Speaking of antennas, I used my rooftop TV antenna for FM reception and it worked perfectly well. It was put up over 40 years ago, nearly 45 years ago actually, and I think it might include an FM antenna, though I can only guess at that. If I ever get another tuner, I expect it will work just fine. It still works just fine for digital HD TV.

2 Likes

I use my NAT05 daily. Signal is pulled in by a Ron Smith Galaxie 23 and to be honest sometimes the sound simply staggers me. Some of the Radio 2 “In Concert” stuff is amazing.
Also I’m a Leeds fan for my sins and I can get BBC Radio Leeds on it for live match commentary. Considering I live in North Wales I reckon that’s pretty good …

Regards,
Steve O.

2 Likes

My NAT 01, used daily here in Oz, permanently tuned to ABC Classic. Definitely my most used source.

Fed by a Ron Smith Galaxie 17

10 Likes

Here in the states I only listen to FM in the car, mostly our local public classical station, KBAQ, which is quite good, and our other public station for NPR.

I stopped listening to FM for music in the 90s as the US corporate radio profit model pretty much sucked the enjoyment of music out of me.

Depends on where in North Wales. I never had a problem back in the day no matter where on the coast or inland.

I’m actually planning on putting my SuperUniti’s FM tuner to work again soon. For the last few years it’s been all streaming. One nice thing about the FM tuner is that when flicking between stations it’s much faster than the streamer opening a new stream.

1 Like