Anyone use Nac 122, 152, 202?

Yes.
I had mine serviced by Darran at Class A a couple of years ago.
It was a worthwhile upgrade.
(Of course, there are other places that do services too, depending on where you live.)

282 is so much better than a 202…

And yet everyone who has one fiddles with the rest of their system… could it be…

It’s quite simple Mike. I’ve compared them side by side at home as I own both and the 282 is just so much better than a 202.

The bandwidth midrange transients…

282 is an end game preamp…

Everyone fiddles with every system that’s the hi fi hobby. Just say it’s only the 282 owners is disingenuous

Look at 552/500 owners buying chord music Ethernet cables and chord 8 switches and ether regens

You don’t like the 282 that’s ok. Please stop generalising.

1 Like

This is a thread about what stonking value the bottom of the range preamps are (though not sure that a NAC202 fits into that category)

There’s a used one for sale at major UK dealer. I’m not sure there’s much more to talk about. This is the time for action!

So find me someone on this forum for whom it’s an and game. As in they have a 282 and are so satisfied with their system the whole thing has remained untouched for a decade or more.

I hear everything you’re saying about 282 v 202 and I mostly agree. Bass for example is tighter and deeper. However, the handling of transients in some systems is glassy and has an almost digital coldness to it and the mids in some systems go awol. You can put it into lots of systems and it will appear to improve what you’ve got. What it won’t necessarily do is give you the synergy of other Naim systems which ultimately is what provides long term satisfaction from a system. 202/200 is one such stepping off point. 252/300 would be another.

Mike. Give it up eh. Each to their own. You’ve stopped at 202 I and others have done so at 282. Simple.

2 Likes

Mike I do agree that 202/200 is a stepping off point

But so is 282/250DR.

so is 252.300/DR

Whether one steps off or not depends on 2 things

the most important is cash. Whether one has cash or not to upgrade

the second is willing to spend it on Naim.

I do like the 202/200 but a 282/250 is a much better amplifier, and your criteria of not keeping the system for 5 or 10 years the same doesn’t really hold much logic.

why are forum members with ND555/552DR/500DR buying switches and expensive ethernet cables?

does it mean the 552/500 is flawed?

No of course not… and the same applies to 282.

I have no desire at all to change my 282 and am very happy with it.

Whether I buy or not some kind of audiophile switch has nothing to do with me being unhappy with my 282.

I know an old forum member who has a 282/250.2 system and a 552/500 system, and once posted he could live without the 552/500 but he could not part with his 282/250 system

so please stop generalising.

3 Likes

It’s very difficult to attribute a specific quality (e.g. glassy transients) to any one piece of equipment in isolation. Substituting a 282 for a 202 is going to both open a wider window to whatever is upstream (cables, connectors, source, mains, etc.) and push more energy at the frequency extremes through the downstream chain. I’ve found that even minor things, like tension in speaker plugs and the way they locate into the speaker sockets caused by stiffness of NACA5 can have a surprising effect on perceived hardness in the sound that might go unnoticed in a less demanding and challenging setup.

Went for a HC2 as second hand it’s not much more than FC2x and, as you say, it future proofs to some extent. We’ll see. Thanks.

1 Like

I started with a single box, a SuperUniti, And this was more expensive than I intended To part with, but I still have it and I still use it in my system. The reason why I bought a well used 300 was simple, I had found speakers which really needed a more capable amp to make them sound good.

I started this thread because I noticed that the ‘entry level’ pres don’t get much of a mention here, and much of the chatter is about the Top three in the classic range.

I like the idea of hifi being good value and of lower cost, in fact the ‘lesser pres’ are probably closer in architecture to the original simple Naim designs and that interests me.

It is highly likely that I will buy one to test some some ideas I have. I might consider a used SN2 as a pre, but that is the topic of another thread.

Great to hear from people who choose the 122, 152 and 202.

2 Likes

I started with Superuniti as well! I just sold it about a month ago after I happened upon an mint NDS (2017). I thot the SU was great, but my current SN2/NDS is certainly better.
I feel like this will be my end system, especially after I max out all the possibly add-ons like PSs and cables.
However, I may also add an ND5 XS2 to include the new streaming boards in my system.
I’ll see how it goes. I know there’s cheaper ways to add things on but I want to be able to control everything with the Nain App.
I’ll bet the 300 sounds great in your setup. And I also feel the lure of a better, but affordable, preamp. Initially, I’ll just add an HCdr to the SN2 pre, and a PS for the analogue section of the NDS. Which would be a 555 PS, I guess. I think that’s the only Naim analogue PS.
Cheers.

Dave

I am sure that the NDS is spot on! And the SN2 a perfectly capable amplifier. I guess I’m just a sucker for the marketing hype of the Nap. Given the box count and cost to implement the ‘Appropriate’ Naim pre I regularly question my nap purchase

1 Like

Much as I love the NAC152XS I don’t think it’s the one either!

Can’t be worse than an SU, can it?:grin:

Well short of telling you which UK dealer has got a used one at an absolute bonza price I can do no more!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.